Fly Surfer Warrior Full Safety System

  • munchkins2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      I would like to incorporate a full safety system into my Warrior
      setup.

      The relaunch Safety is great , but in gusty conditions it is not good
      enough.

      I do like the releasable chicken hook , hated the plastic clip and
      have replaced it with a Winchard snapshackle/ring and rope attached
      to spinning hook on spreader.

      What is best setup for attaching full safety leash , to create
      flapping like a flag totally depowered effect , rather than current
      dragged downwind in gusts like a "Warrior/Maniac" problem

      Not particulary bothered about spinning as still quite new to this.

      Phil
    • gregwalshau
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "munchkins2003" <phil@i...> wrote:
        > I would like to incorporate a full safety system into my Warrior
        > setup.
        >
        > The relaunch Safety is great , but in gusty conditions it is not
        good
        > enough.
        >
        > I do like the releasable chicken hook , hated the plastic clip and
        > have replaced it with a Winchard snapshackle/ring and rope
        attached
        > to spinning hook on spreader.
        >
        > What is best setup for attaching full safety leash , to create
        > flapping like a flag totally depowered effect , rather than current
        > dragged downwind in gusts like a "Warrior/Maniac" problem
        >
        > Not particulary bothered about spinning as still quite new to this.
        >

        > Phil

        As you're still quite new to this I would avoid messing with the
        safety system and get about 50 hours on the water experience and a
        similar time off water in light winds just flying your kite and
        experimeting with landing techniques. I promise you that things that
        are a problem to you now will stop being a problem with experience.

        Try this in 5 knots. Wear gloves while experimenting to protect you
        fingers. Make sure you are well clear of potential victims and have
        room to stuff up and recover. What you can experiment with is landing
        the kite as normal. Once it's on the ground pull in one brake line in
        about 2-3 metres. The kite will flop around a little but should lay
        out with no power and stay down. Certainly noworse than an inflatable
        on the end of a leash. I have done this with a great deal of success
        with my Boom Vector in winds up to 15 knots (using a new control
        system that gives brake steering like the Warriors have.)

        You can also try over braking the kite. It will reverse off the
        ground and float about in the air but it will have greatly reduced
        power. This is recommended by Warrior riders on the UK group. They
        use the normal leash to land then release to a longer leash that
        overbrakes in emergencies. Experiment with these in lighter winds
        before you think about modifying your leash system.

        Enough of this. It's pushing up to 20 knots and I'm off
        kitesurfing. :o)

        Regards

        Greg
      • gregwalshau
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
          PS. For pulling on one brake line to work all the other bridle lines
          have to be competely slack. It's the same principle as an inflatable
          leash.

          Greg