Re: [ksurf] tieing lines

  • gregwalshau
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      I wasn't talking about joining lines, just attaching to the leaders
      or pigtails. Personally I sew my lines and leaders and stuff and
      avoid knots like the plague. (Ugly cheapshit things that they are.)
      However, if people are going to tie knots into Q-power then why not
      just a lark's head and a stop knot? Then there would be no knot on
      the load bearing side of the flying line at all, only the lark's
      head. Am I missing something?

      Regards

      Greg

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Suntrax" <Suntrax@i...> wrote:

> [...]
    • cfglazier
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
        > Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
        > just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

        Greg
        This would work but..

        A knot can reduce the strength of a line by up to 50%. The worst
        knots have sharp bends in the line which weakens it. (When a line is
        curved, all the load is carried on the outer part of the curve and
        none on the inner.)

        A larks head like you describe would have a very sharp bend right
        where the line enters.. very bad.

        Q powerline is normally tied with an overhand knot over a double
        line which has more gradual bends so it is stronger. Then after this
        knot two lines go to a larkshead and the load on the larks head is
        shared by both so it is twice as strong.

        Hope this makes sense.

        Chris G