Re: Swim-in or not?

  • hungvuatnetcomdotca
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > At a kite contest early last year, I flew under my kite during a
      > difficult trick attempt - it luffed, the main line got wrapped
      around
      > the trailing edge - and teared the kite in two (almost - it stopped
      > at the front tube of course) when it got powered again going down.
      > Had to swim (or drift) ashore - but I was not far out because of the
      > running heat. It was very easy to get a sailmaker to repair the kite
      -
      > but when it happens, it is so violent to watch !
      >
      > These are my swim-ins, and near-swim-ins.
      >
      > Things can happen, and will happen - always prepare for the worst to
      > happen before going out, but don't think too much (being scared - no
      > good) while out there; just be careful when approaching others.
      >
      > :-) Peter
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > > People frequently ask me how many times I had to swim in with my
      > kites
      > > (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here are
      > some "approximated"
      > > statistics:
      > >
      > > Wipika Classic 3.5: None
      > > Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      > > being inexperienced)
      > > Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      > > being inexperienced)
      > > All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and EX's 12.5): 50%
      each
      > > time I crashed the kite (less with handles and more with bars)
      > > New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
      > > AR5 5.5: None
      > > AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold water when I
      > could not
      > > swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The second time was when
      > had
      > > 2 center leader lines instead of 1.
      > >
      > > Some other kites that I used either briefly or for 1 or 2 days:
      > >
      > > ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to relaunch the
      > Arc; we
      > > waited too long and the water got in the kite)
      > > Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
      > > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite
      > >
      > > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened
      > cell
      > > foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it
      comes
      > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just
      > watch out
      > > for very cold water)...
      > >
      > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are
      > probably
      > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
      > out in
      > > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle
      > > tangle)
      > >
      > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due
      > the
      > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for

    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
        > In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
        > sideshore winds.
        > I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
        > So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
        > the boards has no volume at all !
        > And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar
        in
        > the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
        > further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
        > long beach-run, to get it back !

        If you also count swim-ins associated with accidents then I had one of
        these early Naish safety leash too and got it ripped the AR5 5.5 right
        out of my hands during a violent gust at Costamba, DR. I had to swim
        in without the kite and the kite still have a few patches for me to
        remember the incident.

        Hung.