The Wave Tray in Waves?

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
      I rode my 147 WT last Friday in good northeast blow. Northeast winds bring our best waves on the
      eastern US coast. I was riding my 12m Rhino well powered. This board was much better than I
      expected. I thought it might be cool with the flipped nose, but never expected it to be that much
      different. Well it's like no kiteboard I've ridden in waves. I'm an old windsurfing wave sailor
      that's been dieing for kiteboards to perform like a good wave board. This is the first kiteboard to
      resemble that type of ride. Remember the good old days when you could hit a pitching wave on a
      windsurfer and feel it accelerate like a rocket as you're redirected vertical? Kiteboards act like
      planks going up a wave face. You might as well go ride a slalom board. The WT really has the wave
      board feel. It was so cool. Off shore in the rough open seas, the flipped nose and or heavy tail
      rocker, make it a breeze to ride. Real smooth and easy to blast along wide open. When I caught a
      good wave on the outside sandbar, the flipped nose made it very comfortable blasting down the face.
      Spinning toe side going wide open on the wave face was so smoooooth and easier than anything I've
      ridden.

      I waited a few days before posting this. I had to secure Jacky's WT in the production order with
      Adrian. It took forever to get mine. You guys must have swamped Adrian with orders.

      All the time I was riding it, I was talking to myself in disbelief that nobody had made a board like
      this before. What are they thinking in Hawaii? This is how boards should be shaped. I ride mine with
      full bindings still. It's way better than any wakeboards I've ridden from Maui.

      Dwight
    • callum_downie
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
        I can't wait to get mine in soem decent waves... I have only ridden
        mine in gusty choppy conditions. The only real ovservation I can make
        from the two sessions is I can ride alot faster alot more comfortably
        than I could on my dinner tray in the same conditions...
        I ride mine with Koch straps, they feel great on this board and they
        keep it nice and light too...

        All I can say is I'm glad I already have mine... A friend rode mine
        for a short period as well, I think he is about to make an order too,
        he currently rides a 161 picklefork and a 172 directional, I think he
        is going to replace both those boards with a single 147 WT.

        Be interesting to se ehow long it takes other companys to start
        producing similar boards, this board is a revolution for shure.

        Now all I need is some damned wind!!

        Later,
        Callum

        Ps, go the KIWI boards...

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
        > I rode my 147 WT last Friday in good northeast blow. Northeast
        winds bring our best waves on the
        > eastern US coast. I was riding my 12m Rhino well powered. This
        board was much better than I
        > expected. I thought it might be cool with the flipped nose, but
        never expected it to be that much
        > different. Well it's like no kiteboard I've ridden in waves. I'm an
        old windsurfing wave sailor
        > that's been dieing for kiteboards to perform like a good wave
        board. This is the first kiteboard to
        > resemble that type of ride. Remember the good old days when you
        could hit a pitching wave on a
        > windsurfer and feel it accelerate like a rocket as you're
        redirected vertical? Kiteboards act like
        > planks going up a wave face. You might as well go ride a slalom
        board. The WT really has the wave
        > board feel. It was so cool. Off shore in the rough open seas, the
        flipped nose and or heavy tail
        > rocker, make it a breeze to ride. Real smooth and easy to blast
        along wide open. When I caught a
        > good wave on the outside sandbar, the flipped nose made it very
        comfortable blasting down the face.
        > Spinning toe side going wide open on the wave face was so smoooooth
        and easier than anything I've
        > ridden.
        >
        > I waited a few days before posting this. I had to secure Jacky's WT
        in the production order with
        > Adrian. It took forever to get mine. You guys must have swamped
        Adrian with orders.

        > All the time I was riding it, I was talking to myself in disbelief
        that nobody had made a board like
        > this before. What are they thinking in Hawaii? This is how boards
        should be shaped. I ride mine with
        > full bindings still. It's way better than any wakeboards I've
        ridden from Maui.

        > Dwight
      • monkeyair
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002

          > All the time I was riding it, I was talking to myself in disbelief
          that nobody had made a board like
          > this before. What are they thinking in Hawaii? This is how boards
          should be shaped. I ride mine with
          > full bindings still. It's way better than any wakeboards I've ridden
          from Maui.

          > Dwight
          That's the truth Dwight. Been having a blast on my wave tray. Nice
          width and rocker. Got mine with wake inserts for sandal plates. The
          stock ones we sold the customers have been very well received. Nice to
          have the grab handle on the stock ones. Some guys are still using some
          of the Trump like directional/twin tips in the waves with a heavy toe
          side component but my knees won't put up with that. Toe side on the
          waves is plenty going down the line. Looked like the hybrid would give
          the best surf like style. This is certainly the best down the line
          twin tip in my experience. This one seems as positive as some of the
          custom six fin twins we built over the last few years. The parallel
          outline made me think it would be a bit less turny. Nice to be proven
          wrong. Good stuff. A set of Adam K wide pads and you have a great
          wave machine. It projects down a bumpy face remarkably well with
          those little fins when racing a close out section. Have Fun. Traig
          MonkeyAir Kitesurfing Malibu
        • wave2kite
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
            --- Hi Dwight,
            in your report it sounds like thats exactly the board I am looking
            for. We have very gusty wind conditions and sometimes nice waves in
            Cornwall, UK. How does the board handle lulls? What is the upper wind
            range? Please tell me more about the rocker: Does it have a flat
            section in the middle? How muck rocker does it have before the
            flipnose starts? Is this rocker progressive or in steps?
            Please do not get me wrong: I do not want to copie it! It takes a bit
            more to copie an underground than some measurements. I have never
            seen a original underground in the UK and I am thinking about
            ordering one from NZ. Therefore I would like get a better impression
            how this board will perform in our conditions....

            Thanks a lot!
            astrid
          • callum_downie
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
              Hi Astrid,

              I'm not dwight but I should be able to give you some answers, as I
              have ridden the board in gusty conditions...
              I found the ride through lulls to be pretty good for a board this
              size - remember it's a 147 minus the kick tips so it's probably more
              like a 140 planing length. I weigh 100kg so it's quite a small board
              for me. The wide tips on the board I think is what makes the board
              better through lulls than my previous 151 dinner tray.

              I havn't looked that closely at the rocker, other people here are
              better qualified to answer that.

              For upper range the board is very good, the tip flex helps here I
              think and this also seams to help in the extreme gustiness I rode in
              the other day.

              It's a shame they are not widely available for you in the UK to have
              a try on one before you purchase. I'm pretty sure not everyone will
              like this board as much as I do straight away, it is different so it
              can take some getting used too..

              Hope this helps in some way, hopefully someone else will get back to
              you about rocker info. You could always try contacting underground
              through their website - www.undergroundkiteboards.com

              Callum

              --- In kitesurf@y..., "wave2kite" <wave2kite@y...> wrote:
              > --- Hi Dwight,
              > in your report it sounds like thats exactly the board I am looking
              > for. We have very gusty wind conditions and sometimes nice waves in
              > Cornwall, UK. How does the board handle lulls? What is the upper
              wind
              > range? Please tell me more about the rocker: Does it have a flat
              > section in the middle? How muck rocker does it have before the
              > flipnose starts? Is this rocker progressive or in steps?
              > Please do not get me wrong: I do not want to copie it! It takes a
              bit
              > more to copie an underground than some measurements. I have never
              > seen a original underground in the UK and I am thinking about
              > ordering one from NZ. Therefore I would like get a better
              impression
              > how this board will perform in our conditions....
              >
              > Thanks a lot!
              > astrid
            • chicosta
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1 1:18 AM
                Hi Astrid.
                Contact Andy from Flow-motion. They are German and they are the
                Underground european distributor.
                Their mail is info@...

                Francisco Costa

              • dlent@nycap.rr.com
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2 6:33 AM
                  Dwight,
                  How about 90 kgs, 147 or 157?
                  Custom make a 152?
                  Dennis
                • dlent@nycap.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2 9:00 AM
                    Thanks for the info Peter. I take it from the message that you're
                    riding the DT with all your kites.
                    Hey were you out at Falmouth yesterday? Just wondering cause I
                    was getting worked on my 7.5 Rhino until about 3 o'clock when the
                    wind at West Dennis went from over 30 knots to glass in seconds.
                    The meter at Falmouth kept reading in the high teens while we had
                    glass. Did the same thing at Kalmus.
                    Thanx again,
                    Dennis
                    On 2 May 2002, at 14:33, kitesurf@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Message: 22
                    > Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:03:51 -0400
                    > From: Peter Traykovski <ptraykovski@...>
                    > Subject: Re: Re: Re: The Wave Tray in Waves?
                    >
                    > Dennis,
                    >
                    > I haven't ridden a WT yet, although may get one. But I think the length
                    > isn't nearly as important as width in how much power you get out of it.
                    > I think lenght/rocker matters more for how turny/pivoty it is etc.
                    >
                    > On that note, the 147 is 15 wide. I've ridden the DT151 alot which is
                    > also 15" wide, and weigh about the same as you. This seems to be a good
                    > width for moderately powered to very over powered kiting around here.
                    > 15" has enough planing power to punch through moderate lulls but does
                    > not get out of hand when fully wound. I think 14 is too narrow for us
                    > big boys except if we had consistent very strong winds. The 157 is 16
                    > wide so may get a little big in fully wound conditions, based on some
                    > other 16s I have ridden...but if you want something for more moderate
                    > condtions it could work nice.. 17" seems like the widest practical and
                    > is really for marginal conditions...just my thoughts on the size issue
                    >
                    > dlent@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > Dwight,
                    > > How about 90 kgs, 147 or 157?
                    > > Custom make a 152?
                    > > Dennis

                  • toby_paul_smith
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7 4:34 AM
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., "wave2kite" <wave2kite@y...> wrote:
                      > --- Hi Dwight,
                      > in your report it sounds like thats exactly the board I am looking
                      > for. We have very gusty wind conditions and sometimes nice waves in
                      > Cornwall, UK. How does the board handle lulls? What is the upper
                      wind
                      > range? Please tell me more about the rocker: Does it have a flat
                      > section in the middle? How muck rocker does it have before the
                      > flipnose starts? Is this rocker progressive or in steps?
                      > Please do not get me wrong: I do not want to copie it! It takes a
                      bit
                      > more to copie an underground than some measurements. I have never
                      > seen a original underground in the UK and I am thinking about
                      > ordering one from NZ. Therefore I would like get a better
                      impression
                      > how this board will perform in our conditions....
                      >
                      > Thanks a lot!
                      > astrid

                      Hey Astrid!

                      It's Toby here.

                      Great riding on Sunday eh!! How was axle? I hurt so bad I couldnt
                      make it out monday. First time back on my wake for 4-months of Mutant
                      riding and gave my self a sick old spanking trying to learn
                      whirlybirds. Get any wind to get out monday??

                      This is wierd, as it happens I have a WT 147 on it's way from Adrian
                      this week (for me!!) so I will (hopefully) have it here by next
                      weekend. Feel free to give it a go if you can get it out from under
                      me. I will be Daymer as usual if the wind is good. Or mail me:
                      tobypaulsmith@...

                      T.