DaKine Core Contour straps experience?

  • skipfrommichigan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 29 7:44 PM
      Has anyone in the group had any experience using the DaKine Core
      Contour kitestraps for twintips? The original windsurfing contour
      straps were uncomfortable and were a pain to use. The kite version
      looks a little easier on the feet.

      Any input would be appreciated.

      Skip
    • kiteboard2000
      Message 2 of 13 , May 30 3:25 PM
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:

        > What the frel are the zippers for?

        The local DaKine rep told me they were only used during assembly.

        Mel
      • wahlum
        Message 3 of 13 , May 30 5:32 PM
          I don't know about the DaKine straps, but I have both the NSI Koch
          straps, and the Slingshot strap/pad (on my Jarvis) and both of those
          straps are very nice. The NSI straps are pretty damn inexpensive too!

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:
          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > What the frel are the zippers for?
          >
          > The local DaKine rep told me they were only used during assembly.
          >
          > Mel
        • skipfrommichigan
          Message 4 of 13 , May 30 5:38 PM
            The NSIs and Slingshots look more 'cushy' but the Dakine straps look
            like they can take more abuse.

            So....... no one has bought or used a pair?
          • jackfly_fr
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31 1:04 AM
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "skipfrommichigan" <svschott@m...> wrote:
              > The NSIs and Slingshots look more 'cushy' but the Dakine straps
              look
              > like they can take more abuse.
              >
              > So....... no one has bought or used a pair?

              I use only Dakine contour straps on twin tips since two years now.
              After 10 times used, the straps become smoother and the more
              comfortable strap on the market.

              Just find the right size according to your feet..

              They are really solid two.
              Really easy for no/one foot jumps.

              Jack.
            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "jackfly_fr" <jackfly_fr@y...> wrote:

                > I use only Dakine contour straps on twin tips since two years now.
                > After 10 times used, the straps become smoother and the more
                > comfortable strap on the market.
                >
                > Just find the right size according to your feet..
                >
                > They are really solid two.
                > Really easy for no/one foot jumps.

                Those would be the "old" (sailboard model) core contours, not the new
                kiteboard ones. Some riders love the old ones, some hate them (based
                on your comment above, maybe that's because they didn't use them 10
                times).

                We're trying to find out if anybody's used the new ones yet.

                By the way, just to clarify: there's only one size strap, you just
                have to put the screw through the right hole for the size of your
                feet.

                Mel
              • skipfrommichigan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2002
                  Thanks Mel.

                  You (as usual) hit on the reason for my post.

                  Companies make stuff and advertise it as the 'latest and greatest'.

                  So.......this group constitutes a pretty good sized 'hard core' group
                  of kitesurfers that have never even tried this product? How good is
                  it really then?

                  A large majority of breakthrough ideas came from this group. It is
                  always good for me to check experience here before I plunk down some
                  cash.....

                  Thanks again you guys.

                  Skip
                • kiteboard2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2002
                    --- In kitesurf@y..., "janwcoffey" <janwcoffey@y...> wrote:

                    > I was at the store where they had Wipika, Dakine, & NSI straps...
                    > THe Dakine is about the same stiffness as the Wipika, but not as
                    wide.
                    > It seems like just a strap that is wide at one end, once again not
                    > realy a contour curve like the Slingshot.

                    Are those the NEW, KITE-SPECIFIC DaKines? (zipper on top) or just the
                    old sailboard model?

                    > I did hear from on guy that couldn'g get the SS to fit...

                    I know a guy selling a used pair because they wouldn't go small
                    enough. Putting them in wider-spaced holes doesn't always do the
                    trick, since it leaves them with too much space on the sides,
                    especially considering you're trying to make them fit smaller feet.
                    A guy who was thinking about buying them found they wouldn't go BIG
                    enough! I guess they'd be fine if you have "medium" size feet, or
                    maybe they come in different sizes (?).

                    > Another guy said they were too stiff.

                    Kiteboard straps seem to be a pretty personal thing right now.

                    I say "kiteboard" because it seems nearly everybody loves DaKine Core
                    Contours for sailboards (or Windsurfing Hawaii FeetBelts, if they
                    want easy adjustability).

                    I say "right now" because if it goes like sailboard footstraps (& now
                    harnesses too) they may eventually figure out the "perfect" strap
                    that nearly everybody loves.

                    Mel
                  • dlent@nycap.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                      I know Kevin Young who is credited with
                      creating the "contour" footstrap for
                      DaKine. The reason they won't go small
                      enough is they are NOT designed to wrap
                      around your foot like a conventional
                      footstrap. The whole idea is they keep
                      your foot in the footstrap by pressure on
                      the top of the foot while allowing you to
                      twist your feet in the footstrap(designed
                      for bottom turning on waves). In other
                      words your foot should have room to
                      twist. I used them on my twin tip and
                      they are great for twisting or pointing
                      your feet when you are edging. The
                      downside is that on spins or any move
                      where the board rotates you can slip out
                      easier. For straight jumps though you will
                      stay in as well as any conventional
                      footstrap. I have not tried the kiteboard
                      contours but I will email Kev and try to
                      get a pair to test.
                      I've been riding antibindings on my
                      wakeboard for three weeks now because
                      I've got a broken bone in my foot (relax
                      Rick, not kite related) and need to pad it
                      and they work really well even with
                      booties. They're not a 100% equal of full
                      on wake bindings, but they are a great
                      substitute in cold water (booties), injury,
                      solo launch/landing in rough launches,
                      etc, when full bindings get dicey.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., dlent@n... wrote:

                        > I know Kevin Young who is credited with
                        > creating the "contour" footstrap for
                        > DaKine. The reason they won't go small
                        > enough is they are NOT designed to wrap
                        > around your foot like a conventional
                        > footstrap...

                        Sorry for the confusion, but I was referring to the SlingShot straps
                        when I wrote:
                        > > I know a guy selling a used pair because
                        > > they wouldn't go small
                        > > enough.

                        > I have not tried the kiteboard
                        > contours but I will email Kev and try to
                        > get a pair to test.

                        It seems that may make you the first on this group to do so. Please
                        let us know how it goes.

                        Thanks.

                        Mel
                      • medairkite
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                          Hi

                          I am looking to buy a pair of used antibinding> could you put me in
                          touch with your friend selling his?

                          thanks

                          med

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                            anythoughts on the NSI antibinding?
                            --- In kitesurf@y..., "kiteboard2000" <kitebord@p...> wrote:
                            > --- In kitesurf@y..., "jackfly_fr" <jackfly_fr@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I use only Dakine contour straps on twin tips since two years now.
                            > > After 10 times used, the straps become smoother and the more
                            > > comfortable strap on the market.
                            > >
                            > > Just find the right size according to your feet..
                            > >
                            > > They are really solid two.
                            > > Really easy for no/one foot jumps.
                            >
                            > Those would be the "old" (sailboard model) core contours, not the
                            new
                            > kiteboard ones. Some riders love the old ones, some hate them
                            (based
                            > on your comment above, maybe that's because they didn't use them 10
                            > times).
                            >
                            > We're trying to find out if anybody's used the new ones yet.
                            >
                            > By the way, just to clarify: there's only one size strap, you just
                            > have to put the screw through the right hole for the size of your
                            > feet.
                            >
                            > Mel
                          • kiteboard2000
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 3, 2002
                              --- In kitesurf@y..., "medairkite" <med@i...> wrote:

                              > anythoughts on the NSI antibinding?

                              ANY thoughts?! Yeah, sure: Like plain straps or SlingShot Sport
                              Cuff "sandal bindings" (really just the original "anti" binding)
                              they're good for beginners & expert riders, since they're easy for
                              beginners to get in & out of, & same for experts doing one-foot or no-
                              foot tricks. In between (intermediates) are likely to want some sort
                              of heel strap, to keep the board on their feet when learning any
                              airborne manuever (including plain jumps, at first). LiteWave's got
                              their own version coming out in a few weeks, which seems a bit better
                              AND a bit less expensive too.

                              Mel