[ksurf] Re: Poll Result: Do you think kites are too expensive ?

  • andres_santacruz
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 30, 2002
      I don't know about you guys, but I have seen board prices go down a
      lot. Kites could get a little cheaper.
      Andres Santacruz

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "throb_list" <captain1@i...> wrote:
      > Oooh.....
      >
      > Looks like a bit of a tantrum thrown by the feminists!!
      >
      > dont worry Ari we understand - bad time of the month!!!
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "ariraptis" <ariraptis@y...> wrote:
      > > The relationship is that you are using some form of
      equipment,thats
      > > all!
      > > Those other things are much,much more expensive!
      > > A Yacht you could live on might be 100 to 1000 times as much!
      > >
      > > Anyway,you are a rude prick! You are the one that should see a
      > > shrink!!You obviously have some serious problems!You will never
      > enjoy
      > > Kitsurfing,while you are so worried about where it came from,and
      > how
      > > much it cost!Tightass!
      > >
      > > All those that don't like the price of a new ,state of the
      > art,kite,
      > > should look for a second hand bargain.If you want up to date
      > > equipment,be prepared to pay for it.
      > >
      > > Anyway,with new manufacturers coming into the market,and the
      > initial
      > > design stage over,I would expect the prices to fall a bit,or ,at
      > > least not go up!
      > >
      > > To all you Communists and Anarchists,who expect to get things
      > without
      > > anyone making a profit,BAD LUCK!!Take up jogging and
      swimming,they
      > > are free.
      > >
      > > Angry Ari

    • Carlo
      Message 2 of 21 , May 1 12:17 AM
        Hi Dave and all,

        I put the poll up on my site to get a different perspective on things. I
        know from statistics that there is very little COM's visiting my site. I
        wanted some answers from the people who use kites.

        I asked a question, and people answered the question. If you don't like the
        result, then you shouldn't be reading this thread, or if you don't like the
        fact that people can't afford kites then maybe you shouldn't be selling
        kites. I don't think it's the retailers that puts up the high prices, it's
        manufacturers.

        You can compare kites with yachts, and tv's and houses and cars. But the
        fact remains that kites are too expensive. And don't play the old COM card
        of you should get a better job or earn more money. Anything can be
        expensive. Even when you can afford it. Most people kitesurfing already have
        good jobs and earn good moeny, otherwise they wouldn't be kitesurfers right
        now. If an item is so expensive, that it is expensive to a portion of the
        market that has a high level of income, isn't it pretty obvious what is
        happening?

        I will still buy kites, because I want to kitesurf. This question was posted
        to state the facts. It wasn't aimed at retailers, but maybe at some people
        who manufacture kites and read this list.

        It is posted in a positive note: wake up and smell the coffee. you will
        never be able to sell enough kites, cause most people can't afford the high
        prices. make them a little bit more affordable and you will be able to sell
        more, and people will buy more. If prices don't go down, the kiting industry
        will not collapse. It will just stay an elitist sport, and even less people
        will kitesurf than there are windsurfing.

        At the end of the day, the high prices will not affect the current consumers
        as much as it would the people in the kiting industry. It won't affect me as
        much when prices increases, but it would affect you dave, because you will
        sell even less kites. Less kites = less profit = less money = same
        overheads; which means companies will start closing down. start seeing the
        picture? So all these consumers you are ripping off with 'get a better job'
        will still be kiting when you are with your arse in the streets.

        I hope I didn't cause any sleepless nights to any COM's. hehe. Also Ari, it
        is good to see you get angry.

        Carlo
        www.kitesurf.co.za

        Message 3 of 21 , May 1 12:22 AM
          You sexist pig!!

          You make me so-o-oo-o-o- MAD!!!!!!

          Angry Drunken Ari

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "throb_list" <captain1@i...> wrote:
          > Oooh.....
          >
          > Looks like a bit of a tantrum thrown by the feminists!!
          >
          > dont worry Ari we understand - bad time of the month!!!
          >

          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "ariraptis" <ariraptis@y...> wrote:
          > > The relationship is that you are using some form of
          equipment,thats
          > > all!
          > > Those other things are much,much more expensive!
          > > A Yacht you could live on might be 100 to 1000 times as much!
          > >
          > > Anyway,you are a rude prick! You are the one that should see a
          > > shrink!!You obviously have some serious problems!You will never
          > enjoy
          > > Kitsurfing,while you are so worried about where it came from,and
          > how
          > > much it cost!Tightass!
          > >
          > > All those that don't like the price of a new ,state of the
          > art,kite,
          > > should look for a second hand bargain.If you want up to date
          > > equipment,be prepared to pay for it.
          > >
          > > Anyway,with new manufacturers coming into the market,and the
          > initial
          > > design stage over,I would expect the prices to fall a bit,or ,at
          > > least not go up!
          > >
          > > To all you Communists and Anarchists,who expect to get things
          > without
          > > anyone making a profit,BAD LUCK!!Take up jogging and
          swimming,they
          > > are free.
          > >
          > > Angry Ari

        • gregwalshau
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1 12:52 AM
            Hi All.

            I have an instinctive feeling that the kitesurf hysteria has died
            down. Everyone was thinking we were going to take over the world and
            become a mainstream sport. My feeling is that it has reached a
            plateau and is coming off the boil. I have no real evidence to
            support this, it's just a feeling.

            I go into kitesurf shops and they have a bunch of inflatables and a
            tiny stock of boards.

            Newsagents have old, out-of-date kitesurf magazines, or no kitesurf
            magazines at all.

            What does everybody else think?

            Greg
          • Henryk Majewski
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1 1:23 AM
              I agree that this sport has slow down. I still insist the price is the main
              reason.
              Very often I have people approaching me on my local beach and asking how
              much the gear costs.
              My answer A$3000 dollar gives them the shock. And obviously this is not a
              full story.
              You need more than one kite and you have to replace it between 1 and 2
              years.
              There is more and more gear on the secondhand market.
              What I here from my friends it is hard to sell kite gear.
              Kitesurfing is going the same path as windsurfing but I predict decline is
              going be faster.

              Kites are not a rocket science. Materials (excluding MACHs and X2s )
              are commonly used in several other industries. Tooling is not very
              sophisticated.
              They are built in countries where labour contents is relatively cheap.
              IMO there is no justification for such high prices.

              Henryk Majewski
              > I have an instinctive feeling that the kitesurf hysteria has died
              > down. Everyone was thinking we were going to take over the world and
              > become a mainstream sport. My feeling is that it has reached a
              > plateau and is coming off the boil. I have no real evidence to
              > support this, it's just a feeling.
              >
              > I go into kitesurf shops and they have a bunch of inflatables and a
              > tiny stock of boards.
              >
              > Newsagents have old, out-of-date kitesurf magazines, or no kitesurf
              > magazines at all.
              >
              > What does everybody else think?
              >
              > Greg

            • Suntrax
              Message 6 of 21 , May 1 2:08 AM
                Hey Dave (Dr)

                Guess what! Our newest shipment of Naish kites has come down by about 6%,
                the manufacturers must be reading this group! ;-)

                Unfortunately it's only because our lousy exchange rate has improved, but
                this will make Andy at Kitehigh happier as it pushes up our export prices!

                Kitesurfing is alive and well in Capetown and everybody is complaining about
                the prices of kites and sunglasses and jetskis and televisions and
                windsurfers and motorcars and skateboards and and and and....... but MOSTLY
                A LACK OF WIND!

                Best Regards

                Brian Wilson
                Suntrax
                Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
                cell; 0824656696
                www.suntrax.co.za
                suntrax@...

              • seancmurph@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , May 1 5:15 AM
                  In a message dated 5/1/2002 12:31:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  ariraptis@... writes:

                  > Angry Ari

                  I miss TOdd, at least he was humorous while being obnoxious...

                  Sean

                • drsurfau
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1 7:10 AM
                    Touché :-)

                    My sentiments exactly.

                    BTW, I went and priced an island today. You know the type, warm, windy,
                    lots of scantily clad women on endless sandy beaches and no kitesurf
                    restrictions etc.

                    Well I was outraged, islands are sooo expensive! I reckon it's reached
                    the point where only the rich can afford to buy them. Someone should do
                    something about it! Are you listening Carlo, Henryk?? How about a poll?
                    That'll fix it!

                    Moral of the story, kites are cheap compared to islands, expensive
                    compared to your average potato. Half the world doesn't even have
                    access to clean water and yet some on this group complain about the
                    price of everything?!!

                    Get your priorities right, go have a kitesurf.

                    Now at the moment in Australia wind is scarce, I'll pay, but not too
                    much. Any offers of cheap wind?? Anyone?? :-)

                    Go on have fun, everyone on this group is fucking privileged to do this
                    sport!!

                    Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

                  • Rodney Lawrence
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1 7:18 AM
                      I tell ya what I'll put some of my wind in a bottle from perth WA but it
                      will coast ya $$$$$
                      Cool post though its so true aswell. I just wish my $1000 630 arc was a
                      $1500 1120. Just so I could go for a surf the winds here have been on
                      holiday aswell.

                      Rod

                      LET US ALL PREY TO THE WIND GOD!!
                      http://www.perth-kiteboarding.tk/
                      ARCS & F-ARCS
                      BTW, I went and priced an island today. You know the type, warm, windy,
                      lots of scantily clad women on endless sandy beaches and no kitesurf
                      restrictions etc.

                      Well I was outraged, islands are sooo expensive! I reckon it's reached
                      the point where only the rich can afford to buy them. Someone should do
                      something about it! Are you listening Carlo, Henryk?? How about a poll?
                      That'll fix it!

                      Moral of the story, kites are cheap compared to islands, expensive
                      compared to your average potato. Half the world doesn't even have
                      access to clean water and yet some on this group complain about the
                      price of everything?!!

                      Get your priorities right, go have a kitesurf.

                      Now at the moment in Australia wind is scarce, I'll pay, but not too
                      much. Any offers of cheap wind?? Anyone?? :-)

                      Go on have fun, everyone on this group is fucking privileged to do this
                      sport!!

                      Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Suntrax" <Suntrax@i...> wrote:
                      > Hey Dave (Dr)
                      >
                      > Guess what! Our newest shipment of Naish kites has come down by about 6%,=

                      > the manufacturers must be reading this group! ;-)
                      >
                      > Unfortunately it's only because our lousy exchange rate has improved, but=

                      > this will make Andy at Kitehigh happier as it pushes up our export prices=
                      !

                      > Kitesurfing is alive and well in Capetown and everybody is complaining ab=
                      out
                      > the prices of kites and sunglasses and jetskis and televisions and
                      > windsurfers and motorcars and skateboards and and and and....... but MOST=
                      LY
                      > A LACK OF WIND!
                      >
                      > Best Regards
                      >
                      > Brian Wilson
                      > Suntrax
                      > Tel/fax 027 21 5560044
                      > cell; 0824656696
                      > www.suntrax.co.za
                      > suntrax@i...

                    • Marc Munzer
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1 10:24 AM
                        >you go out of buisiness. I bet you alot of the kite companys that
                        >are currently making LEI's started because they thought they could
                        >make competitive lei's at a cheaper price. There isn't a single
                        >company do this, ask yourself why? If they could of course they
                        >would they'd have a huge market share instantly...

                        There is also the little fact that if you sell a kite cheaper than other
                        kites then people think that there is something wrong with it and won't buy
                        it... People complain about high prices but then don't support
                        manufacturers who make an effort to drop their prices. Ask yourself if you
                        went into your local surf shop and saw a Naish for 1000 and a new brand for
                        500, which one would you buy... I would say 90% of people would go for the
                        Naish because its obviously better because it is so much more expensive...

                        In any case, I don't think that prices will come down for a while. There
                        are too many companies on the market at the moment and nobody is making any
                        money because they all have high overheads and no turnover. Wait a couple
                        of years when half of the companies disappear, then the remaining companies
                        will have more sales and they can start dropping their prices. The same
                        goes for retailers, if you have 10 different retailers in your area all
                        selling different brands then they will all make a little bit of money.
                        Whereas if you had only 1 then the retailer could live with making less
                        money on each kite because he is selling more.

                        Regards,

                        Marc
                        GoExtreme.dk
                      • Carlo
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1 10:42 AM
                          >Kites are not a rocket science. Materials (excluding MACHs and X2s )
                          >are commonly used in several other industries. Tooling is not very
                          >sophisticated.
                          >They are built in countries where labour contents is relatively cheap.
                          >IMO there is no justification for such high prices.
                          >
                          >Henryk Majewski

                          Well said! This is exactly what this whole discussion is about. We are being
                          ripped off.