Helium filled kite

  • pfoxwave
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
      Anyone ever considered filling up their kites w/ helium. Maybe
      not enough to make the kite float, but enough so the kite was lighter
      in the air. I have a big arx and its pretty heavy. Just thinking...

      pat
    • Kitepower
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
        Stop thinking! :-))))

        Cya and
        Goodwinds
        Steve McCormack
        http://www.kitepower.com.au
        mailto:sydney@...
        Open 7 days
        126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
        Phone +61293157894

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
          WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

          Sorry for the laughter... This comes up all the time...
          Basicly it has no positive effect because the amount of helium you
          need to create enough presure in your bladders is far to great...

          Look through the archives therehave been many descussions on this,
          Right when the group started there was one, I think Bruno may have
          even participated at some point...

          About the only thing you'll gain from fulling your big ARX with
          helium is making your wallet lighter... That leads to your next
          question - what if I use hydrogen, it's cheaper... Same thing but you
          run the risk of having a melted ball of nylon on your hands...

          WAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA,

          I think we should put a "No helium" disclaimer in the welcome messgae
          to this group...

          Later,
          Callum

          --- In kitesurf@y..., "pfoxwave" <pfoxwave@a...> wrote:
          > Anyone ever considered filling up their kites w/ helium. Maybe
          > not enough to make the kite float, but enough so the kite was
          lighter
          > in the air. I have a big arx and its pretty heavy. Just thinking...
          >
          > pat
        • stuvagas
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
            Need to pop this one on too.
            How did we forget about it

            Stu

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "callum_downie" <callum_downie@h...> wrote:
            > WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,
            >
            > Sorry for the laughter... This comes up all the time...
            > Basicly it has no positive effect because the amount of helium you
            > need to create enough presure in your bladders is far to great...
            >
            > Look through the archives therehave been many descussions on this,
            > Right when the group started there was one, I think Bruno may have
            > even participated at some point...
            >
            > About the only thing you'll gain from fulling your big ARX with
            > helium is making your wallet lighter... That leads to your next
            > question - what if I use hydrogen, it's cheaper... Same thing but
            you
            > run the risk of having a melted ball of nylon on your hands...
            >
            > WAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA,
            >
            > I think we should put a "No helium" disclaimer in the welcome
            messgae
            > to this group...
            >
            > Later,
            > Callum
            >

            > --- In kitesurf@y..., "pfoxwave" <pfoxwave@a...> wrote:
            > > Anyone ever considered filling up their kites w/ helium.
            Maybe
            > > not enough to make the kite float, but enough so the kite was
            > lighter
            > > in the air. I have a big arx and its pretty heavy. Just
            thinking...

            > > pat
          • richardmenna
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002
              Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
              people that knock it have any firsthand experience. It
              seems to especially makes sense for big kites and light wind. It
              might be that the helium may bleed through standard plastic kites
              though because I think Helium is an especially small molecule. Might
              be better if it was Milar lined. Finally, I wouldn't be too quick to
              believe that it may be too expensive. If it worked, you might have a
              "helium service" with a tank brought to the beach.
              Rich

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "pfoxwave" <pfoxwave@a...> wrote:
              > Anyone ever considered filling up their kites w/ helium. Maybe
              > not enough to make the kite float, but enough so the kite was
              lighter
              > in the air. I have a big arx and its pretty heavy. Just thinking...
              >
              > pat
            • cfglazier
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "richardmenna" <richardmenna@y...> wrote:
                > Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
                > people that knock it have any firsthand experience.

                Rich
                Let me kill this thread before we get started on it again.

                I received a toy blimp as a Christmas present. It was almost 6 feet
                long and it's volume was maybe about the same size as a large kites
                leading edge bladder. When I filled it with helium (which was
                expensive), it could barely lift a few coins.

                Condsidering a large kite may weigh 3 kg, helium in the bladders
                just wouldn't have enough lifting power to help much.

                Chris G
              • wahlum
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  And you're forgetting the #1 reason NOT to fill your kite up with
                  helium!

                  Remember when you were a kid, at the fair, you bought a ballon and
                  were as happy as a clam.

                  And then you let go of the string accidentally, and the ballon went
                  sailing up, up, and awaaaay...

                  Sure, you may have cried then, imagine if it was your $1500 Naish Aero
                  floating up and away on the breeze!

                  ;^)

                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:
                  > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "richardmenna" <richardmenna@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Personally, I think the idea has merit and I doubt if any of the
                  > > > people that knock it have any firsthand experience.
                  > >
                  > > Rich
                  > > Let me kill this thread before we get started on it again.
                  >
                  > > Condsidering a large kite may weigh 3 kg, helium in the bladders
                  > > just wouldn't have enough lifting power to help much.
                  > >

                  > An whatever the lifting power there's the problem that helium atoms
                  are much smaller than nitrogen atoms and oxygen ions (air).
                  > Doesn't sound like a problem but those small atoms can get through
                  your bladders quite easiliy. You'd loose pressure very quicky. Helium
                  filled lifting devices are not usually pressurized. Have you noticed
                  those helium toy ballons are a non-stretchy silvery fabric - and how
                  rubber toy ballons filled with helium go flat very quicky.