Re: [ksurf] Re: Questions about 6.3 Airblast (if you know)

  • Peter Traykovski
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 10:27 AM
      This is funny. I found I liked my 2001 5 strut 8.4 more the 2001 7 strut
      8.4. I though I had heard a few others who also thought this. I did see
      a few wipika sponserd pros who seemded to be holding on thier 5 strut
      kites, even whene newer ones were out! The 5 strut version felt more
      stable and had better low end to me. The 7 strut version seemed to jelly
      fish a bit more and lacked low end..although it had a higher top end.
      I'm sure everyone's got different preferences

      -Peter

      peter_frank_dk wrote:

      > It is only the late 2002 models.
      >
      > And it is not necessary on most sizes - because the struts are thick
      > and stiff.
      >
      > But those with thin outer struts will benefit a lot (like the 2001
      > version 1, 5 strut - horrible !)
      >
      > :-) Peter
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "jeff_quick" <jquick1@h...> wrote:
      >
      >>Does anyone know if the 2001 version 2 model supports the battens
      >>
      > on
      >
      >>the wing tips? Or is it the 2002 models only?
      >>
      >>The original 2001s battens were shifted up, causing that 'horrible
      >>pucker effect under load...'
      >>
      >>(I also don't recommend telling your boss he has this problem!)
      >>
      >>Jeffro

      Peter Traykovski
      Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
      MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
      Woods Hole, MA 02543
      ptraykovski@... (508)-289-2638
      http://penguin.whoi.edu
    • peter_frank_dk
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1 10:49 AM
        Airblast 8.4 !
        We liked the 7 strut much more - because of its high end, and the low
        end seemed the same, because it was faster - so sinusing gave some
        more bottom end.
        But in normal parked mode you are right - the 5 strut was superior
        regarding bottom end.
        And jellyfish or not - we don't mind.

        Different preferences - yes !

        It was not the kite in general I was talking about - it was just the
        thin outer struts on the 5 strut - which was a nightmare IMO, leading
        to puckering.

        And for some reason it was only the 8.4 which had the problem - the
        2001 6.3 and 4.9 are okay.

        Thats why they made the 8.4 version 2 a 7 strut of course.

        :-) Peter

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > --
        > Peter Traykovski
        > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
        > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
        > Woods Hole, MA 02543
        > ptraykovski@w... (508)-289-2638
        > http://penguin.whoi.edu
      • jeff_quick
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1 12:15 PM
          Hi Peter,

          Thanks for your information.

          So the older 6.3 doesn't have that puckering problem (without
          bridles)?

          I've only seen the 6.3 twice when we had the wind for it, both times
          with the bridles, and both times the kite was puckering seriously,
          and the owners were quite disappointed.

          All I need is a 6.3 that doesn't pucker up without bridles (since I
          dont use bridles) I finally found a place that DOES get strong
          enough wind for a 6.3...

          Jeffro

        • jeff_quick
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1 12:15 PM
> [...]

            > > I'm sure everyone's got different preferences
            > >

            > > -Peter
            > >
            > > peter_frank_dk wrote:
            > >
            > > > It is only the late 2002 models.
            > > >
            > > > And it is not necessary on most sizes - because the struts are
            > thick
            > > > and stiff.
            > > >
            > > > But those with thin outer struts will benefit a lot (like the
            > 2001
            > > > version 1, 5 strut - horrible !)
            > > >
            > > > :-) Peter

            > > > on

            > that 'horrible

            > > > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-
            unsubscribe@e...>>>

            > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > > >

            > > --
            > > Peter Traykovski
            > > Applied Ocean Physics & Engineering Dept.
            > > MS#11, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
          • Stefano.
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 1:12 PM
              > All I need is a 6.3 that doesn't pucker up without bridles (since I
              > dont use bridles) I finally found a place that DOES get strong
              > enough wind for a 6.3...

              where is this place ? i ask because i am still considering moving to a place
              near irvine...