Re: Some direction needed - long post, sorry!

  • philflying
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi Marv,

      My recommendations:
      1- take lessons(5 days)
      2- try to use as much different gears as possible during the lessons
      3- at the end of the training, identify the ones which are the most
      appropriate to your skills and expected progression.
      4- buy used gear from 2001 (you can also find brand new 2001 gear
      with good discount, check the kiteshops around your location).

      In general, as a beginner just fresh from the kiteschool, I would
      recommend a large Twin-tip (170cms x 42cms) along with 1 kite in 4
      lines (inflatable, medium Aspect Ratio, between 10 and 12m2 flat
      measurement). But it depends on your local conditions and ability
      with water sports. This type of gear is very demanded and will be
      resold easily after you made good progress in our favorite sport.

      Enjoy

      Phil

    • jonnykitesurfer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2002
        HI i will try to help you , i'm from Ottawa and use 3 kites for now.
        Fist Concept Air 9.0 New Wave good for water and snow in winter you
        can easilly self launch them in sand or snow. Good at 15-20kms winter,
        and 20 to 25kms in summer. also a small Ram air Concept Air 3.8 for
        winter for 30 to 45 kms ski or snowboard . On water in strong winds
        a good inflatible is recommended i use a Naish 7.0 AR3.5 not a high
        performence kite but easier to water launch and i converted it to 4
        lines mode with depower system witch is a lot easier to start in water
        if you can depower it when trying to get ready then power it up to
        water start this size good from 25 to 35 kms maybe more for your
        weight. Now for lighter winds most guys in your area have 11.0 to 15.0
        inflatables. As for a good board i'm starting to use 170" twin Tip to
        learn, then when good in high winds you could go like the pro's with a
        small wakeboard 140 to 150". The guys i seen using a directional 3 of
        them this weekend all said there board where to big and harder to edge
        now with your size in moterate winds a wakeboard is the wost because
        you need anough speed to plan properly. Hope it helps .
        Jonnykitesurfer.