Sport of the month[ksurf] Re: Poll Result: Do you think kites are too expensive?

  • gregwalshau
    Message 1 of 21 , May 1 12:52 AM
      Hi All.

      I have an instinctive feeling that the kitesurf hysteria has died
      down. Everyone was thinking we were going to take over the world and
      become a mainstream sport. My feeling is that it has reached a
      plateau and is coming off the boil. I have no real evidence to
      support this, it's just a feeling.

      I go into kitesurf shops and they have a bunch of inflatables and a
      tiny stock of boards.

      Newsagents have old, out-of-date kitesurf magazines, or no kitesurf
      magazines at all.

      What does everybody else think?

      Greg
    • Henryk Majewski
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1 1:23 AM
        I agree that this sport has slow down. I still insist the price is the main
        reason.
        Very often I have people approaching me on my local beach and asking how
        much the gear costs.
        My answer A$3000 dollar gives them the shock. And obviously this is not a
        full story.
        You need more than one kite and you have to replace it between 1 and 2
        years.
        There is more and more gear on the secondhand market.
        What I here from my friends it is hard to sell kite gear.
        Kitesurfing is going the same path as windsurfing but I predict decline is
        going be faster.

        Kites are not a rocket science. Materials (excluding MACHs and X2s )
        are commonly used in several other industries. Tooling is not very
        sophisticated.
        They are built in countries where labour contents is relatively cheap.
        IMO there is no justification for such high prices.

        Henryk Majewski
        > I have an instinctive feeling that the kitesurf hysteria has died
        > down. Everyone was thinking we were going to take over the world and
        > become a mainstream sport. My feeling is that it has reached a
        > plateau and is coming off the boil. I have no real evidence to
        > support this, it's just a feeling.
        >
        > I go into kitesurf shops and they have a bunch of inflatables and a
        > tiny stock of boards.
        >
        > Newsagents have old, out-of-date kitesurf magazines, or no kitesurf
        > magazines at all.
        >
        > What does everybody else think?
        >
        > Greg

      • Suntrax
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1 2:08 AM
          Hey Dave (Dr)

          Guess what! Our newest shipment of Naish kites has come down by about 6%,
          the manufacturers must be reading this group! ;-)

          Unfortunately it's only because our lousy exchange rate has improved, but
          this will make Andy at Kitehigh happier as it pushes up our export prices!

          Kitesurfing is alive and well in Capetown and everybody is complaining about
          the prices of kites and sunglasses and jetskis and televisions and
          windsurfers and motorcars and skateboards and and and and....... but MOSTLY
          A LACK OF WIND!

          Best Regards

          Brian Wilson
          Suntrax
          Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
          cell; 0824656696
          www.suntrax.co.za
          suntrax@...

          Message 4 of 21 , May 1 5:15 AM
            In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:31:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
            ariraptis@... writes:

            > Angry Ari

            I miss TOdd, at least he was humorous while being obnoxious...

            Sean

          • drsurfau
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1 7:10 AM
              Touché :-)

              My sentiments exactly.

              BTW, I went and priced an island today. You know the type, warm, windy,
              lots of scantily clad women on endless sandy beaches and no kitesurf
              restrictions etc.

              Well I was outraged, islands are sooo expensive! I reckon it's reached
              the point where only the rich can afford to buy them. Someone should do
              something about it! Are you listening Carlo, Henryk?? How about a poll?
              That'll fix it!

              Moral of the story, kites are cheap compared to islands, expensive
              compared to your average potato. Half the world doesn't even have
              access to clean water and yet some on this group complain about the
              price of everything?!!

              Get your priorities right, go have a kitesurf.

              Now at the moment in Australia wind is scarce, I'll pay, but not too
              much. Any offers of cheap wind?? Anyone?? :-)

              Go on have fun, everyone on this group is fucking privileged to do this
              sport!!

              Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

            • Rodney Lawrence
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1 7:18 AM
                I tell ya what I'll put some of my wind in a bottle from perth WA but it
                will coast ya $$$$$
                Cool post though its so true aswell. I just wish my $1000 630 arc was a
                $1500 1120. Just so I could go for a surf the winds here have been on
                holiday aswell.

                Rod

                LET US ALL PREY TO THE WIND GOD!!
                http://www.perth-kiteboarding.tk/
                ARCS & F-ARCS
                BTW, I went and priced an island today. You know the type, warm, windy,
                lots of scantily clad women on endless sandy beaches and no kitesurf
                restrictions etc.

                Well I was outraged, islands are sooo expensive! I reckon it's reached
                the point where only the rich can afford to buy them. Someone should do
                something about it! Are you listening Carlo, Henryk?? How about a poll?
                That'll fix it!

                Moral of the story, kites are cheap compared to islands, expensive
                compared to your average potato. Half the world doesn't even have
                access to clean water and yet some on this group complain about the
                price of everything?!!

                Get your priorities right, go have a kitesurf.

                Now at the moment in Australia wind is scarce, I'll pay, but not too
                much. Any offers of cheap wind?? Anyone?? :-)

                Go on have fun, everyone on this group is fucking privileged to do this
                sport!!

                Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Suntrax" <Suntrax@i...> wrote:
                > Hey Dave (Dr)
                >
                > Guess what! Our newest shipment of Naish kites has come down by about 6%,=

                > the manufacturers must be reading this group! ;-)
                >
                > Unfortunately it's only because our lousy exchange rate has improved, but=

                > this will make Andy at Kitehigh happier as it pushes up our export prices=
                !

                > Kitesurfing is alive and well in Capetown and everybody is complaining ab=
                out
                > the prices of kites and sunglasses and jetskis and televisions and
                > windsurfers and motorcars and skateboards and and and and....... but MOST=
                LY
                > A LACK OF WIND!
                >
                > Best Regards
                >
                > Brian Wilson
                > Suntrax
                > Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
                > cell; 0824656696
                > www.suntrax.co.za
                > suntrax@i...

              • Marc Munzer
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1 10:24 AM
                  >you go out of buisiness. I bet you alot of the kite companys that
                  >are currently making LEI's started because they thought they could
                  >make competitive lei's at a cheaper price. There isn't a single
                  >company do this, ask yourself why? If they could of course they
                  >would they'd have a huge market share instantly...

                  There is also the little fact that if you sell a kite cheaper than other
                  kites then people think that there is something wrong with it and won't buy
                  it... People complain about high prices but then don't support
                  manufacturers who make an effort to drop their prices. Ask yourself if you
                  went into your local surf shop and saw a Naish for 1000 and a new brand for
                  500, which one would you buy... I would say 90% of people would go for the
                  Naish because its obviously better because it is so much more expensive...

                  In any case, I don't think that prices will come down for a while. There
                  are too many companies on the market at the moment and nobody is making any
                  money because they all have high overheads and no turnover. Wait a couple
                  of years when half of the companies disappear, then the remaining companies
                  will have more sales and they can start dropping their prices. The same
                  goes for retailers, if you have 10 different retailers in your area all
                  selling different brands then they will all make a little bit of money.
                  Whereas if you had only 1 then the retailer could live with making less
                  money on each kite because he is selling more.

                  Regards,

                  Marc
                  GoExtreme.dk
                • Carlo
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1 10:42 AM
                    >Kites are not a rocket science. Materials (excluding MACHs and X2s )
                    >are commonly used in several other industries. Tooling is not very
                    >sophisticated.
                    >They are built in countries where labour contents is relatively cheap.
                    >IMO there is no justification for such high prices.
                    >
                    >Henryk Majewski

                    Well said! This is exactly what this whole discussion is about. We are being
                    ripped off.