Dakine Fusion Seat Harness

  • cp2616
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
      I have just started kiteboarding in the last month. I'm have a great
      time, but I'm having a problem with a Dakine Fusion seat harness. The
      leg straps will not stay hooked. There are two other guys here with
      that harness and having the same problem. Seems to me like a critical
      design flaw using small plastic buckles as critical load bearing
      components. Are we doing something wrong, or should I just stay away
      from Dakine equipment in the future? Any help would be appriciated.

      cp
    • loco4viento
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2002
        I had the same problem with my XT Seat (Dakine). I clipped the buckle
        off of the harness side and using some extra 300# Q-powwerline (that's
        all I had) tied on a ladderlock type of buckle (the same ones your
        harness has for spreader bar adjustment only smaller). No problems
        after that.

        I say get a different brand if that's more comfortable, but if Dakine
        harnesses fit comfortably just change the buckles and you'll be happy.

        John

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "cp2616" <casey_j_powers@h...> wrote:
        > I have just started kiteboarding in the last month. I'm have a great
        > time, but I'm having a problem with a Dakine Fusion seat harness. The
        > leg straps will not stay hooked. There are two other guys here with
        > that harness and having the same problem. Seems to me like a critical
        > design flaw using small plastic buckles as critical load bearing
        > components. Are we doing something wrong, or should I just stay away
        > from Dakine equipment in the future? Any help would be appriciated.
        >
        > cp
      • loco4viento
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          They get loaded up pretty hard when you're jumping sometimes.

          John

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:

          > Seriously though, I've used a Fusion for most of my one-and-a-half
          > seasons riding (quickly realized the Nexus waist harness was a bad
          > idea) and I haven't once had the plastic buckles open. I don't really
          > feel as though a lot of load is on the legstraps when I hang in the
          > harness ( and I have 210lb to load up that harness ) it feels more
          > like the load is transferred through the back of the harness - with
          > the leg straps jsut working to stop it riding up.
          > Steve T.
        • terminalveloce
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
            The new Fusion looks a bit different to mine, but I've never had
            problems with mine coming unclipped. What has happened though is the
            other end of the buckle (short end) has torn out of the harness.
            This happened to me and another bloke I know, but just sew them back
            in with a bit of reinforcing and they're fine (seems a bit poor for a
            relatively expensive harness though). I find the Fusion
            uncomfortable to walk around in with the leg loops done up, but it's
            very comfy on the water, which is what counts.

            You can take a small triangular file and sharpen the "teeth" on the
            buckle. Only do a little bit at a time though. This also works on
            the teeth of ladderlock buckles (like the ones some of us use for
            depower straps) when they get worn. Sharpen them so the teeth grab
            again an they're as good as new.

            Your problem may also have something to do with where you're parking
            your kite - having just started you're probably parking the kite
            overhead a lot, right? This will strangle your bollocks and put a
            lot of load on leg loops, especially if your getting tea bagged
            around, apart from being a dangerous practice on/near land.

            I took the buckles off my previous harness (not a DaKine) and just
            stitched the loops up to fit me.

            Pete