[ksurf] big fat boards

  • burgy@talk21.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 1999
      with the trend for super fat boards and massive fins in wind surfing
      giving true light wind planing performance has anyone tryed short wide
      boards for kite surfing?

      I remember a few years back surfers also tryed this sort of thing, I
      think it was just before windsurfers started using teardroped shaped
      boards. I had a go one one of these tiny little things and being amased
      that it actualy planed at all let alone responded to what i wanted it
      to do. It wasnt quick by any standards but i weigh about 90kg on this
      mushy little wave that shouldnt have got me far at all. I dont know how
      fast it was but i doudt it was over 8-10 m/p/h, ie bellow what is the
      accepted speed for a planing craft.

      A wider board gives you more of a leaver to counteract the turning
      moment generated by the lift on the fin allowing you to carry larger
      fin thus get more lift from it instead of relying on the ammount of
      edge you get in to the water. I realise that the days of sailing around
      on the fin are still a long way off and that looking longingly at the
      30cm plus fins in the shops and thinking "i could use that" isnt going
      to make it so,

      but before i take my plane to this lovely foam blank and get buissy
      with the glass and resin to create my first master peace has anyone
      tryed this before?
      did it work?
      how big was it?
      I'm thinking of putting some concaves in to generate grip & lift, any
      words of wizdom regarding that?
      were still at the ideas on fag packets stage so any input would be
      great.

      Has anyone tried to put fins on a board at an angle other than 90deg
      from horizontal. i'm not sure if i can explane what what i mean but
      here goes

      get 2 fins & attatch them to the board at say 45deg with the tips
      pointing to the outer edge of the board so its semetrical along its
      middle.
      would the side ways lift generated by these fins cancel each other out
      giving only vertical lift or would the turning moment generated by both
      these fins be in the same direction making this idea a non starter?