Kiting banned in NC as of Jan 1st.

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
      I got this note from a windsurfer today. It's not a joke.

      If you haven't already heard, kitesurfing has been banned as of Jan.
      1 at all inland lakes controlled by the division of State Parks and/or
      the Wildlife Resources Commission. This includes Jordan, Falls, Norman,
      Phelps, Badin, High Rock, Waccamaw, etc. The first ticket was written at
      Jordan Lake in April. There is growing concern about possible fallout
      from this onto some coastal sites like Bogue Sound, and even the Basin.
      (Hatteras too?)
      According to my contacts, Army Corp of Engineers is actively studying
      the issue.

      Dwight
    • Rick Iossi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        Hello Dwight,

        Thanks for the heads up. This is a very serious development and poor
        precedent for continued access, perhaps nationally. Can you tell me who
        within the Corp. is examing the kiteboarding issue? It would be good to get
        in touch with them. If the Corp. of Engineers rules against kiteboarding
        access this could be very far reaching indeed for the ENTIRE country. We
        need to get serious about trying to preserve our access now through
        encouraging riders to follow the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines, responsible
        practices and common sense! Kiteboarding in inland waterway areas are also
        being selectively banned now in parts of Europe. Riders need to get
        involved at their local launches and with their kiteboarding associations to
        try to keep access. We stand to lose a great deal if things continue on the
        current course.

        Rick Iossi

        got this note from a windsurfer today. It's not a joke.

        If you haven't already heard, kitesurfing has been banned as of Jan.
        1 at all inland lakes controlled by the division of State Parks and/or
        the Wildlife Resources Commission. This includes Jordan, Falls, Norman,
        Phelps, Badin, High Rock, Waccamaw, etc. The first ticket was written at
        Jordan Lake in April. There is growing concern about possible fallout
        from this onto some coastal sites like Bogue Sound, and even the Basin.
        (Hatteras too?)
        According to my contacts, Army Corp of Engineers is actively studying
        the issue.

        Dwight

      • dixon76710
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@c...> wrote:
          > I got this note from a windsurfer today. It's not a joke.

          > According to my contacts, Army Corp of Engineers is actively
          studying
          > the issue.
          Dwight.

          Uh oh!
          Previously unconcerned inlander
          MARK
        • Kitepower
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            G'day Dwight

            Can you tell us anymore, like why is it banned? Is there any chance that the
            decision can be reversed?
            Steve McCormack
            Secretary
            Australian Kite Surfing Association