Re: Swim-in or not?

  • wipika_ab
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1 10:02 AM
      I had two swim-in so far and both in Texas!

      Once, on my AR5 9.5 the wind dropped to near nothing (damm Gusty
      Texas winds!!!) and I had to swim back to shore. Lucky me I was just
      200 meters from the beach, but it's always frustrating.

      Another time I was on my ARX 19.5 WITHOUT reverse lauching and the
      kite dropped from the sky in a big lull. Well... everybody with a
      kite this size and without reverse bridle, knows what happend
      next!! :))

      Good winds
      Carlos

      --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
      > People frequently ask me how many times I had to swim in with my
      kites
      > (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here are
      some "approximated"
      > statistics:
      >
      > Wipika Classic 3.5: None
      > Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      > being inexperienced)
      > Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      > being inexperienced)
      > All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and EX's 12.5): 50% each
      > time I crashed the kite (less with handles and more with bars)
      > New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
      > AR5 5.5: None
      > AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold water when I
      could not
      > swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The second time was when I
      had
      > 2 center leader lines instead of 1.
      >
      > Some other kites that I used either briefly or for 1 or 2 days:
      >
      > ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to relaunch the
      Arc; we
      > waited too long and the water got in the kite)
      > Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
      > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite
      >
      > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened
      cell
      > foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it comes
      > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just
      watch out
      > for very cold water)...
      >
      > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are
      probably
      > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
      out in
      > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle to
      > tangle)
      >
      > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due to
      the
      > fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for
      kitesurfing.

      > Hung.
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1 2:32 PM
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
> [...]
        >
        > At a kite contest early last year, I flew under my kite during a
        > difficult trick attempt - it luffed, the main line got wrapped
        around
        > the trailing edge - and teared the kite in two (almost - it stopped
        > at the front tube of course) when it got powered again going down.
        > Had to swim (or drift) ashore - but I was not far out because of the
        > running heat. It was very easy to get a sailmaker to repair the kite
        -
        > but when it happens, it is so violent to watch !
        >
        > These are my swim-ins, and near-swim-ins.
        >
        > Things can happen, and will happen - always prepare for the worst to
        > happen before going out, but don't think too much (being scared - no
        > good) while out there; just be careful when approaching others.
        >
        > :-) Peter
        >
        > --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > > People frequently ask me how many times I had to swim in with my
        > kites
        > > (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here are
        > some "approximated"
        > > statistics:
        > >
        > > Wipika Classic 3.5: None
        > > Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
        > > being inexperienced)
        > > Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
        > > being inexperienced)
        > > All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and EX's 12.5): 50%
        each
        > > time I crashed the kite (less with handles and more with bars)
        > > New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
        > > AR5 5.5: None
        > > AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold water when I
        > could not
        > > swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The second time was when
        > had
        > > 2 center leader lines instead of 1.
        > >
        > > Some other kites that I used either briefly or for 1 or 2 days:
        > >
        > > ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to relaunch the
        > Arc; we
        > > waited too long and the water got in the kite)
        > > Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
        > > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite
        > >
        > > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened
        > cell
        > > foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it
        comes
        > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just
        > watch out
        > > for very cold water)...
        > >
        > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are
        > probably
        > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
        > out in
        > > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle
        > > tangle)
        > >
        > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due
        > the
        > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for

      • hungvuatnetcomdotca
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1 2:39 PM
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
          > In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
          > sideshore winds.
          > I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
          > So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
          > the boards has no volume at all !
          > And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar
          in
          > the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
          > further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
          > long beach-run, to get it back !

          If you also count swim-ins associated with accidents then I had one of
          these early Naish safety leash too and got it ripped the AR5 5.5 right
          out of my hands during a violent gust at Costamba, DR. I had to swim
          in without the kite and the kite still have a few patches for me to
          remember the incident.

          Hung.