[ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio

  • George Hradil
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
      Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
      posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
      experience and sound analysis.

      I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
      appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
      amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
      bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
      the upward velocity?

      FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
      speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
      to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
      I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

      Regards George Hradil
    • Dave Culp
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
        >Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
        >posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
        >experience and sound analysis.
        >
        >I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
        >appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
        >amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
        >bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
        >the upward velocity?

        Absolutely! Oh, kites don't have use for upward motion, per se. What
        we *do* have use for, just like a racing sailplane, is being able to
        "dive" the kite, down into it's apparent wind, without actually
        losing altitude. This is a major plus, if and when possible. I'd bet
        most kiteflyers cannot tell the difference between a small thermal
        and an ordinary gust. The difference is great, of course, in that
        thermals can be predicted from visual clues (clouds), while gusts
        normally cannot.

        >FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
        >speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
        >to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
        >I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

        Please do. Perhaps off-list, if you will, so as not to offend anyone
        wiht the extra bandwidth: dave@... Thanks!

        Dave Culp
      • Primoz Cerne
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
          Hi Gorge , Dave and others!
          Sorry for this misunderstanding, I like too the group the expertise from
          Dave and the others. I don't wont to break down the group.
          From my past I have also many experiences to build and fly my tail less
          gliders, so aerodynamic terms are not new for me. For example on the
          races we was able to start with the winch the glider, using the special
          tracking path, push the glider up to 200km/h with the max. winch speed
          of 16-20m/s. The physic is the same, winch is the wind speed and the
          glider on the line is kite.
          Dave can we set up the table of relations from the weight of the kite
          and the surface area. With other words, how much wind we need to keep
          the kite on the top of the window position.

          touch and go
          Primoz

          Web page of SEAJUMP group,
          http://www.olimp.si/seajump
        • David Raue
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
            This kind of technical discussion is what the >foildesign< group is all
            about. Why not post details there so all the technoweenies can benefit?
            It's Foildesign@onelist.com . Seems like that group would love all this
            stuff.
            Dave