Re: GASTRA kites: GASS or just hot air?

  • kiteboard2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "kimeza" <pullhard@h...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any
      > thoughts or experiences with the Gastra GXS series with the "GASS"
      > baton in the middle of the leading edge?

      The theory is that it allows a smaller diameter LE tube (which is
      more aerodynamic & takes less time to pump), while still preventing
      the "taco" folding of the kite (which can hinder waterlaunch).

      Paul: I see you're in SoCal. One of your local dealers has a demo
      14m.

      Mel
    • philflying
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        We haven't get much reviews about the gaastra kites in the group. The
        few feedback I got from riders who have tested them over here is not
        very impressive. Performance of these kites seems to be very
        dependant on the tuning (bladders pressure, lines length, etc..). To
        be short, if they are not perfectly tuned they behave like bitches,
        and with the best tuning they are just average kites.
        According to rumors (I know it's just rumor) Gaastra is likely to buy
        the Legaignoux licence and issue a more standard kite.
        Any info of that from the group?

        Phil

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:
        > Just came form windfest. It looks like a nice kite, but they aren't
        > letting you demo, so I can't speek to the performance.
        >
        > Speeking of Gastra, they have boards designed by Jhona in Santa
        Cruze.
        > The boards looked very nice. I hope to demo one this weekend.
        >

        > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:
        > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kimeza" <pullhard@h...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Does anyone have any
        > > > thoughts or experiences with the Gastra GXS series with
        the "GASS"
        > > > baton in the middle of the leading edge?
        > >
        > > The theory is that it allows a smaller diameter LE tube (which is
        > > more aerodynamic & takes less time to pump), while still
        preventing
        > > the "taco" folding of the kite (which can hinder waterlaunch).
        > >
        > > Paul: I see you're in SoCal. One of your local dealers has a
        demo
        > > 14m.
        > >
        > > Mel
      • kiteboard2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "philflying" <ph.leclair@w...> wrote:

          > The
          > few feedback I got from riders who have tested them over here is
          not
          > very impressive. Performance of these kites seems to be very
          > dependant on the tuning (bladders pressure, lines length, etc..).
          > be short, if they are not perfectly tuned they behave like bitches,
          > and with the best tuning they are just average kites.

          One of our instructors fell in love with the 14m GXS the first time
          he rode it. Maybe he was just lucky.

          Mel