RE: [ksurf] OVERHEAD POWER LINES!!!!!!!

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hello Stefano,

      Thanks for the report. Another torched kite, a bunch of people without power
      and our marvelous sport is at the root of it all. I wonder how many times
      this has been repeated around the world to this point? I would like to put
      together an account on the Kiteboarding Safety Information resource that
      pools the experiences of some of these powerline incidents along with
      collective wisdom on how to avoid or if necessary safely deal with this
      hazard. Powerlines bordering beaches have to be extremely common in many
      areas around the world. Most kids with toy kites have been sensitive to
      this powerline issue for a long time. I think we need to focus on this
      threat and take suitable precautions.

      So, please post some incidents that you have seen or heard about with
      background information and precautions. It would be great if we never had
      anyone injured by powerlines and only the odd flamed kite, if even that.

      Rick Iossi

      Rick Iossi wrote:

      >This is the second kite-powerline incident that I have heard about in the
      >last two days. In the other incident power was cutoff to a lot of people
      >and in that case the kite also caught fire.

      there was a case in brazil where a kitesurfer let go of his kite (on purpose
      as
      he was being dragged towards power lines).. it hit the power lines, burnt
      the
      kite and cut power to a lot of beach bars...