[ksurf] Re: XXXL in 3-5 knots

  • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
      I have sometimes tried to play with my 30 sq.m paraglider in light winds.
      It takes at least 5 knots to inflate the canopy let alone fly it kite
      style. I think you reach a point where the increasing weight of the wing is
      more than the breeze can support without a lot of pilot input.

      Hung, when you say you were planing down wind what size board were you
      using?

      What is the minimum wind you need to sail at 90 degrees to the wind? I want
      to sail in light winds but I really want to be able to come back to my
      starting point each time. My immediate aim is to take advantage of the
      light afternoon sea breezes for a little after work cruising. I don't want
      to have to get a lift back from wherever I end up. I want to tuck my board
      under my arm and stroll back to my house with a big grin on my face.

      Also, how "down wind" is down wind planing? Is the wind directly at your
      back or are you doing a number of reaches with gybes losing a bit of ground
      for each run?

      Has anyone sailed against some of the new wide style sailboards in light
      wind? These guys are planing and going upwind in 8-10 knots.

      Greg

      Hung Vu <hungvu@...> on 29/09/99 02:03:34 PM

      Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com

      To: kitesurf@egroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
      Subject: [ksurf] XXXL in 3-5 knots

      I went out today with the XXXL, 45m lines in 3-5 knots of wind (I could
      barely feel the wind on my face). I could not go upwind but I did have
      good fun planning downwind with my board.

      Since my XXXL could barely fly at 3 knots (the kite is made of Icarex
      which is one of the lightest fabric I've seen). I guess 3 knots is the
      limit with the current kitesurfing equipment (no matter how large the
      kite you use)!

      I think I have "converted" a couple of on-the-beach-watching windsurfers
      by kitesurfing in "no wind".

      Hung.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
        Since my XXXL could barely fly at 3 knots (the kite is made of Icarex
        which is one of the lightest fabric I've seen). I guess 3 knots is the
        limit with the current kitesurfing equipment (no matter how large the
        kite you use)!
        I think I have "converted" a couple of on-the-beach-watching windsurfers
        by kitesurfing in "no wind".

        Hung ! dont forget to mention yuou weigh 120 pounds (55 kg) ! thats 70% of
        my weight ! dont create the false impression that kitesurfing can be done
        by everybody in 4 knots... a 100 kg person will always need 6 knots or more
      • Hung Vu
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
          Greg.Walsh@... wrote:
          > Hung, when you say you were planing down wind what size board were you
          > using?

          I used the FOne 230.

          > What is the minimum wind you need to sail at 90 degrees to the wind? I want
          > to sail in light winds but I really want to be able to come back to my
          > starting point each time. My immediate aim is to take advantage of the
          > light afternoon sea breezes for a little after work cruising. I don't want
          > to have to get a lift back from wherever I end up. I want to tuck my board
          > under my arm and stroll back to my house with a big grin on my face.

          I need at least 5-6 knots to come back to where I started with the XXXL
          and the FOne 230 (and at least 8-10 knots with the 8.5 m2 Wipika). Also
          remember that I'm only 125 lb.

          > Also, how "down wind" is down wind planing? Is the wind directly at your
          > back or are you doing a number of reaches with gybes losing a bit of ground
          > for each run?

          I did a number of slightly broad reaches with gybes losing some ground
          for each run. I had to walk back at the end of the runs.

          Hung.
        • Hung Vu
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 29, 1999
            srosso@... wrote:
            > Hung ! dont forget to mention yuou weigh 120 pounds (55 kg) ! thats 70% of
            > my weight ! dont create the false impression that kitesurfing can be done
            > by everybody in 4 knots... a 100 kg person will always need 6 knots or more

            A 100 kg person may want to try a bigger kite (18 m2) to have
            approximately the same kite/weight ratio as I had.

            Hung.
          • Robert Pratt
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 30, 1999
              A note for all those contemplating getting into kitesurfing;

              These guys are experts, there is NO WAY!!! your going to be able to plane in these conditions for a long time (years?)
              when I first got my 8.5 Wipika I kept taking it out in winds <10mph, if I was able to get it off the water the best I could manage was way downwind.

              I'm not saying don't get a kite and give it a go, but you need a fair amount of wind to learn in.

              having a blast....bob

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 30, 1999
                Hung,

                How fast were you moving across the water on average? (your best guess)

                Jeff

                hung vu <hungv-@...> wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5476
                > srosso@... wrote:
                > > Hung ! dont forget to mention yuou weigh 120 pounds (55 kg) !
                thats 70% of
                > > my weight ! dont create the false impression that kitesurfing can
                be done
                > > by everybody in 4 knots... a 100 kg person will always need 6
                knots or more

                > A 100 kg person may want to try a bigger kite (18 m2) to have
                > approximately the same kite/weight ratio as I had.
                >
                > Hung.
              • Hung Vu
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 30, 1999
                  jquick1@... wrote:

                  > Hung,
                  >
                  > How fast were you moving across the water on average? (your best guess)

                  My best guess is around 8-10 knots or so. I was moving much faster than
                  a windsurfer and a sailboat that "ghostly" drifted on the water . The
                  speed was not very fast by any standard but I managed to complete most
                  of the jibes and definitely got "fixed" from the light wind blue!

                  Hung.