Re: DaKine Core Contour straps experience?

  • kiteboard2000
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "jackfly_fr" <jackfly_fr@y...> wrote:

      > I use only Dakine contour straps on twin tips since two years now.
      > After 10 times used, the straps become smoother and the more
      > comfortable strap on the market.
      >
      > Just find the right size according to your feet..
      >
      > They are really solid two.
      > Really easy for no/one foot jumps.

      Those would be the "old" (sailboard model) core contours, not the new
      kiteboard ones. Some riders love the old ones, some hate them (based
      on your comment above, maybe that's because they didn't use them 10
      times).

      We're trying to find out if anybody's used the new ones yet.

      By the way, just to clarify: there's only one size strap, you just
      have to put the screw through the right hole for the size of your
      feet.

      Mel
    • skipfrommichigan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2002
        Thanks Mel.

        You (as usual) hit on the reason for my post.

        Companies make stuff and advertise it as the 'latest and greatest'.

        So.......this group constitutes a pretty good sized 'hard core' group
        of kitesurfers that have never even tried this product? How good is
        it really then?

        A large majority of breakthrough ideas came from this group. It is
        always good for me to check experience here before I plunk down some
        cash.....

        Thanks again you guys.

        Skip
      • kiteboard2000
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:

          > I was at the store where they had Wipika, Dakine, & NSI straps...
          > THe Dakine is about the same stiffness as the Wipika, but not as
          wide.
          > It seems like just a strap that is wide at one end, once again not
          > realy a contour curve like the Slingshot.

          Are those the NEW, KITE-SPECIFIC DaKines? (zipper on top) or just the
          old sailboard model?

          > I did hear from on guy that couldn'g get the SS to fit...

          I know a guy selling a used pair because they wouldn't go small
          enough. Putting them in wider-spaced holes doesn't always do the
          trick, since it leaves them with too much space on the sides,
          especially considering you're trying to make them fit smaller feet.
          A guy who was thinking about buying them found they wouldn't go BIG
          enough! I guess they'd be fine if you have "medium" size feet, or
          maybe they come in different sizes (?).

          > Another guy said they were too stiff.

          Kiteboard straps seem to be a pretty personal thing right now.

          I say "kiteboard" because it seems nearly everybody loves DaKine Core
          Contours for sailboards (or Windsurfing Hawaii FeetBelts, if they
          want easy adjustability).

          I say "right now" because if it goes like sailboard footstraps (& now
          harnesses too) they may eventually figure out the "perfect" strap
          that nearly everybody loves.

          Mel
        • dlent@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
            I know Kevin Young who is credited with
            creating the "contour" footstrap for
            DaKine. The reason they won't go small
            enough is they are NOT designed to wrap
            around your foot like a conventional
            footstrap. The whole idea is they keep
            your foot in the footstrap by pressure on
            the top of the foot while allowing you to
            twist your feet in the footstrap(designed
            for bottom turning on waves). In other
            words your foot should have room to
            twist. I used them on my twin tip and
            they are great for twisting or pointing
            your feet when you are edging. The
            downside is that on spins or any move
            where the board rotates you can slip out
            easier. For straight jumps though you will
            stay in as well as any conventional
            footstrap. I have not tried the kiteboard
            contours but I will email Kev and try to
            get a pair to test.
            I've been riding antibindings on my
            wakeboard for three weeks now because
            I've got a broken bone in my foot (relax
            Rick, not kite related) and need to pad it
            and they work really well even with
            booties. They're not a 100% equal of full
            on wake bindings, but they are a great
            substitute in cold water (booties), injury,
            solo launch/landing in rough launches,
            etc, when full bindings get dicey.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., dlent@n... wrote:

              > I know Kevin Young who is credited with
              > creating the "contour" footstrap for
              > DaKine. The reason they won't go small
              > enough is they are NOT designed to wrap
              > around your foot like a conventional
              > footstrap...

              Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to the SlingShot straps
              when I wrote:
              > > I know a guy selling a used pair because
              > > they wouldn't go small
              > > enough.

              > I have not tried the kiteboard
              > contours but I will email Kev and try to
              > get a pair to test.

              It seems that may make you the first on this group to do so. Please
              let us know how it goes.

              Thanks.

              Mel
            • medairkite
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                Hi

                I am looking to buy a pair of used antibinding> could you put me in
                touch with your friend selling his?

                thanks

                med

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                  anythoughts on the NSI antibinding?
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "jackfly_fr" <jackfly_fr@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I use only Dakine contour straps on twin tips since two years now.
                  > > After 10 times used, the straps become smoother and the more
                  > > comfortable strap on the market.
                  > >
                  > > Just find the right size according to your feet..
                  > >
                  > > They are really solid two.
                  > > Really easy for no/one foot jumps.
                  >
                  > Those would be the "old" (sailboard model) core contours, not the
                  new
                  > kiteboard ones. Some riders love the old ones, some hate them
                  (based
                  > on your comment above, maybe that's because they didn't use them 10
                  > times).
                  >
                  > We're trying to find out if anybody's used the new ones yet.
                  >
                  > By the way, just to clarify: there's only one size strap, you just
                  > have to put the screw through the right hole for the size of your
                  > feet.
                  >
                  > Mel
                • kiteboard2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "medairkite" <med@i...> wrote:

                    > anythoughts on the NSI antibinding?

                    ANY thoughts?! Yeah, sure: Like plain straps or SlingShot Sport
                    Cuff "sandal bindings" (really just the original "anti" binding)
                    they're good for beginners & expert riders, since they're easy for
                    beginners to get in & out of, & same for experts doing one-foot or no-
                    foot tricks. In between (intermediates) are likely to want some sort
                    of heel strap, to keep the board on their feet when learning any
                    airborne manuever (including plain jumps, at first). LiteWave's got
                    their own version coming out in a few weeks, which seems a bit better
                    AND a bit less expensive too.

                    Mel