Re: [ksurf] tieing lines

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      From: gregwalshau <Greg.Walsh@...>

      > Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
      > just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

      Because when joining lines, any knot, including a fishermans, will cause
      fouling in the lines and a resultant loss of kite control, if the lines are
      twisted at the knot area after a relaunch or spin. Especialy if all 4 lines
      are joined in this way
      Safest and neatest is on page 3 at
      http://www.naishkites.com/pdf/aerouserguide.pdf. Even this could possibly
      foul, but the chances are reduced.

      Best Regards

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      www.suntrax.co.za
      suntrax@...
    • gregwalshau
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        I wasn't talking about joining lines, just attaching to the leaders
        or pigtails. Personally I sew my lines and leaders and stuff and
        avoid knots like the plague. (Ugly cheapshit things that they are.)
        However, if people are going to tie knots into Q-power then why not
        just a lark's head and a stop knot? Then there would be no knot on
        the load bearing side of the flying line at all, only the lark's
        head. Am I missing something?

        Regards

        Greg

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Suntrax" <Suntrax@i...> wrote:

> [...]
      • cfglazier
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
          > Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
          > just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

          Greg
          This would work but..

          A knot can reduce the strength of a line by up to 50%. The worst
          knots have sharp bends in the line which weakens it. (When a line is
          curved, all the load is carried on the outer part of the curve and
          none on the inner.)

          A larks head like you describe would have a very sharp bend right
          where the line enters.. very bad.

          Q powerline is normally tied with an overhand knot over a double
          line which has more gradual bends so it is stronger. Then after this
          knot two lines go to a larkshead and the load on the larks head is
          shared by both so it is twice as strong.

          Hope this makes sense.

          Chris G