[ksurf] Re: leach broken

  • Primoz Cerne
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1 4:21 AM
      Josh Young writes:
      hi, Ihad the same problem then I swiched to cotton rope.  works great and
      hasn't broken yet.

      Rod. writes:
      If you break it too frequently you may try a longer and thicker one and keep it well stored when not in use.

      From our experiences:
      Don't use the rope, this will make you suddenly the spaghetti all over your legs, dangerous, I thing seriously. Then we talk on the group again about safety and the knifes to cut the lines.
      Reel for the dogs walking works pretty good for me. Try to find this ones with more functions /break, reeling etc./ In all the winch will take your board back automatically on the button press. Hey we are on the end of century!!!!
      Problem rust!??

      touch and go
      Primoz

      Web page of SEAJUMP group, we are still alive:
      http://www.olimp.si/seajump

    • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3 4:03 PM
        What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
        Fin cut?

        If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
        think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
        leash.
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 3 7:28 PM
          It is what happens ...after... your leash breaks that is of most concern.
          The word swim comes to mind.

        • O1withwind@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 5 8:11 PM
            In a message dated 10/3/99 7:06:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Greg.Walsh@... writes:

            > What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
            > Fin cut?
            >
            > If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
            > think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
            > leash.
            I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no problem.
            The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
            upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
            PEACE&WIND
            Josh Young
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6 5:07 PM
              >I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no
              problem.
              > The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
              >upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
              >PEACE&WIND
              >Josh Young

              The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?

              Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
              attach? Sounds interesting.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7 3:32 AM

                | The question still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                |
                | Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                | attach? Sounds interesting.
                |
                | Steve

                When mine broke the pull on my leg was so strong it scared me. I thought my
                leg was going to get pulled off. Somehow the board had submarined and the
                pull as I was being body dragged was scary. Then the pull eased and I
                thought the board had surfaced. It only took a few seconds to realize the
                board was gone. I just purchased a kayak life jacket and will start wearing
                it. These jackets are extra short and don't interfere with the harness. My
                17 years of windsurfing has left me dangerously comfortable on the water
                without a life jacket.
              • O1withwind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7 9:34 AM
                  In a message dated 10/6/99 10:31:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  steverite@... writes:

                  > The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                  >
                  > Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                  > attach? Sounds interesting.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  My leashes mostly got broken when I was bodydragging after a fall. My board,
                  with the leash attachment at the rear, digs into the water sometimes. With
                  wakeboards I found this happens offten for me. Then, with an elasticy
                  plastic leash the board lets go of the water and slingshots right at me. I
                  started using a piece of cotton rope for this reason, and I hook it to my
                  harness so it won't pull my leg off if I fall and the board digs in. Since I
                  swiched I haven't gotten seperated from my board again.
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young