[ksurf] Wipika 8.5 for sale + long lines on XXXL

  • speleopower@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
      I've got another 8.5 Wipika for sale just came on this one. It is in
      good shape and is complete with everything you need. Kite, boom,
      30meters line, quick release. I'm asking $550 USD + your choice of
      shipping, insurance etc.
      This one has been tuned and flys great.
      Finally got to try out some longish lines on my XXXL. I used about
      200ft in about 8mph then the wind picked up to 12-13mph. I got my
      world rocked when it picked up. Lots of fun. The kite flys much
      better on longer lines in my opinion. Up to today I've only used about
      90feet-100ft(off of my XL). On launch it dragged me about 60ft across
      the sand. Good fun. Pretty good jumps waves were about 1-3feet.
      About twisted my ankle off during a crash.
      I will now recommend owners of a Quadrifoil XXXL to go with a long
      line set. I'm going to cut mine down to about 150feet because 200 is a
      bit to long.
      Pray for wind and pray that it does not come up while your flying your
      big guns.
    • George Hradil
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
        Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
        posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
        experience and sound analysis.

        I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
        appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
        amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
        bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
        the upward velocity?

        FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
        speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
        to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
        I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

        Regards George Hradil
      • Dave Culp
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
          >Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
          >posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
          >experience and sound analysis.
          >
          >I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
          >appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
          >amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
          >bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
          >the upward velocity?

          Absolutely! Oh, kites don't have use for upward motion, per se. What
          we *do* have use for, just like a racing sailplane, is being able to
          "dive" the kite, down into it's apparent wind, without actually
          losing altitude. This is a major plus, if and when possible. I'd bet
          most kiteflyers cannot tell the difference between a small thermal
          and an ordinary gust. The difference is great, of course, in that
          thermals can be predicted from visual clues (clouds), while gusts
          normally cannot.

          >FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
          >speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
          >to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
          >I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

          Please do. Perhaps off-list, if you will, so as not to offend anyone
          wiht the extra bandwidth: dave@... Thanks!

          Dave Culp
        • Primoz Cerne
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
            Hi Gorge , Dave and others!
            Sorry for this misunderstanding, I like too the group the expertise from
            Dave and the others. I don't wont to break down the group.
            From my past I have also many experiences to build and fly my tail less
            gliders, so aerodynamic terms are not new for me. For example on the
            races we was able to start with the winch the glider, using the special
            tracking path, push the glider up to 200km/h with the max. winch speed
            of 16-20m/s. The physic is the same, winch is the wind speed and the
            glider on the line is kite.
            Dave can we set up the table of relations from the weight of the kite
            and the surface area. With other words, how much wind we need to keep
            the kite on the top of the window position.

            touch and go
            Primoz

            Web page of SEAJUMP group,
            http://www.olimp.si/seajump
          • David Raue
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
              This kind of technical discussion is what the >foildesign< group is all
              about. Why not post details there so all the technoweenies can benefit?
              It's Foildesign@onelist.com . Seems like that group would love all this
              stuff.
              Dave