[ksurf] Re: footstrap placement and board conversion

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 1999
      In a message dated 99-10-02 02:31:53 EDT, hedwear@... writes:

      << If I understand correctly it will take a lot more wind to plane on such a
      heavy board, but I was wondering if it is at all still possible to surf
      without planeing?

      I really would like to convert the sailboard, but I don't think that the
      method would fit the description of the conversions that have recently been a
      topic in the group. My board is epoxy, and heavy, but very stable. Instead
      of drilling can't I just sink screws that create their own thread? >>

      If the board is not only heavier, but also larger in volume &/or planing
      surface area (indicated by your "very stable") it could actually plane in
      LESS wind. I think it would be pretty difficult to ride a board which did
      not respond to foot steering. Most sailboards will not turn significantly in
      the direction they're banked if they aren't planing. This significantly
      reduces dynamic stability.

      The strap & finbox inserts can be installed in nearly the same manner using
      epoxy resin (polyester resin will dissolve the polystyrene foam core of your
      board). If you just drill & thread the screws in, even if they don't pull
      out (which they almost certainly will), water will still leak into the core,
      adding a LOT to the weight (4 ounces of water weigh 1/4 pound, 250 ml weighs
      .25Kg).

      Tom
      P.S. Let me know if you want more details about the fin &/or strap insertion
      process.