[ksurf] Re: big fat boards

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 1999
      In a message dated 99-10-02 10:00:24 EDT, burgy@... writes:

      << I'm thinking of putting some concaves in to generate grip & lift, any
      words of wizdom regarding that? >>

      You'll probably find that while they may generate "grip" & lift, they also
      generate extra work (to build), weight, drag, & directional stability (hard
      to turn). Flat is fast & loose, and easy to build.

      << get 2 fins & attatch them to the board at say 45deg with the tips pointing
      to the outer edge of the board so its semetrical along its middle.
      would the side ways lift generated by these fins cancel each other out giving
      only vertical lift or would the turning moment generated by both these fins
      be in the same direction making this idea a non starter? >>

      With symetrical foil shapes, & centerlines both aligned with the board's (no
      "toe", in or out), the horizontal lift will be in the same direction (upwind)
      for both fins, since they will have the same angle of attack (when viewed
      from above), so they won't cancel each other out. They may or may not create
      vertical lift, depending on their angle of attack when viewed from the side.
      Depending on where the fins are located longitudinally, the vertical lift may
      just add to board drag, by changing its angle of attack to an innefficient
      angle (fins lifting tail reduces board aoa & increases surface contact).

      Personally, if I was to experiment with board width & fin size*, I'd leave
      the other factors on the "fag packets" for now, & just use a plain flat
      bottom & vertical fin(s). Otherwise you won't know if your new board works
      great because of the concaves, fin size or dihedral, or board width.
      *which I think is a good idea

      Tom
    • George Hradil
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 1999
        Please do yourself a favor and copy an established design. The type of
        experimentation you are talking about never yields good performing
        boards unless you are willing to build about twenty variations and
        thoughly test them one at a time. Naish and Jimmy Lewis and F-one have
        done this already, copy them and you will have a board that works.
        Innovate, and be ready for an interesting but disappointing result.

        Having innovated in the past my self I know! I am probably the only guy
        learning to kite surf on an innovative 16" wide single fin minimal
        rocker board, hmmm is it me or the innovative board thats the problem,
        only time will tell.

        Good Luck and Copy

        George,

        oh yeah don't smoke those fags, those things will kill you as sure as an
        overpowered kite on a rocky beach.
      • Ronald Kittag
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 1999
          Hi Burgi!

          > with the trend for super fat boards and massive fins in wind surfing
          > giving true light wind planing performance has anyone tryed short wide
          > boards for kite surfing?

          I've made my own board and it looks quite like what you're looking for.
          It's 190cm long, 50cm wide with a slightly conkave bottom, long flat section
          in the back of the rockerline, has a square-tail and boxy rails as it is
          quite thick (max. 8cm).
          It planes verry quickly and is a real lightwindwonder. It is not so easy to
          jibe because the tail doesn't sink and you are likely to dive the nose if
          you don't care. Maybe a diamond tail would have been better. Another
          drawback of the wide tail is that if the wind get's stronger it's harder to
          dig the rails into the water because the big surface generates a lot of
          lift.
          But I'm still loving this board because it planes so fast and you can ride
          it flat, flying upwind when the wind is not so strong.
          (I've promised to post some pictures of it, but the guy who has the photos
          went fishing for two weeks, so they are still not scanned, but I promise to
          post them as soon as possible)

          Good winds to all
          Ronald

          PS: Since Wednesday each day on the water in winds from 20 to 30 knots,
          yesterday rather 30kn, and for today promised 15 to 20.
          It's windy in Austria and still warm (24°C). :-)