Re: Remove the Leash

  • igsmith
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
      I snap shackle and have a removable leash. I use the airush bars, and
      instead of having the wrist leash connected, I end the line in an O
      ring.

      The system is very simple. I have a DaKine XT Seat Harness and
      attached a small O ring to the harness (through the straps). To this,
      I have a small snap shackle. Connected to the snap shackle is a small
      stretch of q power line, ending in a small carabiner. The carabiner
      attaches to the "grab leash" on the airush bar (this is a sliding bar
      safety system).

      I always launch and land with the safety connected (because I will
      not be spinning on land!!) and once I am safely away from shore, I
      unhook it and snap it to my harness. And, before I come in, I do the
      same. It takes about 2 seconds to hook and unhook. You end up with a
      loop of q power attached to you, but it never seems to get in the way.

      I do think you need a system to release from the safety, because it
      can happen that lines get all screwed up and you may need to dump the
      entire rig.

    • peter_frank_dk
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
        I ride with the leash hooked, now and then - but normally without.

        But I always hook the leash on, when starting at "dangerous" places
        (rocks, stones, boats to the leeward), and then usually dehook when
        in the water.

        Now I just use the std. Wipika plastic clip. Hook it into a ring on
        my trapeze, and then on the clip on the bar, when on the water.
        And I just take it one more time around the center lines, when
        dehooking on the water, so it won't dangle and your board can't get
        caught when doing deadmans or something else "upside down".

        I was amazed how much load these plastic things can take - they look
        so "cheap" (and I think they are...), but works really good.

        Leashes can only be mounted on the trapeze, in order to not disturb
        too much, IMO. Hand leashes can not be used.

        Today I don't mind using the leash that much, because it seems easy
        to just make a few reverse double or single spins, or change
        direction and make some new spins to untwist.
        In fact I found that it is a good excersize - otherwise you tend to
        do your Favorite trick/spins most of the time - and you get worse and
        worse on your "bad" directions because they are not practiced !

        If you have to make the untwists when almost forced to, instead of
        just spinning the bar - you'll get better as a kiter IMO !

        Just my experiences.

        :-) Peter Frank

      • kiteboard2000
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "igsmith" <igsmith@y...> wrote:

          > I snap shackle and have a removable leash. ...
          > I always launch and land with the safety connected (because I will
          > not be spinning on land!!) and once I am safely away from shore, I
          > unhook it and snap it to my harness.

          This still endangers anybody unlucky enough to be downwind of you on
          the water, & is also not the best for onshore conditions (endangering
          those on shore). If you want nothing on your wrist, nothing that
          won't spin, nothing that gets in the way, nothing that you have to
          try to grab to retain your kite, but something to always keep you,
          your kite, & other people safe when you have to release it, check out
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/files/
          scroll down & click "Mel's Stuff" then "MelMods", then "Mel's
          Mounting Methods" & there's a photo of a spinning leash system.

          It's shown on a "line rlease" shackle (Wichard 2673) but also works
          with any "trigger" shackle (like a Tylaska T-8).

          If you don't want to pay $40 for a bungied SlingShot leash (or make
          your own) the plain black leash line shown simply droops down a
          little below the bar, & doesn't get in the way of a harness line
          (just feed the leash through the harness line's loop, if you use one).

          If you already have a shackle which doesn't have the "extra" fixed
          opening (like the Wichard or Tylaska) then you can just attach a $12
          plain swivel from West Marine to the spreader, and attach the leash &
          shackle to the other side of the swivel. IF your shackle has a
          welded release ring, some riders attach the leash to it (or replace
          it with a loop of stainless sailboat rigging cable, before attaching
          the leash).

          Mel
        • peter_frank_dk
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
            Thats right - be sure to have some safety release on the safety leash
            (am I drunk ? - it sounds funny - try to say it fast...)
            A simple snap shackle into a ring in a normal safety release system
            on your trapeze (I think all brands are making them now).
            Easy and effective !

            :-) Peter

          • kiteboard2000
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:

              > I have tried some spinning leash systems from this forum but I
              found
              > situations when the leash became dangerously wrapped up after a
              > spin.

              So wrapped that it wouldn't release? Have you tested it when
              wrapped? I was a bit surprised at the perfect function of my wrapped
              lines, when releasing to the leash after watching my "bow-tied" arc
              do about 6 spins (it took me that long to realize I'd have to
              release). If it really won't release after a few spins, you could
              maintain safety by just adding a small, plain snap shackle to the
              leash itself (so you can release from everything in the unlikely
              event of depower-system failure).

              > Removing the leash is safer.

              Maybe safer for YOU, but what about that poor sap (possibly me!)
              riding downwind of you when somebody else runs into YOU, or you have
              a MAJOR wipeout or line failure (requiring you to release your kite
              into mine).

              Mel
            • callum_downie
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                Hi Steve,
                Alot of the more experienced crew around here now are ditching their
                leashes if they're using a shackle to connect to the kite. (the guy
                riding the 18.9 RRD that day I was at dolls point is an example).

                For a few reasons, the surf is one, spinning and twists is another -
                when i spin at the moment my leash becomes dangerous untill I reach
                down and rotate my supposed swivelling snap shackle.
                Often at the moment if we ditch a kite in the surf we disconnect from
                it totally anyway, getting rid of the leash. Because if you have
                tension on any one line and a wave breaks or rolls into your kite the
                kite will more than likely blow out, if the kite is free then it
                tumbles and goes with the wave easier. And also beacuse the kite will
                pull you under the water when it's being hit by waves as well - as
                you seam to have found out!!

                I am going to change my setup so I can use the leash whilst on the
                beach and take it off once I get in the water. You know my story
                about getting multiple lines wrapped around myself in surf - one less
                line as got to be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

                Obviously there are many arguments for and against using a leash.
                I think if the rider is experience enough and has been given
                enough "lessons" by the kite to know his/her limits. And the
                conditions are reasonable then I don't think it is to much of a
                problem.

                It's a real each to their own at the moment!

                Catch ya,
                Callum

                > Sorry to dredge this up, but in talking to the riders with balls
                big enough
                > to go out at Fingal Bay at Easter, I discovered virtually all of
                them
                > removed or disabled their leashes.
                > I wanted to hear from people who do go out in big surf (+10 foot
                faces) what
                > they feel about leashes in big surf, and at comps.
                > I have been caught in 1.5M surf and crashed the kite to find myself
                being
                > towed underwater, released the bar and was still being dragged but
                I was
                > mostly able to keep my head above the water, towards the end of my
                200M
                > dragging, I had to release the kite altogether as it was dragging
                so much I
                > could not keep my head above the water, and I was wearing an
                > impact/flotation vest. It is not something I want to repeat very
                often!

                > Cya and
                > Goodwinds
                > Steve McCormack
                > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                > mailto:sydney@k...
                > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                > mailto:geelong@k...
              • kitermatt
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Hi Steve,
                  I ride with a board and kite leash in flat water and small
                  waves all the time. I am a big advocate of leashes. However, as soon
                  as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em both.
                  In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when you eat it.
                  Plus, your board will wash in and you can body drag to it. Similarly,
                  if you let go of your kite in the surf you usually mean to to do that.
                  That is, if you have dropped it and are getting dragged you. I can
                  then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any damage I
                  hope. There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound. The
                  leash is more to tangle in as well. That's dangerous.
                  Matt

                  > Sorry to dredge this up, but in talking to the riders with balls big
                  enough
                  > to go out at Fingal Bay at Easter, I discovered virtually all of
                  them
                  > removed or disabled their leashes.
                  > I wanted to hear from people who do go out in big surf (+10 foot
                  faces) what
                  > they feel about leashes in big surf, and at comps.
                  > I have been caught in 1.5M surf and crashed the kite to find myself
                  being
                  > towed underwater, released the bar and was still being dragged but I
                  was
                  > mostly able to keep my head above the water, towards the end of my
                  200M
                  > dragging, I had to release the kite altogether as it was dragging so
                  much I
                  > could not keep my head above the water, and I was wearing an
                  > impact/flotation vest. It is not something I want to repeat very
                  often!

                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  > mailto:sydney@k...
                  > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  > mailto:geelong@k...
                • Andre Myburgh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                    This sounds a bit self centered to me:

                    > However, as soon
                    > as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em both.
                    > In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when
                    > you eat it.

                    And neither does anybody swimming / surfing close to you.

                    > I can
                    > then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any damage I
                    > hope.

                    To whom, the kite or the poor doos who got in the way of it.

                    > There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound.

                    Lucky you. If not, would it not go blowing down the beach taking out others?

                    Not trying to be sarcastic here, just thinking we sometimes worry a lot
                    about ourselves and our gear - and make changes or ditch our 'safety' gear
                    to gain freedom and personal safety with disregard to others. Sure, if you
                    ride at an empty beach, that's fine. I would say ditch the board leash on
                    flat water (easy to bodydrag back to it, etc.) and keep it on in surf - if
                    you're afraid of being hit/tangled, then maybe you shouldn't be out. A
                    leashless kite: I don't know, sounds dangerous to everybody but yourself.

                    My thoughts, flame away...

                    André
                  • kiteboard2000
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                      --- In kitesurf@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:

                      > This sounds a bit self centered to me...
                      > ...sounds dangerous to everybody but yourself.
                      >
                      > My thoughts, flame away...

                      No flame from me. I couldn't agree more (unless there's never
                      anybody but alert, experienced kiteboarders in the path of the
                      released kite).

                      Mel
                    • Kitepower

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                          Hi Andre,
                          My comments inline below:

                          --- In kitesurf@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:
                          > This sounds a bit self centered to me:
                          >
                          > > However, as soon
                          > > as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em
                          both.
                          > > In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when
                          > > you eat it.
                          >
                          > And neither does anybody swimming / surfing close to you.

                          Uh, when it's blowing over 15 knots there is no one surfing. Also, the
                          water is 48-52 degrees F so no one is swimming. The beach where I go
                          when it's big is in Northern California and it's not a place where
                          people just go to hang out on a windy day. The only people in the
                          water are other kiters, and only a few of them at that. It's not like
                          it's some town beach where people are hanging out. Also, it's a
                          well-defined point break, so the only people in the waves are riding,
                          while everyone kiting back out is in the channel downwind. Kites don't
                          wash in through the channel. They wash in on the point where no one is
                          kiting out.

                          > > I can
                          > > then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any
                          damage I
                          > > hope.
                          >
                          > To whom, the kite or the poor doos who got in the way of it.
                          >
                          > > There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound.
                          >
                          > Lucky you. If not, would it not go blowing down the beach taking out
                          others?

                          Nope. I have seen kites wash in many times, and they just get worked
                          and wrapped up in the shorepound for minutes on end. We have a rip
                          current that even takes them back out sometimes. Also, the wind is
                          dead sideshore so kites don't blow onto the beach. We have a
                          tight-knit crew here so we are all looking out for each other,
                          grabbing kites. This kind of environment makes it easier to use kites
                          with a leashless system. Don't you think I would have thought about
                          the kind of environment where I kite before using a leashless system -
                          empty beach, sideshore wind, other kiter friends on the beach, in big
                          waves only. This works here, but may not apply where you kite.

                          Additionally, when your kite goes down in surf and gets dragged by a
                          wave, this will almost always break your kite leash. So the situation
                          is the same, whether you use a kite leash or not. Dropping your kite
                          in big surf = swimming in after it. If this did not happen I would use
                          a kite leash.

                          > Not trying to be sarcastic here, just thinking we sometimes worry a
                          lot
                          > about ourselves and our gear - and make changes or ditch our
                          'safety' gear
                          > to gain freedom and personal safety with disregard to others. Sure,
                          if you
                          > ride at an empty beach, that's fine. I would say ditch the board
                          leash on
                          > flat water (easy to bodydrag back to it, etc.) and keep it on in
                          surf - if
                          > you're afraid of being hit/tangled, then maybe you shouldn't be out.

                          Uh, not really. In our so-called "flat" water, using a board leash,
                          at least around here, is desirable, because there is always windswell
                          and you can't see your board many times after you eat it. I choose to
                          use a board leash, and some others don't when the surf is small. It
                          works either way.
                          However, in surf, the board leash is a liability. I have had it wrap
                          around me and go through my kite lines, as well as having the board
                          wash over me in waves. I have surfed for many years, on waves bigger
                          than you have even thought about getting into, and I use a surfboard
                          leash to surf. But on a kite, the board leash is not helpful in bigger
                          surf.

                          > leashless kite: I don't know, sounds dangerous to everybody but
                          yourself.

                          When your kite leash breaks in big surf when you drop your kite,
                          you're leashless anyway.

                          > My thoughts, flame away...

                          No flames. I just think you need to try kiting in big waves yourself
                          before making posts like this. From your post, I can tell that you
                          haven't done it. Also, your local beach and people conditions factor
                          into the leash decisions.

                          Shred on,
                          Matt

                          > André
                        • Andre Myburgh
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                            > No flames. I just think you need to try kiting in big waves yourself
                            > before making posts like this. From your post, I can tell that you
                            > haven't done it.

                            That's true - biggest kitesurfing was 4ft max, but I have surfed 8ft, and
                            can imagine you don't want to be attached to anything when wiping in that.

                            > Also, your local beach and people conditions factor
                            > into the leash decisions.

                            So we agree then, > "Sure, if you ride at an empty beach, that's fine"

                            PS. What kites do you use that survives "6-8 foot" waves?

                            Cheers

                            André

                            > Shred on,
                            > Matt
                            >

                            > > André
                            >

                            > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
                            > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                            >
                            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • kitermatt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                              Hi Andre,
                              Yes, we definitely agree. Not using kite leashes are ONLY ok at an
                              empty beach, preferably while using a snap shackle. As far as what I
                              ride that survives overhead surf, believe it or not I use Air Blasts.
                              I have broken the leash and ripped out the pigtails on one side. The
                              real key is to not drop your kite :-). One reason the no-leash thing
                              is ok at our beach is that no one really drops their kites in the surf
                              that often, so it hasn't been an issue. Maybe once every few weeks
                              someone will drop a kite and have to swim in after it. I've dropped
                              mine 2 times in the surf in the last year and had to swim in. But
                              yeah, keep the kite dry and all is good.
                              We had double-triple overhead waves here 3 weeks ago in powered up
                              11.5 wind. That's huge waves for a kite, but our local crew did well.
                              I saw Peter Schiebel, owner of Caution Kites, on like a 20 ft. face.
                              Wave of the day. Nuts!
                              Take care mon,
                              Matt

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                                I was hoping not to start a flame/opinion war, oh well! :-)))
                                I wanted to hear from people who actually ride in big surf frequently, or
                                who have found themselves having to compete in large surf, when not used to
                                these conditions.
                                The opinions of people who have never faced these conditions is not wanted
                                in this thread (please), and these people will be of lower skill anyway so
                                they should always be wearing leashes and other safety gear which we all
                                know.

                                I think it is valuable to all of us to hear from these experienced big
                                wave/wind riders, there are VERY REAL SAFETY issues involved with wearing
                                leashes (board or kite) in big surf.

                                All the arguments for wearing a leash in these conditions one are flawed and
                                dangerous.

                                No other water/wind sports enthusiasts were able to enjoy the conditions we
                                had at Fingal Bay, and anyway are you guys saying wavesailors should wear
                                board leashes too??
                                There is some very limited thinking happening around this leash issue, and
                                it is very important to approach it with an open mind IMO.

                                This sport is not about sacrificing your own safety for the imagined fears
                                of others. There is no reason to not ride 15' or bigger waves if you have
                                the necessary skills and gear to do it, and after my experience in 6' surf
                                there is no way I would wear or advise anyone to wear a leash in the really
                                big conditions.

                                Some of the imaginary scenarios from the wear leashes no matter what brigade
                                are either extremely unlikely to ever occur or just simply do not occur, in
                                my experience.

                                Cya and
                                Goodwinds
                                Steve McCormack
                                http://www.kitepower.com.au
                                mailto:sydney@...
                                Open 7 days
                                126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                                Phone +61293157894

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                                  The person who suggested wearing a board leash in sizable surf has
                                  got to be kidding. I'm sorry but that is close to the worst piece of
                                  adivse I think I have sceen on this group.

                                  A few weeks ago now I had the unfortunate pleasure? of having a
                                  fellow rider ask for me to look at the top of his head and advise him
                                  of how bad the gash in his head was. Lets just say I almost threw
                                  up. He got hit by his board beacause he came off in the surf line
                                  and his kite dragged him downwind toward the beach when he came off -
                                  as kites do. This has put his board right between him and the next
                                  set wave and of course when the wave hit it has thrown the board
                                  right at him. This was in a nasty 6-8ft swell, nasty because it was
                                  heaving up of a shallow sand bank producing a nasty dumping wave.

                                  And then there is the danger of the board leash wrapping around you
                                  if you are in getting tossed around in the breaking wave. I have had
                                  this experience, as i have written here before, I had the leaders of
                                  my kite around my legs and the board leash nicely got wrapped around
                                  my neck. I was this '' close to giving up kiting after that little
                                  episode (obviously glad I didn't!).

                                  Look at these two incidents, imagine being part of them either in the
                                  first person or not. NOW advise me that I should put a leash back on
                                  my board.
                                  And before you say what if in the first incident he hadn't had a
                                  leash and the board had hit another water user. For one, the board is
                                  unlikly to do that because it's not likely to end up directly between
                                  someone and a wave the reason it ends up there for a rider is beacuse
                                  the leash effectivly pulls the board into that position.
                                  And very unlikely in those conditions, there was 4 kites out and
                                  about 6 surfers on another break a little way away, I didn't see
                                  another person in the water.

                                  There is no question what so ever that the board leash is a bad idea
                                  in sizable surf.
                                  The only question is, what about the kite leash...

                                  Callum