Knowing our limits

  • hernanhome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2002
      Extreme sports are dangerous. How much risk you want to take
      is many time your choice. In some sports the limits, the point
      where the danger begins is visible. I have been windsurfing for
      20 years and I know that I could handle and have fun in 3 foot
      waves. I know also that 15 foot Hookipa is not for me. I could be
      easily be killed in that conditions. Actually waves this size looks
      not only superpowerfull, they look dangerous. So you dont go out
      there.

      In kiteboarding the danger is not visible. The danger is the
      inmense power that the kite and the wind could generetes.
      So its easy to get in the danger zone without noting it.
      More power, more danger. Its great to jump 30' but is not for
      everybody. If your kite has this power, It could kill you. Its like
      going out surfing 15 feet waves over a shallow reef.
      But any rider with 4 month of experience could hold a 15 mts in
      20 knots. It doesn t seems as an extreme situation but it is.

      Be carefull, ride easy and have fun.
    • silverbacker2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
        > > Can anyone think of another dangerous sport where the dangers are
        > often so unobvious - even to the participants?
        >
        > Steve T.

        very interesting question... perhaps extreme kayaking, where so much
        of the hazard is out of sight below the surface, and clues only read
        (mostly) from the surface behaviour of the water, snags remain
        lethally unseen until encountered...but I think kitesurfing stands on
        its own....what worries me is the ignorance (and potential exposure
        to hazard) of innocent bystanders .....now that's unusual indeed...
        someone earlier likened it to autoracing fans... but IMO it aint like
        that... they know the hazards and pay to accept them..... your
        average beachgoer (me and my wife) oohing and aahing at the
        gymnastics have little idea of the risks upwind of us!
      • flkitesurfer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2002
          All the comments in this thread have been spot on. This sport is
          the most dangerous thing that I have done by far out of a number so
          called extreme activities. I am still learning new ways of getting
          into trouble, even after almost four years of steady riding and paying
          attention.

          This sport looks too easy, and often is just that. The 5 to 10
          percent of the time when the real nasty potential shows can be
          alarming and worth a trip to the hospital. Most riders that I see have
          never heard of lofting or aren't sure how to avoid it. They are
          dragging across the sand or are parking their full sized kiteboarding
          kites in neutral on the beach without a care, unknowingly waiting to
          get blasted downwind. They are like a bunch of fish just waiting to
          get blown out of the barrel. The power of kites to loft in in 20 or
          even as little as 10 mph gusts is substantial. Using proper
          technique, judgment and safety gear may make all the difference. This
          is brought out over and over again in the KSI accounts.

          We are spreading the word but not effectively enough. Some of the
          kiteboarding magazines are showing a stronger interest in promoting
          safety issues. Fortunately, the really serious accidents have been
          relatively few, but they seem to be increasing right along with the
          number of kiteboarders.

          Kiteboarding will probably never be a "safe" sport and that is ok. As
          long as riders are properly prepared and forewarned, have at it. The
          avoidable accidents need to diminish but signs seem to indicate that
          they will continue to increase. I suspect that they will rise until
          the word and techniques on safe kiteboarding practices spread around
          more universally.

          Rick Iossi

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 29, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...> wrote:
            >All the comments in this thread have been spot on. This sport is
            >the most dangerous thing that I have done by far out of a number of
            >so called extreme activities. I am still learning new ways of
            >getting into trouble, even after almost four years of steady riding
            > and paying attention.
            >
            > This sport looks too easy, and often is just that. The 5 to 10
            > percent of the time when the real nasty potential shows can be
            > alarming and worth a trip to the hospital. Most riders that I see
            > have never heard of lofting or aren't sure how to avoid it. They
            > are dragging across the sand or are parking their full sized
            > kiteboarding kites in neutral on the beach without a care,
            > unknowingly waiting to get blasted downwind. They are like a bunch
            > of fish just waiting to get blown out of the barrel.

            well I agree...... but to resurrect an ole english naval joke, it
            depends whose turn it is in the barrel......my concern is the folks
            on the beach, in the parking lots, or just watching, who are
            potentially and unknowingly at risk......perhaps someone has already
            scanned the KSI accident log to see how many non-kiters got put in
            the barrel... my guess (from a quick read) is that herein lies a
            potentially serious liability problem for the sport....which is a
            real pity, because to this aging sailor it's a wonderful fusion of
            human athletic grace and spectacular windforce and green waves.....
          • kiteboard2000
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "flkitesurfer" <flkitesurfer@h...> wrote:

              > Most riders that I see have
              > never heard of lofting or aren't sure how to avoid it. They are
              > dragging across the sand or are parking their full sized
              kiteboarding
              > kites in neutral on the beach without a care...

              "Neutral"? What's that? There IS no "neutral" for a kite, unless
              it's on the ground, or released to a properly functioning depower
              leash. You must mean zenith, which would more descriptively be
              called "lofting position" (the cause of roughly 50% of the fatalities
              to date).

              Mel