[ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
      >Mark Frasier wrote:
      >>
      >> >There is always more wind higher up (using 45 m lines, I felt it all the
      >> >times) but I found them not very useful, especially when you have to
      >> >turn the kite upward after diving it down. This will make you fall if
      >> >you don't have enough wind below. One trick I always do in this
      >> >situation is to turn the board windward (to add more apparent wind) when
      >> >I start to turn the kite upward.
      >>
      >> Buggiers call that "scalloping". I can't seem to make that work ont he board
      >> - it seems to sink too fast. I think a lot of the trouble might be my lack
      >> of board handling skill.
      >
      >Why the name "scalloping" (edging)?

      The tracks that are left in the sand look like the edge of a scallop
      shell... sort of like a bunch of arcs end to end. Makes for slow progress
      but it's better than walking :)

      Mark Frasier
    • David Raue
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
        Hung's right! My kitesurfing skill is only slightly greater than 0, yet I
        managed to plane and get about quite nicely with an XXXL in about 8-10 mph.
        I weigh about 190 lbs. The necessary skill may be with the kite more than
        the windsurfing.
        Dave
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
        • Art Clark
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
            ----------
            >From: dave@... (Dave Culp)
            >To: kitesurf@egroups.com
            >Subject: [ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio
            .
            huge clip full of things to think about....
            .
            Keep the faith, Dave. I for one enjoy reading your posts immensely. I may
            not agree with everything you write, but it gets me thinking & learning!

            Art
          • speleopower@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
              I've got another 8.5 Wipika for sale just came on this one. It is in
              good shape and is complete with everything you need. Kite, boom,
              30meters line, quick release. I'm asking $550 USD + your choice of
              shipping, insurance etc.
              This one has been tuned and flys great.
              Finally got to try out some longish lines on my XXXL. I used about
              200ft in about 8mph then the wind picked up to 12-13mph. I got my
              world rocked when it picked up. Lots of fun. The kite flys much
              better on longer lines in my opinion. Up to today I've only used about
              90feet-100ft(off of my XL). On launch it dragged me about 60ft across
              the sand. Good fun. Pretty good jumps waves were about 1-3feet.
              About twisted my ankle off during a crash.
              I will now recommend owners of a Quadrifoil XXXL to go with a long
              line set. I'm going to cut mine down to about 150feet because 200 is a
              bit to long.
              Pray for wind and pray that it does not come up while your flying your
              big guns.
            • George Hradil
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
                Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
                posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
                experience and sound analysis.

                I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
                appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
                amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
                bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
                the upward velocity?

                FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
                speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
                to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
                I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

                Regards George Hradil
              • Dave Culp
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
                  >Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
                  >posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
                  >experience and sound analysis.
                  >
                  >I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
                  >appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
                  >amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
                  >bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
                  >the upward velocity?

                  Absolutely! Oh, kites don't have use for upward motion, per se. What
                  we *do* have use for, just like a racing sailplane, is being able to
                  "dive" the kite, down into it's apparent wind, without actually
                  losing altitude. This is a major plus, if and when possible. I'd bet
                  most kiteflyers cannot tell the difference between a small thermal
                  and an ordinary gust. The difference is great, of course, in that
                  thermals can be predicted from visual clues (clouds), while gusts
                  normally cannot.

                  >FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
                  >speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
                  >to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
                  >I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

                  Please do. Perhaps off-list, if you will, so as not to offend anyone
                  wiht the extra bandwidth: dave@... Thanks!

                  Dave Culp
                • Primoz Cerne
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
                    Hi Gorge , Dave and others!
                    Sorry for this misunderstanding, I like too the group the expertise from
                    Dave and the others. I don't wont to break down the group.
                    From my past I have also many experiences to build and fly my tail less
                    gliders, so aerodynamic terms are not new for me. For example on the
                    races we was able to start with the winch the glider, using the special
                    tracking path, push the glider up to 200km/h with the max. winch speed
                    of 16-20m/s. The physic is the same, winch is the wind speed and the
                    glider on the line is kite.
                    Dave can we set up the table of relations from the weight of the kite
                    and the surface area. With other words, how much wind we need to keep
                    the kite on the top of the window position.

                    touch and go
                    Primoz

                    Web page of SEAJUMP group,
                    http://www.olimp.si/seajump
                  • David Raue
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
                      This kind of technical discussion is what the >foildesign< group is all
                      about. Why not post details there so all the technoweenies can benefit?
                      It's Foildesign@onelist.com . Seems like that group would love all this
                      stuff.
                      Dave