[ksurf] Re: leach broken

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
      Do you think I can use a piece of rope instead of the plastic leach? (Or
      would this be dangerous?)

      The rope has much greater tendecny to tangle around your legs and arms - I
      dont recommend it

      There are thicker leashes - you might be using one for small surf -
      Remember that some leashes are used in 20 foot surf in Waimea and dont
      break ! Get a thicker leash and check that you dont scratch it (this
      weakens it)
    • George Hradil
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
        I have been using 1/4" vinyl tubing from a hardware store. really cheap
        and seems to work ok. They have all sizes, but you must whip the ends
        into loops using waxed twine, because it is not easily tied.

        George
      • O1withwind@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
          In a message dated 9/30/99 4:33:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mtober@...
          writes:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I broke my leach for the third time in a few months, this time a Da Kine.
          Do
          > you think I can use a piece of rope instead of the plastic leach? (Or would
          > this be dangerous?)
          >
          > Does this sounds familiar to you, and if so what kind of leach are you
          using
          > now??

          hi, Ihad the same problem then I swiched to cotton rope. works great and
          hasn't broken yet.
          PEACE&WIND
          Josh Young
        • Primoz Cerne
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
            Josh Young writes:
            hi, Ihad the same problem then I swiched to cotton rope.  works great and
            hasn't broken yet.

            Rod. writes:
            If you break it too frequently you may try a longer and thicker one and keep it well stored when not in use.

            From our experiences:
            Don't use the rope, this will make you suddenly the spaghetti all over your legs, dangerous, I thing seriously. Then we talk on the group again about safety and the knifes to cut the lines.
            Reel for the dogs walking works pretty good for me. Try to find this ones with more functions /break, reeling etc./ In all the winch will take your board back automatically on the button press. Hey we are on the end of century!!!!
            Problem rust!??

            touch and go
            Primoz

            Web page of SEAJUMP group, we are still alive:
            http://www.olimp.si/seajump

          • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
              What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
              Fin cut?

              If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
              think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
              leash.
            • Pat
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                It is what happens ...after... your leash breaks that is of most concern.
                The word swim comes to mind.

              • O1withwind@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 1999
                  In a message dated 10/3/99 7:06:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  Greg.Walsh@... writes:

                  > What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
                  > Fin cut?
                  >
                  > If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
                  > think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
                  > leash.
                  I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no problem.
                  The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
                  upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
                  PEACE&WIND
                  Josh Young
                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 1999
                    >I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no
                    problem.
                    > The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
                    >upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
                    >PEACE&WIND
                    >Josh Young

                    The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?

                    Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                    attach? Sounds interesting.

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 1999

                      | The question still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                      |
                      | Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                      | attach? Sounds interesting.
                      |
                      | Steve

                      When mine broke the pull on my leg was so strong it scared me. I thought my
                      leg was going to get pulled off. Somehow the board had submarined and the
                      pull as I was being body dragged was scary. Then the pull eased and I
                      thought the board had surfaced. It only took a few seconds to realize the
                      board was gone. I just purchased a kayak life jacket and will start wearing
                      it. These jackets are extra short and don't interfere with the harness. My
                      17 years of windsurfing has left me dangerously comfortable on the water
                      without a life jacket.
                    • O1withwind@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 7, 1999
                        In a message dated 10/6/99 10:31:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        steverite@... writes:

                        > The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                        >
                        > Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                        > attach? Sounds interesting.
                        >
                        > Steve

                        My leashes mostly got broken when I was bodydragging after a fall. My board,
                        with the leash attachment at the rear, digs into the water sometimes. With
                        wakeboards I found this happens offten for me. Then, with an elasticy
                        plastic leash the board lets go of the water and slingshots right at me. I
                        started using a piece of cotton rope for this reason, and I hook it to my
                        harness so it won't pull my leg off if I fall and the board digs in. Since I
                        swiched I haven't gotten seperated from my board again.
                        PEACE&WIND
                        Josh Young