Competitions

  • gregwalshau
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2002
      Hi All

      I just read about some wakeboard champ coming third in a comp after
      only a few months of kiting (of course he could be a total legend).

      Also, a few guys like Chris Calthrop and Peter Trow (supporters) have
      been whinging about competitions being biased towards wake style
      riding and ignoring other styles of riding.

      Anybody think this is true?

      It seems to be with the wake/TT emphasis that is happening in videos
      and kiteboard shops.

      Regards

      Greg
    • kitetrade
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2002
        Hi Greg,

        The wake,skate and snow cross-over influence will drive kitesurfing
        to kiteboarding and make the sport way more attractive to young
        guys/gals thinking of getting into the sport - like it or not this
        is the future of kiteboarding, the best will be able to mix it up
        with a hybrid of styles wake and directional/surf style riding.

        But that is just my opinion...

        Adam Yared

        KiteTrade.com )

        w: www.kitetrade.com
        e: adam@...
        m: +61 414 824 269
        f: +61 3319 6157

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > I just read about some wakeboard champ coming third in a comp
        after
        > only a few months of kiting (of course he could be a total legend).
        >
        > Also, a few guys like Chris Calthrop and Peter Trow (supporters)
        have
        > been whinging about competitions being biased towards wake style
        > riding and ignoring other styles of riding.
        >
        > Anybody think this is true?
        >
        > It seems to be with the wake/TT emphasis that is happening in
        videos
        > and kiteboard shops.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Greg
      • gregwalshau
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2002
          I'm actually curious about all the other kites and boards in comps. I
          know foil makers have pro riders and I've seen them doing the foot
          off deadman etc moves. Even a hack cruiser like me can go fairly big
          on my foils. I've seen videos of Blades doing jumps that are far
          higher and longer than anything I've seen from other kites. Why don't
          they ever feature in the competition results at all. Not even down
          the rankings. What's going on?

          Regards

          Greg
        • gregwalshau
          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2002
            Hi All

            I sent an email to a few kitemakers regarding the lack of mention of
            different products, riders and types of kites in competition results.

            The responses include:

            . Their riders were discouraged from entering because the comps were
            sponsored by other kite companies.

            . The judging is not setup to judge their riders and their moves.

            . Magazines were not prepared to mention riders or products without
            an ad being paid for.

            . The market catered for by the competitions is outside the target
            market of the kite makers.

            . The kite makers can't afford to send teams to competitions.

            Regards

            Greg