tieing lines

  • arcsrule
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
      the consensus seems to be when tying two lines together to make a
      longer set of lines to use larkheads. What about double fishermans
      Knots? Less bulk to snag or tangle and neater looking.
    • cfglazier
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "arcsrule" <knowneed2@h...> wrote:
        > the consensus seems to be when tying two lines together to make a
        > longer set of lines to use larkheads. What about double
        fishermans
        > Knots? Less bulk to snag or tangle and neater looking.

        I did some research on knots a while ago. The double fishermans knot
        is one of the strongest knots for this purpose. The only reason to
        use the bulkier larksheads would be for easy connection and
        disconnection.
        For anyone who doesn't know these knot terms, there are links to
        knot web sites in the Bookmarks area.

        Chris G
      • Kitepower
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
          That is the best knot to use if you want a permanent connection.

          Cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          http://www.kitepower.com.au
          mailto:sydney@...
          Open 7 days
          126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
          Phone +61293157894

          the consensus seems to be when tying two lines together to make a
          longer set of lines to use larkheads. What about double fishermans
          Knots? Less bulk to snag or tangle and neater looking.

        • gregwalshau
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
            Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
            just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

            Greg
          • Suntrax
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                I wasn't talking about joining lines, just attaching to the leaders
                or pigtails. Personally I sew my lines and leaders and stuff and
                avoid knots like the plague. (Ugly cheapshit things that they are.)
                However, if people are going to tie knots into Q-power then why not
                just a lark's head and a stop knot? Then there would be no knot on
                the load bearing side of the flying line at all, only the lark's
                head. Am I missing something?

                Regards

                Greg

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "Suntrax" <Suntrax@i...> wrote:

> [...]
              • cfglazier
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
                  > Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
                  > just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

                  Greg
                  This would work but..

                  A knot can reduce the strength of a line by up to 50%. The worst
                  knots have sharp bends in the line which weakens it. (When a line is
                  curved, all the load is carried on the outer part of the curve and
                  none on the inner.)

                  A larks head like you describe would have a very sharp bend right
                  where the line enters.. very bad.

                  Q powerline is normally tied with an overhand knot over a double
                  line which has more gradual bends so it is stronger. Then after this
                  knot two lines go to a larkshead and the load on the larks head is
                  shared by both so it is twice as strong.

                  Hope this makes sense.

                  Chris G