GASTRA kites: GASS or just hot air?

  • kimeza
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      I've read a lot about Rhinos, X2's and Takoons. Does anyone have any
      thoughts or experiences with the Gastra GXS series with the "GASS"
      baton in the middle of the leading edge? It's supposed to keep the
      kite flatter at the edge for more area as opposed to rounded like
      other kites. This is supposed to make it easier to water start as
      well.

      http://www.gaastrakites.com/

      Thanks ahead of time.

      Gary,
      Huntington Beach , CA USA
    • kiteboard2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "kimeza" <pullhard@h...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any
        > thoughts or experiences with the Gastra GXS series with the "GASS"
        > baton in the middle of the leading edge?

        The theory is that it allows a smaller diameter LE tube (which is
        more aerodynamic & takes less time to pump), while still preventing
        the "taco" folding of the kite (which can hinder waterlaunch).

        Paul: I see you're in SoCal. One of your local dealers has a demo
        14m.

        Mel
      • philflying
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          We haven't get much reviews about the gaastra kites in the group. The
          few feedback I got from riders who have tested them over here is not
          very impressive. Performance of these kites seems to be very
          dependant on the tuning (bladders pressure, lines length, etc..). To
          be short, if they are not perfectly tuned they behave like bitches,
          and with the best tuning they are just average kites.
          According to rumors (I know it's just rumor) Gaastra is likely to buy
          the Legaignoux licence and issue a more standard kite.
          Any info of that from the group?

          Phil

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:
          > Just came form windfest. It looks like a nice kite, but they aren't
          > letting you demo, so I can't speek to the performance.
          >
          > Speeking of Gastra, they have boards designed by Jhona in Santa
          Cruze.
          > The boards looked very nice. I hope to demo one this weekend.
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:
          > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kimeza" <pullhard@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Does anyone have any
          > > > thoughts or experiences with the Gastra GXS series with
          the "GASS"
          > > > baton in the middle of the leading edge?
          > >
          > > The theory is that it allows a smaller diameter LE tube (which is
          > > more aerodynamic & takes less time to pump), while still
          preventing
          > > the "taco" folding of the kite (which can hinder waterlaunch).
          > >
          > > Paul: I see you're in SoCal. One of your local dealers has a
          demo
          > > 14m.
          > >
          > > Mel
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "philflying" <ph.leclair@w...> wrote:

            > The
            > few feedback I got from riders who have tested them over here is
            not
            > very impressive. Performance of these kites seems to be very
            > dependant on the tuning (bladders pressure, lines length, etc..).
            > be short, if they are not perfectly tuned they behave like bitches,
            > and with the best tuning they are just average kites.

            One of our instructors fell in love with the 14m GXS the first time
            he rode it. Maybe he was just lucky.

            Mel