[ksurf] Re: Footstrap placement

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
      Ole wrote
      <snip>

      >I am just about to place footstraps on an 6'2" squashtail tri-fin
      >surfboard.
      >Can anyone give me some hints as to where the straps should go ?

      The advice I got was to put the rear strap/s just in front of the leading
      edge of the forward fin/s. (assumes more than one fin) then put the front
      strap/s between 15" - 20" in front of the front of the rear strap/s
      depending on your comfortable stance. Plugs for straps should be at least 6
      1/2" apart to allow foot to slide in and out.

      I asked awhile back<snip>
      I just bought a 7'6" surf board to convert and use. Some have suggested
      adding a few extra
      layers of glass to the top to reinforce it. Does everyone agree that I
      should do that? Anything else I should do besides adding straps?

      In answer to my question on setting up a surfboard Litewave Dave
      wrote: <snip>
      Thin out the rails, add a quad-fin, move the leash plug to the very back and
      reinforce the ends with carbon, and put the straps further forward than you
      think you should....that should do it.

      Hope this helps

      Steve

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
        I depends on the kite you are using. Boards designed around the Wipika have
        the straps much farther forward than boards design for Concept Air kites.
        These kites are much faster and the rear strap is mounted
        centered over the front thruster. Place the front strap 20-21 in front of
        that.

        | I am just about to place footstraps on an 6'2" squashtail tri-fin
        | surfboard.
        | Can anyone give me some hints as to where the straps should go ?
        |
        | Best regards
        |
        | Ole

      • Murphy McCann
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
          How are you going to actually attach the footstraps? I was thinking of
          converting a 6'7" tri fin surfboard to same some dough.

        • fishersfort@ibm.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
            | How are you going to actually attach the footstraps? I was thinking of
            | converting a 6'7" tri fin surfboard to same some dough.

            Chinook makes the best inserts. You route out a hole to match the insert
            size and glass it in. You can buy them through windsurfing dealers.
          • Mark Frasier
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
              At 05:07 PM 9/29/99 PDT, you wrote:
              >How are you going to actually attach the footstraps? I was thinking of
              >converting a 6'7" tri fin surfboard to same some dough.

              I think if I convert another surfboard I'm going to ride it with no straps
              for a while before I mount anything. I tried a board without straps a few
              weeks ago and I was surprised to find that it's really not that much
              harder. Jumps are not a possibility without straps, though... at least not
              for me :) After I had riden the board for a few runs I had a better idea
              where I'd want to put the straps (if I had owned the board :)

              Mark Frasier
            • olelie@statoil.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 1999
                "murphy mccann" <murphymccan-@...> wrote:
                > How are you going to actually attach the footstraps? I was thinking
                of
                > converting a 6'7" tri fin surfboard to same some dough.

                Option 1
                Originally I was planning to glass the straps in directly as on a
                custom windsurfer.

                Option 2
                Then I figured inserts would be better in case I found the position to
                be wrong or wanted to take the board wavesurfing again. I ordered some
                box-inserts with a choice of holes to screw the straps into. Problem
                with this though is that it needs to be glassed in. (= lots of hazzle
                and usually looks very shitty afterwards, especially when in a hurry)

                Option 3
                My brother just converted his windsurfer and he used single plugs, much
                like the ones you use when screwing into plaster walls. To place these
                you simply drill out a hole, fill it with 2-component epoxy glue (eg
                Araldite) and hammer the plug in place. I think this sounds like the
                best option, unfortunately the shop ran out of plugs and I need my
                board converted now.

                Option 4
                Found a website advertixing for something called X-straps. They sound
                like a good option but I have not had any replies to my queries. Seems
                like they have a good chain of retailers, although only in the US.
                Perhaps anybody know this product ? (www.xtrak.com)
              • KiteBoard@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
                  In a message dated 99-09-29 22:14:25 EDT, fishersfort@... writes:

                  << Chinook makes the best inserts. You route out a hole to match the insert
                  size and glass it in. You can buy them through windsurfing dealers. >>

                  I agree, & recommend using their 5-hole inserts, placing the center hole
                  where you think it should be, that way you have 2" to adjust in each
                  direction in case you weren't exactly right with your first guess. With a
                  regular glass surfboard, just epoxy them straight into the foam, sand off the
                  tops a bit under flush (to compensate for the next step), & glass over.

                  Tom
                • srosso@bunge.com.br
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
                    Option 4
                    Found a website advertixing for something called X-straps. They sound
                    like a good option but I have not had any replies to my queries. Seems
                    like they have a good chain of retailers, although only in the US.
                    Perhaps anybody know this product ?

                    there are pictures of this in the egroups vault - it has been tried but it
                    looks somewhat flimsy for long term use
                  • Mark Frasier
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
                      At 10:31 AM 9/30/99 -0300, you wrote:
                      >Option 4
                      >Found a website advertixing for something called X-straps. They sound
                      >like a good option but I have not had any replies to my queries. Seems
                      >like they have a good chain of retailers, although only in the US.
                      >Perhaps anybody know this product ?
                      >
                      >there are pictures of this in the egroups vault - it has been tried but it
                      >looks somewhat flimsy for long term use

                      The pics are of my board. The front strap is holding very well, much better
                      than I thought it would... been dragged by the kite with my foot in the
                      strap and it didn't come off. The hook (for the rear foot) did eventually
                      come apart and I peeled off the dregs of it. I would recommend the system
                      if you're thinking of upgrading sometime soon. If you already have the
                      board it's very cheap & easy to put the strap/hook on and it is adequate
                      for learning, IMO. Now that I have a better idea of what I want in a board,
                      and where I want the straps, I think I'll feel good about permanently
                      mounting some using multi-position plugs.

                      Mark Frasier
                    • KiteBoard@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 1999
                        In a message dated 99-09-30 14:02:26 EDT, srosso writes:

                        << Option 4
                        Found a website advertixing for something called X-straps. They sound like a
                        good option but I have not had any replies to my queries. Seems like they
                        have a good chain of retailers, although only in the US. Perhaps anybody know
                        this product ?

                        there are pictures of this in the egroups vault - it has been tried but it
                        looks somewhat flimsy for long term use >>

                        I think Mark Frasier posted that he has been using them. You might want to
                        ask him directly at (brockus@...).

                        Tom
                      • Robert Pratt
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 1999
                          they never replied to several of my inquirys so I saved up and ordered a Sky Pirate, I can't wait til i get it!!!!!