[ksurf] Re: leach broken

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
      Do you think I can use a piece of rope instead of the plastic leach? (Or
      would this be dangerous?)

      The rope has much greater tendecny to tangle around your legs and arms - I
      dont recommend it

      There are thicker leashes - you might be using one for small surf -
      Remember that some leashes are used in 20 foot surf in Waimea and dont
      break ! Get a thicker leash and check that you dont scratch it (this
      weakens it)
    • Ro
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999

        Hi,

        My answer is Absolutely no ! Do not try a piece of rope since it is the best way to have your knee/ankle joints torn. Always use some sort of shock absorption element such as a regular leash.

        If you break it too frequently you may try a longer and thicker one and keep it well stored when not in use.

        I hope this has been useful.

        Regards
        Rod.

        rod@...

        ----------
        De: Mark Tober <mtober@...>
        A: kitesurf egroup <kitesurf@egroups.com>
        Asunto: [ksurf] leach broken
        Fecha: miƩrcoles 16 de diciembre de 1998 11:23

        Hello,  I broke my leach for the third time in a few months, this time a Da Kine. Do you think I can use a piece of rope instead of the plastic leach? (Or would this be dangerous?)  Does this sounds familiar to you, and if so what kind of leach are you using now??

        [Click Here!: <http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N841.theglobe.egroups/B15457;sz=468x60;ord=938679958>] <http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/896/?938679958>

      • George Hradil
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
          I have been using 1/4" vinyl tubing from a hardware store. really cheap
          and seems to work ok. They have all sizes, but you must whip the ends
          into loops using waxed twine, because it is not easily tied.

          George
        • O1withwind@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
            In a message dated 9/30/99 4:33:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mtober@...
            writes:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I broke my leach for the third time in a few months, this time a Da Kine.
            Do
            > you think I can use a piece of rope instead of the plastic leach? (Or would
            > this be dangerous?)
            >
            > Does this sounds familiar to you, and if so what kind of leach are you
            using
            > now??

            hi, Ihad the same problem then I swiched to cotton rope. works great and
            hasn't broken yet.
            PEACE&WIND
            Josh Young
          • Primoz Cerne
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999

              Rod. writes:
              If you break it too frequently you may try a longer and thicker one and keep it well stored when not in use.

              From our experiences:
              Don't use the rope, this will make you suddenly the spaghetti all over your legs, dangerous, I thing seriously. Then we talk on the group again about safety and the knifes to cut the lines.
              Reel for the dogs walking works pretty good for me. Try to find this ones with more functions /break, reeling etc./ In all the winch will take your board back automatically on the button press. Hey we are on the end of century!!!!
              Problem rust!??

              touch and go
              Primoz

              Web page of SEAJUMP group, we are still alive:
              http://www.olimp.si/seajump

            • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
                Fin cut?

                If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
                think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
                leash.
              • Pat
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                  It is what happens ...after... your leash breaks that is of most concern.
                  The word swim comes to mind.

                • O1withwind@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 1999
                    In a message dated 10/3/99 7:06:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    Greg.Walsh@... writes:

                    > What is happening when your leash breaks? Big wipeout? Crash with a drag?
                    > Fin cut?
                    >
                    > If you are having crashes which are violent enough to break a leash then
                    > think about what it would have done to your leg without a shock absorbing
                    > leash.
                    I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no problem.
                    The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
                    upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
                    PEACE&WIND
                    Josh Young
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 1999
                      >I attach my leash to my harness instead of my foot so the pull is no
                      problem.
                      > The problem is getting seperated from my board with no way to get back
                      >upwind to retrive it. Thats why I quit using surf board leashes.
                      >PEACE&WIND
                      >Josh Young

                      The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?

                      Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                      attach? Sounds interesting.

                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 7, 1999

                        | The question still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                        |
                        | Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                        | attach? Sounds interesting.
                        |
                        | Steve

                        When mine broke the pull on my leg was so strong it scared me. I thought my
                        leg was going to get pulled off. Somehow the board had submarined and the
                        pull as I was being body dragged was scary. Then the pull eased and I
                        thought the board had surfaced. It only took a few seconds to realize the
                        board was gone. I just purchased a kayak life jacket and will start wearing
                        it. These jackets are extra short and don't interfere with the harness. My
                        17 years of windsurfing has left me dangerously comfortable on the water
                        without a life jacket.
                      • O1withwind@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 7, 1999
                          In a message dated 10/6/99 10:31:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          steverite@... writes:

                          > The qusestion still remains - why are these leashes breaking?
                          >
                          > Also - why do you like attaching to harness instead of leg? where do you
                          > attach? Sounds interesting.
                          >
                          > Steve

                          My leashes mostly got broken when I was bodydragging after a fall. My board,
                          with the leash attachment at the rear, digs into the water sometimes. With
                          wakeboards I found this happens offten for me. Then, with an elasticy
                          plastic leash the board lets go of the water and slingshots right at me. I
                          started using a piece of cotton rope for this reason, and I hook it to my
                          harness so it won't pull my leg off if I fall and the board digs in. Since I
                          swiched I haven't gotten seperated from my board again.
                          PEACE&WIND
                          Josh Young