Re: Helium filled kite

  • richardmenna
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
      people that knock it have any firsthand experience. It
      seems to especially makes sense for big kites and light wind. It
      might be that the helium may bleed through standard plastic kites
      though because I think Helium is an especially small molecule. Might
      be better if it was Milar lined. Finally, I wouldn't be too quick to
      believe that it may be too expensive. If it worked, you might have a
      "helium service" with a tank brought to the beach.
      Rich

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "pfoxwave" <pfoxwave@a...> wrote:
      > Anyone ever considered filling up their kites w/ helium. Maybe
      > not enough to make the kite float, but enough so the kite was
      lighter
      > in the air. I have a big arx and its pretty heavy. Just thinking...
      >
      > pat
    • cfglazier
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "richardmenna" <richardmenna@y...> wrote:
        > Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
        > people that knock it have any firsthand experience.

        Rich
        Let me kill this thread before we get started on it again.

        I received a toy blimp as a Christmas present. It was almost 6 feet
        long and it's volume was maybe about the same size as a large kites
        leading edge bladder. When I filled it with helium (which was
        expensive), it could barely lift a few coins.

        Condsidering a large kite may weigh 3 kg, helium in the bladders
        just wouldn't have enough lifting power to help much.

        Chris G
      • wahlum
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          And you're forgetting the #1 reason NOT to fill your kite up with
          helium!

          Remember when you were a kid, at the fair, you bought a ballon and
          were as happy as a clam.

          And then you let go of the string accidentally, and the ballon went
          sailing up, up, and awaaaay...

          Sure, you may have cried then, imagine if it was your $1500 Naish Aero
          floating up and away on the breeze!

          ;^)

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:
          > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "richardmenna" <richardmenna@y...> wrote:
          > > > Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
          > > > people that knock it have any firsthand experience.
          > >
          > > Rich
          > > Let me kill this thread before we get started on it again.
          >
          > > Condsidering a large kite may weigh 3 kg, helium in the bladders
          > > just wouldn't have enough lifting power to help much.
          > >

          > An whatever the lifting power there's the problem that helium atoms
          are much smaller than nitrogen atoms and oxygen ions (air).
          > Doesn't sound like a problem but those small atoms can get through
          your bladders quite easiliy. You'd loose pressure very quicky. Helium
          filled lifting devices are not usually pressurized. Have you noticed
          those helium toy ballons are a non-stretchy silvery fabric - and how
          rubber toy ballons filled with helium go flat very quicky.