bulletproof harness

  • rippitgood
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2002
      What do you think is the most durable harness? My harnesses seem to
      wear out after a month or two. As many of you well know, a harness
      blowout at the wrong time is not pretty. Seems a well designed
      harness could be made to last quite a while. The forces placed on a
      kite harness are so much greater than those on a windsurfing harness
      (which many current kite harnesses resemble) and need to be taken
      into consideration, especially for the price that harnesses
      cost. Thanks, rippit
    • z-1.geo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2002
        Get a Dakine Thermoform and use a Peter Lynn stainless steel
        spreader bar. My harness has lasted almost two years, and is still
        in great shape. The stainless steel spreader bar from Peter Lynn is
        bullet proof, and it swivels.

        Mark

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "rippitgood" <wooten@m...> wrote:
        > What do you think is the most durable harness? My harnesses seem
        > wear out after a month or two. As many of you well know, a harness
        > blowout at the wrong time is not pretty. Seems a well designed
        > harness could be made to last quite a while. The forces placed on
        > kite harness are so much greater than those on a windsurfing
        harness
        > (which many current kite harnesses resemble) and need to be taken
        > into consideration, especially for the price that harnesses
        > cost. Thanks, rippit
      • saul1
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "rippitgood" <wooten@m...> wrote:
          > What do you think is the most durable harness? My harnesses seem to
          > wear out after a month or two. As many of you well know, a harness
          > blowout at the wrong time is not pretty. Seems a well designed
          > harness could be made to last quite a while. The forces placed on a
          > kite harness are so much greater than those on a windsurfing harness
          > (which many current kite harnesses resemble) and need to be taken
          > into consideration, especially for the price that harnesses
          > cost. Thanks, rippit

          I have often had trouble with Da Kine harnesses wearing out
          at the straps holding the spreader bar, but not on my new
          one. Its a Da Kine Powerbelt seat harness. The straps do not
          attach directly to the spreader bar, but to a metal and
          plastic hook. The slots that the straps run through are lined
          with plastic so they do not wear out. I have had this harness
          almost a year and it shows very little wear. Also, the
          powerstrap system makes it fit very well. Its the most
          comfortable hanress I have ever worn.

          Saul.
        • callum_downie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
            I have had no problem with my prolimit waist harness. It's about 6
            months old now. Compared to two of my friends dakine harnesses mine
            still looks brand new!( i Forget the model's of the dakine
            s but they're both current models, one has the hook knife in the
            back. the other has the bumpy pattern on the outside.)

            As far as the spreader goes, I have sceen a lot less problems with
            stainless ones, I will always ride with a stainless spreader, even if
            it means buying one speratly...

            Callum

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "rippitgood" <wooten@m...> wrote:
            > What do you think is the most durable harness? My harnesses seem to
            > wear out after a month or two. As many of you well know, a harness
            > blowout at the wrong time is not pretty. Seems a well designed
            > harness could be made to last quite a while. The forces placed on a
            > kite harness are so much greater than those on a windsurfing
            harness
            > (which many current kite harnesses resemble) and need to be taken
            > into consideration, especially for the price that harnesses
            > cost. Thanks, rippit
          • kiteboard2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2002
              Somebody mentioned only the stubs left after breaking an ALUMINUM
              spreader. Those are for windsurfing, & are generally not strong
              enough. Use a stainless steel spreader for kiteboarding. Stainess
              windsurfing spreaders seem to be strong enough (at least they tend to
              bend instead of breaking), but one of the new kite-specific ones is
              much better.

              Somebody mentioned using the DaKine quick release buckles (bending)
              when used with a ProLimit spreader. I'd like to know two things:
              Didn't you have to cut them narrower to get them to fit?, & if so,
              wouldn't that likely have been the cause of the bending?

              Da Kine recently authorized us to give a customer a brand new 2002
              Fusion off the shelf, as a warranty replacement for his old 2001
              model, which he'd managed to damage (see below for his "instructions"
              on how to destroy one!).

              The ProLimit looks to me to be the best WAIST harness (although I'm a
              seat harness user), but like somebody else commented, I don't really
              care all that much for their SEAT harness, at least not compared to a
              DaKine Fusion, or even an XTSeat (we sell all of the above).

              My 2001 Fusion is holding up fine, & while I am rather light (about
              63kg), I ride pretty hard (now using an 11.2 sled in up to 25knots),
              & quite often (52 hours so far this year, & I took 7 weeks off for
              cracked ribs), BUT DaKine has no more Fusions left in America in size
              M or L, & won't have any more until "the end of summer" (whatever
              that means), so if you've been thinking of getting one, see if your
              dealer has any left, & grab one fast (we're already out). I think an
              XTSeat is a pretty good substitute though (I've used them for
              kiteboarding), since even though they're really made for windsurfing,
              they're inherently safer than most other windsurf harnesses, since
              there are two straps on each side (one to hold it if the other
              breaks?).

              Mel

              << To rip out the
              stitching, crash in a manner that the velcro power-belt tears apart
              and the
              only thing keeping the harness together is the spreader bar. Then
              crash
              again at high speed while fully powered up. Ie, accidentally do a
              180
              no-whip on a DIRECTIONAL. You'll eat it going backwards and the
              water will
              get between your suit and harness in the back. Make sure the kite's
              fully
              powered up. It'll blow the stitches apart. To break that plastic
              tab
              thingie, get some serious air, freak out, kick the board away from
              you
              (easier if you're wearing a leash) and let the kite fly upwind of you
              so
              that you fall back down to earth very, very quickly with the board
              dangling
              right under you. If you're lucky, the board will hit the water right
              under
              you and you'll fall hip-first into your board. To shred the padding
              stitches, hit a big gust, and explode when you're only ankle-deep in
              water
              in onshore conditions and get dragged up the wet sand on your side at
              warp
              speed. To make those neporne bits that cover various parts of the
              harness
              disappear, find the biggest, thickest kelp bed, and do a full-speed
              body
              slam into it and then get tea-bagged through the whole patch. Then
              body
              drag through it to retrive your board. >>
            • clinton1za
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2002
                Mel, I am interested to hear your feedback on the Pro Limit Kiteseat
                & Kiteseat Pro 2002 based on your comments below.
                Thanks
                Clinton Filen
                Pro Limit International

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "clinton1za" <clinton1za@y...> wrote:

                  > Mel, I am interested to hear your feedback on the Pro Limit
                  Kiteseat
                  > & Kiteseat Pro 2002 based on your comments below.
                  > Thanks
                  > Clinton Filen
                  > Pro Limit International

                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:

                  > > ...I don't
                  > really
                  > > care all that much for their SEAT harness...

                  After hanging off it from the test bar in the shop, I didn't want to
                  have to buy one to do on-water testing, since it felt less
                  comfortable & supportive than an XTSeat, let alone a Fusion. There
                  seem to be a lot of folks who really like the ProLimit, so it could
                  be the strongest, most "wedgie resistant" harness available, but to
                  me it feels like the windsurfing harnesses I used to use (for
                  windsurfing - I switched to the XTSeat before I switched to
                  kiteboarding).

                  Mel