windysite - why toro versus rhino?

  • flygirl93402
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2002
      On your posting re: the X2, you mentioned that all North riders at
      the Tarifa Red bull competition were on Toro's and you knew the
      reason why. Please elaborate!

      thanks:-)
      Marina
    • Tony Gaunce
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2002
        Windysite,
        Are you saying this because the kite sizes were smaller (strong winds)
        or are you suggesting that all North riders preferred the Toro's in all
        sizes and conditions??

        > On your posting re: the X2, you mentioned that all North riders at
        > the Tarifa Red bull competition were on Toro's and you knew the
        > reason why. Please elaborate!
        >
        > thanks:-)
        > Marina

      • windysite.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2002
          Well,

          the fact is that the first day Jaime Herraiz went up to the semifinals on a
          Toro 16. And in the Hang time will James and Jaime were using Toro 12... in
          30-40 knots :-)

          The Toro has even better stability than the Rhino. I do not know if it is
          due to the lower AR, the new canopy, or whatever. What I know is that if you
          want to make this kite fall from the sky you will have to shoot at it.

          All those who have flied a Rhino would have noticed how when overluffed the
          kite WANTS to go back to the power zone, it does not fall to one side. It
          simply flies back and recovers stability. This is even more noticeable on
          the Toro.

          Relaunching the Toro is easier than relaunching the Naish Aero, which
          already is a joy to relaunch.

          For these reasons, the Toro is perfect for intermediates and beginners.

          But in the hands of a pro rider, it rocks: it steers faster than the Rhino,
          flies further forward in the window making going upwind easier than with the
          Rhino (I feel the Rhino tends to take the rider slightly downwind, compared
          to other kites), it is very fast in straight line and it jumps really well.

          Maybe the upwards "pop" is the only thing in which it does not match the
          Rhino. But once in the air it offers a more sustained jump than the Rhino.
          more time to perform tricks.

          Depowering is also better. The Rhino does pull ALWAYS, no matter how much
          you depower it, all Rhino riders know that.

          So in smaller sizes, this will be my kite until someone launches something
          even better. In bigger sizes, though, nobody will stop me from riding the
          X2.

          The Toro in bigger sizes is perfect for all those who want to perform lots
          of tricks in the air with a forgiving kite. And a beginner will have in the
          Toro a kite to learn and progress on, and that will not outgrow in ages.

          Ken Winner and his R&D team have done and incredible work.

          I have heard "off the record" that the next Rhino II will be a much more
          higher AR kite, targeted to fight against the X2. They can do it, now that
          they have the Toro.

          Cheers,

          Andoni
          windysite.com

          > De: "Tony Gaunce" <tgaunce@...>
          > Responder a: kitesurf@yahoogroups.com
          > Fecha: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:24:21 -0400
          > Para: <kitesurf@yahoogroups.com>
          > Asunto: [ksurf] Re: windysite - why toro versus rhino?
          >
          > Windysite,
          > Are you saying this because the kite sizes were smaller (strong winds)
          > or are you suggesting that all North riders preferred the Toro's in all
          > sizes and conditions??

        • jever98
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2002
            Hi Andoni,
            do you have any info on when the new Rhino will appear? I would be
            very interested to know...

            snip