just read it.

  • janwcoffey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2002
      0) The following is my opinion: The leash as a very important peice
      of equipment for a kite to have. It should allways have some kind of
      leash. Let me repeat: It is my opinion that every kiteboarder should
      be using a leash. One more time: Use a leash.

      1) The following is my opinion: If you are riding not shackled in
      (or in some other way attached to the kite other than a simple
      loop), you need to be using an afixed leash. (One attached to your
      person). Why? Becouse if you don't, sooner or later you will let go
      of the kite, and sooner or later someone who let's go of a kite is
      going to hurt someone else. Do you want to be that someoen?

      2) The following is my opinion: Affixed leashes come with a lot of
      issues for the rider. They tangle with the bar, they don't allwayd
      deploy properly. They may leave a rider attached to the kite with no
      way to reasonably control it. They come off when they are not
      supposed to.

      3) The following is my opinion: Grab leashes are problematic becouse
      you can't allways actualy grab them. [see (1)]

      4) My attempt at a solution -FOR ME- is to shackle in and make the
      release handle the leash.

      Please take responsability for yourself and the danger you could
      cause others.

      Now I am done with the whole leash topic which was taking place on
      this list.

      I am going to try and make a release handle leash system (i.e. 4)
      that works, -FOR ME-. If anyone else wants to copy what I do then
      fine, do it, but don't expect it to be safe. I +THINK+ it will make
      me +FEEL+ more safe, for me and thoes around me. That doesn't mean I
      am right. There is no data on this sort of thing for me to base my
      opinions, and I am not qualified to give anyone advice! Let me
      repeat, I HAVE NO QUALIFICATION! Most of the people on this list
      have more experience than me at using a tracktion wing.

      If you are curious: