RE: Kiting banned in NC as of Jan 1st.

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hello Dwight,

      Thanks for the heads up. This is a very serious development and poor
      precedent for continued access, perhaps nationally. Can you tell me who
      within the Corp. is examing the kiteboarding issue? It would be good to get
      in touch with them. If the Corp. of Engineers rules against kiteboarding
      access this could be very far reaching indeed for the ENTIRE country. We
      need to get serious about trying to preserve our access now through
      encouraging riders to follow the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines, responsible
      practices and common sense! Kiteboarding in inland waterway areas are also
      being selectively banned now in parts of Europe. Riders need to get
      involved at their local launches and with their kiteboarding associations to
      try to keep access. We stand to lose a great deal if things continue on the
      current course.

      Rick Iossi

      got this note from a windsurfer today. It's not a joke.

      If you haven't already heard, kitesurfing has been banned as of Jan.
      1 at all inland lakes controlled by the division of State Parks and/or
      the Wildlife Resources Commission. This includes Jordan, Falls, Norman,
      Phelps, Badin, High Rock, Waccamaw, etc. The first ticket was written at
      Jordan Lake in April. There is growing concern about possible fallout
      from this onto some coastal sites like Bogue Sound, and even the Basin.
      (Hatteras too?)
      According to my contacts, Army Corp of Engineers is actively studying
      the issue.

      Dwight

    • dixon76710
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
        > I got this note from a windsurfer today. It's not a joke.

        > According to my contacts, Army Corp of Engineers is actively
        studying
        > the issue.
        Dwight.

        Uh oh!
        Previously unconcerned inlander
        MARK
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          G'day Dwight

          Can you tell us anymore, like why is it banned? Is there any chance that the
          decision can be reversed?
          Steve McCormack
          Secretary
          Australian Kite Surfing Association