Re: [ksurf] Taking the next steps

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
      The kite companies all seem to be sponsoring the smaller regional kite contests. They have pro and
      am divisions. Contact kite shops, reps, and distributors for info on any future events. If you told
      us where you live, we could be more help.

      Doing a contest is your best way to help fund the habit too. There seem to be too many kite
      companies and not enough buyers. They are hot to push their brands and are very free about handing
      out sponsorships to get exposure. One kite company gave sponsorship to 2 local young riders,
      probably similar to your kids. They just thought they were nice kids and gave it to them. No special
      skills, just nice kids and way to get exposure. Don't be shy about approaching the reps for a deal.
      We only have 25 local riders, yet 6 have full sponsorships. It's a feeding frenzy out there.

      Dwight

      > Our family has been kitesurfing now for a year. Once we saw this
      > sport we were hooked. My 15yr old is doing great flips, back rolls
      > and if the wind is up, dead man hangs, he is fear less. My 13yr old
      > has been jumping on the beach and body dragging for the past year, in
      > the past three months he has been getting up on the board and going
      > up and down wind. My 10yr old went to a kite girl clinic and has been
      > flying on the beach and now body dragging for the past three months.
      > My wife and I are next, money and time gets put into the kids while
      > we take the back seat, for now. My question is. My 15yr old wants to
      > know how to take it to the next level. Only about a dozen flyers in a
      > 60 mile area around the house and each day he gets better by leaps
      > and bounds. Is there a master list of amature comps anywhere? OR any
      > training camps that don't cost an arm and a leg that we cam send him
      > to.
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any replies.
    • str8upinfl
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
        We have been Kiting In the Panhandle of Florida, Pensacola area. With
        winds out of the South, SE or SW we hit the Gulf of Mexico and when
        the wind is Northerly we kite in Pensacola Bay or on the intercoastal
        water way.