Re: [ksurf] Remove the Leash

  • callum_downie
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
      The person who suggested wearing a board leash in sizable surf has
      got to be kidding. I'm sorry but that is close to the worst piece of
      adivse I think I have sceen on this group.

      A few weeks ago now I had the unfortunate pleasure? of having a
      fellow rider ask for me to look at the top of his head and advise him
      of how bad the gash in his head was. Lets just say I almost threw
      up. He got hit by his board beacause he came off in the surf line
      and his kite dragged him downwind toward the beach when he came off -
      as kites do. This has put his board right between him and the next
      set wave and of course when the wave hit it has thrown the board
      right at him. This was in a nasty 6-8ft swell, nasty because it was
      heaving up of a shallow sand bank producing a nasty dumping wave.

      And then there is the danger of the board leash wrapping around you
      if you are in getting tossed around in the breaking wave. I have had
      this experience, as i have written here before, I had the leaders of
      my kite around my legs and the board leash nicely got wrapped around
      my neck. I was this '' close to giving up kiting after that little
      episode (obviously glad I didn't!).

      Look at these two incidents, imagine being part of them either in the
      first person or not. NOW advise me that I should put a leash back on
      my board.
      And before you say what if in the first incident he hadn't had a
      leash and the board had hit another water user. For one, the board is
      unlikly to do that because it's not likely to end up directly between
      someone and a wave the reason it ends up there for a rider is beacuse
      the leash effectivly pulls the board into that position.
      And very unlikely in those conditions, there was 4 kites out and
      about 6 surfers on another break a little way away, I didn't see
      another person in the water.

      There is no question what so ever that the board leash is a bad idea
      in sizable surf.
      The only question is, what about the kite leash...

      Callum

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/