[ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
      >Dave - excellent theory but you speak of windspeed at the kite - When I
      >(and most others) speak of windspeed this is measured at the beach at
      >ground level - Which is the only practical place to measure it !!
      >
      >then you go out and the wind is probably 6 knots at altitude out on the
      >water but who cares ! as far as we know its still 3 knots on the beach -
      >and those windsurfers will be very impressed.
      >
      >I am not saying your theory is wrong - lets not go there - I am saying that
      >when we kitesurfers speak of low wind planing limit - its most probably the
      >wind on the beach at head level... depending on the beach the wind "at the
      >kite" (as you said) can be anywhere to up to 3 times as much ! (2 knots vs
      >6 knots)

      That brings up a question I've been meaning to ask - is the "wind at 30 ft
      to ground wind ratio" bigger in lower or higher ground winds? Or about the
      same?

      Mark Frasier
    • Hung Vu
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
        Mark Frasier wrote:

        > >There is always more wind higher up (using 45 m lines, I felt it all the
        > >times) but I found them not very useful, especially when you have to
        > >turn the kite upward after diving it down. This will make you fall if
        > >you don't have enough wind below. One trick I always do in this
        > >situation is to turn the board windward (to add more apparent wind) when
        > >I start to turn the kite upward.
        >
        > Buggiers call that "scalloping". I can't seem to make that work ont he board
        > - it seems to sink too fast. I think a lot of the trouble might be my lack
        > of board handling skill.

        Or not enough board volume.

        Why the name "scalloping" (edging)?

        > >A bigger board may help too. I have yet figured out the relationship
        > >between board size and rider weight. There's definitely a correlation
        > >between board volume and rider weight, but I am not so sure about the
        > >correlation between board length, width and rider weight?
        > >
        > >Hung.
        >
        > Hmm...so do you think I should look for a board with a higher volume instead
        > of a larger planing surface?

        I have not done any research nor experiment on this matter (I did try a
        couple boards, but not enough). You may want to do some research and
        experiment and let us know. Just on the "surface", I guess board volume
        could be proportional to rider weight. Larger planning surface could
        help but I have no idea how much for the length and how much for the
        width.

        Hung.
      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
          >Mark Frasier wrote:
          >>
          >> >There is always more wind higher up (using 45 m lines, I felt it all the
          >> >times) but I found them not very useful, especially when you have to
          >> >turn the kite upward after diving it down. This will make you fall if
          >> >you don't have enough wind below. One trick I always do in this
          >> >situation is to turn the board windward (to add more apparent wind) when
          >> >I start to turn the kite upward.
          >>
          >> Buggiers call that "scalloping". I can't seem to make that work ont he board
          >> - it seems to sink too fast. I think a lot of the trouble might be my lack
          >> of board handling skill.
          >
          >Why the name "scalloping" (edging)?

          The tracks that are left in the sand look like the edge of a scallop
          shell... sort of like a bunch of arcs end to end. Makes for slow progress
          but it's better than walking :)

          Mark Frasier
        • David Raue
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
            Hung's right! My kitesurfing skill is only slightly greater than 0, yet I
            managed to plane and get about quite nicely with an XXXL in about 8-10 mph.
            I weigh about 190 lbs. The necessary skill may be with the kite more than
            the windsurfing.
            Dave
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
            • Art Clark
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
                ----------
                >From: dave@... (Dave Culp)
                >To: kitesurf@egroups.com
                >Subject: [ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio
                .
                huge clip full of things to think about....
                .
                Keep the faith, Dave. I for one enjoy reading your posts immensely. I may
                not agree with everything you write, but it gets me thinking & learning!

                Art
              • speleopower@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 1, 1999
                  I've got another 8.5 Wipika for sale just came on this one. It is in
                  good shape and is complete with everything you need. Kite, boom,
                  30meters line, quick release. I'm asking $550 USD + your choice of
                  shipping, insurance etc.
                  This one has been tuned and flys great.
                  Finally got to try out some longish lines on my XXXL. I used about
                  200ft in about 8mph then the wind picked up to 12-13mph. I got my
                  world rocked when it picked up. Lots of fun. The kite flys much
                  better on longer lines in my opinion. Up to today I've only used about
                  90feet-100ft(off of my XL). On launch it dragged me about 60ft across
                  the sand. Good fun. Pretty good jumps waves were about 1-3feet.
                  About twisted my ankle off during a crash.
                  I will now recommend owners of a Quadrifoil XXXL to go with a long
                  line set. I'm going to cut mine down to about 150feet because 200 is a
                  bit to long.
                  Pray for wind and pray that it does not come up while your flying your
                  big guns.
                • George Hradil
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
                    Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
                    posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
                    experience and sound analysis.

                    I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
                    appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
                    amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
                    bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
                    the upward velocity?

                    FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
                    speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
                    to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
                    I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

                    Regards George Hradil
                  • Dave Culp
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 1999
                      >Hi, Dave, I am one of those lurkers and as an engineer I enjoy your
                      >posts, however, I do not feel I have much to add on top of your long
                      >experience and sound analysis.
                      >
                      >I also mess around with radio control sailplanes and I have an
                      >appreciation of the 3-D wind picture which most sailors don't. It is
                      >amazing how many lulls on the water are actually the leward side and
                      >bottom of a thermal. This is significant for kite surfers, can you use
                      >the upward velocity?

                      Absolutely! Oh, kites don't have use for upward motion, per se. What
                      we *do* have use for, just like a racing sailplane, is being able to
                      "dive" the kite, down into it's apparent wind, without actually
                      losing altitude. This is a major plus, if and when possible. I'd bet
                      most kiteflyers cannot tell the difference between a small thermal
                      and an ordinary gust. The difference is great, of course, in that
                      thermals can be predicted from visual clues (clouds), while gusts
                      normally cannot.

                      >FYO there are several small telemetry devices available to measure air
                      >speed on RC aircraft. Should be light and small enough to put on a kite
                      >to measure on kite wind velocity. I don't know about water proof though.
                      >I will e-mail you specific vendors if you are interested.

                      Please do. Perhaps off-list, if you will, so as not to offend anyone
                      wiht the extra bandwidth: dave@... Thanks!

                      Dave Culp
                    • Primoz Cerne
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
                        Hi Gorge , Dave and others!
                        Sorry for this misunderstanding, I like too the group the expertise from
                        Dave and the others. I don't wont to break down the group.
                        From my past I have also many experiences to build and fly my tail less
                        gliders, so aerodynamic terms are not new for me. For example on the
                        races we was able to start with the winch the glider, using the special
                        tracking path, push the glider up to 200km/h with the max. winch speed
                        of 16-20m/s. The physic is the same, winch is the wind speed and the
                        glider on the line is kite.
                        Dave can we set up the table of relations from the weight of the kite
                        and the surface area. With other words, how much wind we need to keep
                        the kite on the top of the window position.

                        touch and go
                        Primoz

                        Web page of SEAJUMP group,
                        http://www.olimp.si/seajump
                      • David Raue
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 3, 1999
                          This kind of technical discussion is what the >foildesign< group is all
                          about. Why not post details there so all the technoweenies can benefit?
                          It's Foildesign@onelist.com . Seems like that group would love all this
                          stuff.
                          Dave