Flight control was Re: Nearly killed my new 10m X2 and myself

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      David,

      Thanks for the information. It is good that you kept your head and worked
      things out for a good ending and with so little room downwind. I was
      wondering if you gained much altitude when you reversed the kite against the
      wind? It was a good tactic to get down to the water as quickly as possible
      with the kite. Did you consider letting go of the control bar while you were
      still airborne or did you want to see how you did relative to the house
      before "pulling the plug?"

      So, to try to summarize your approach if lofted and you have adequate room
      downwind, is to keep your kite more or less motionless and wait for the gust
      to ebb and drop you back into the water. If you come too close to a hard
      object reverse your kite to accelerate you rate of fall and reduce your
      forward velocity. I would think a strong alternative would be to just let go
      of the control bar well before any hard objects to reduce the chance of last
      minute errors or renewed gusts.

      You make a good point, to practice higher jumps. At certain points an
      extended lofting incident is similar to a higher/longer jump. By employing
      similar control inputs you might be able to avoid a hard impact as you did.

      Thanks again and congratulations on coming through uninjured,
      Rick Iossi

      -- In kitesurf@y..., "vide72au" <vide72au@y...> wrote:
      >Rick, the main problem with my incident was that I had no room for error. I
      >was only probably 50-70 meters at most directly upwind from the house, with
      >no beach in between.
      >
      >I had as much control as I would in any normal jump, and my main objective
      >was to come down quickly. This is why I reversed the kite, but obviously it
      >made me come down much quicker than I would have liked too. Ideally, you
      >would have the room downwind so you could just keep the kite above your
      >head.
      >
      >The fact that I was used to doing large jump transitions helped me dive the
      >kite mid jump with out it luffing on me.
      >
      >The good thing about kites is that when a gust hits, if you don't move
      >them, they naturally want to fly forward into the window, thereby
      >dopowering the kite. This means that unless the wind is contstantly
      >increasing, they are not going to stay up there for ever - especially if
      >you are hanging of the front lines...
      >
      >Based upon this, I dont think that there is any hard and fast

      rule...
      >Ideally you don;t want to move the kite, because moving it creates drag
      >which keeps it in the power. When you are not moving a kite, it is
      >naturally trying to fly out of the window.
      >
      >In my case, I decided to fly my kite accross the window so that it wasnlt
      >pulling me so much towards the house. This made me come down quicker - but
      >I don't know if this is something I would do again or recommend. I think
      >the best thing is to practice big jumps -so if it ever happens you will
      >feel at home in the air!
      >

      >--- In kitesurf@y..., "Rick Iossi" <flkitesurfer@h...> wrote:
      > > Hello David,
      > > > I had one more question for you on your experience. You indicated
      >that once > you were airborne and flying towards shore and the house,
      >that..
      > > > "I still had plenty of control in the air and didn't get too

      stressed.