Re: Remove the Leash

  • cfglazier
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
      Drew
      I agree with you. I ride shackled in now and when I am safely out on
      the water, I remove my leash and tie it to my bar. Then I put my
      leash back on before landing.
      I have tried some spinning leash systems from this forum but I found
      situations when the leash became dangerously wrapped up after a
      spin. Removing the leash is safer. (This only applies for
      experienced kitesurfers who are doing spins.)
      I would be interested in the details on anyone's removable
      leash ..like where do you keep it and how do you clip it on.

      Chris G

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "agraceafc" <agraceafc@b...> wrote:
      > Remove the leash!!!
      >
      > I have been following with interest the recent debates on Leash-
      less
      > kites and thought I would add my some further topical information
      on
      > the issue. Other forums have started to discuss if there is the
      need
      > for a permanent safety leash systems and there has been some very
      > good suggestions on the logical use of a Rider leash-less systems
      at.
      > (http://star-board.com/kitediv02/forum/forum.asp) look up the
      posting
      > on shackles.
      >
      > I noted Dwight first introduced this topic a few weeks back and
      got
      > slammed for suggesting Leash-less riding but my suggestion is that
      > blanked outright rejection of the suggestion is born out of
      ignorance
      > rather than constructive thought on the matter. I propose the
      > following circumstances where it is acceptable to use a leash-less
      > system. Now before anyone decides to post back replies that this
      is
      > irresponsible to suggest this because Newbies may be reading this,
      > would just like to point out that this site is a discussion forum
      and
      > really the beginner to the sport should be subscribing to other
      web
      > sites that are dedicated to learning the great sport of Kite
      Boarding

      (
      > IMO)
      >
      > Most riders that I have come across including myself in recent
      times
      > use a permanently hooked in system, snap release system or
      similar.
      > With this in mind the concept of a Safety leash becomes a
      redundant
      > peace of equipment and even becomes dangerous in some cases once
      > multiple spins are performed on a regular basis during jumps. I
      have
      > experienced the leash wrapping around the middle leader lines
      and
      > breaking rendering the whole de-power system useless in the past.
      >
      > Now if we go back into the history of why the Leash was developed
      it
      > was to prevent the early 2 line kites from blowing down the beach,
      > rider-less out of control. Two line kites were never flown
      > permanently hooked-in, the case today is that many 4 line riders
      > today are riding permanently hooked into their kite. The main
      point
      > to note is that this sport is changing quickly and I believe we
      need
      > to constantly access why we do a certain procedure, use particular
      > equipment. Its my opinion that we have developed a double condom
      > attitude to this sport in regards to the safety leash systems
      > currently employed. Why are we hooking ourselves in TWICE when
      once
      > is more that sufficient. At this point I will not go into detail
      of
      > the system I use as most experience boarders reading this will
      have a
      > fairly good idea of the system anyway. By riding free without a
      leash
      > you will enjoy you Kite Boarding a great deal more and still be
      able
      > to provide for safety situation on Launch and Landings but using a
      > removable leash system. Romove that each condom from your
      > equipment.....
      >

      > cheers and goodwinds
      > Drew
    • igsmith
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
        I snap shackle and have a removable leash. I use the airush bars, and
        instead of having the wrist leash connected, I end the line in an O
        ring.

        The system is very simple. I have a DaKine XT Seat Harness and
        attached a small O ring to the harness (through the straps). To this,
        I have a small snap shackle. Connected to the snap shackle is a small
        stretch of q power line, ending in a small carabiner. The carabiner
        attaches to the "grab leash" on the airush bar (this is a sliding bar
        safety system).

        I always launch and land with the safety connected (because I will
        not be spinning on land!!) and once I am safely away from shore, I
        unhook it and snap it to my harness. And, before I come in, I do the
        same. It takes about 2 seconds to hook and unhook. You end up with a
        loop of q power attached to you, but it never seems to get in the way.

        I do think you need a system to release from the safety, because it
        can happen that lines get all screwed up and you may need to dump the
        entire rig.

      • peter_frank_dk
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
          I ride with the leash hooked, now and then - but normally without.

          But I always hook the leash on, when starting at "dangerous" places
          (rocks, stones, boats to the leeward), and then usually dehook when
          in the water.

          Now I just use the std. Wipika plastic clip. Hook it into a ring on
          my trapeze, and then on the clip on the bar, when on the water.
          And I just take it one more time around the center lines, when
          dehooking on the water, so it won't dangle and your board can't get
          caught when doing deadmans or something else "upside down".

          I was amazed how much load these plastic things can take - they look
          so "cheap" (and I think they are...), but works really good.

          Leashes can only be mounted on the trapeze, in order to not disturb
          too much, IMO. Hand leashes can not be used.

          Today I don't mind using the leash that much, because it seems easy
          to just make a few reverse double or single spins, or change
          direction and make some new spins to untwist.
          In fact I found that it is a good excersize - otherwise you tend to
          do your Favorite trick/spins most of the time - and you get worse and
          worse on your "bad" directions because they are not practiced !

          If you have to make the untwists when almost forced to, instead of
          just spinning the bar - you'll get better as a kiter IMO !

          Just my experiences.

          :-) Peter Frank

        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "igsmith" <igsmith@y...> wrote:

            > I snap shackle and have a removable leash. ...
            > I always launch and land with the safety connected (because I will
            > not be spinning on land!!) and once I am safely away from shore, I
            > unhook it and snap it to my harness.

            This still endangers anybody unlucky enough to be downwind of you on
            the water, & is also not the best for onshore conditions (endangering
            those on shore). If you want nothing on your wrist, nothing that
            won't spin, nothing that gets in the way, nothing that you have to
            try to grab to retain your kite, but something to always keep you,
            your kite, & other people safe when you have to release it, check out
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurf/files/
            scroll down & click "Mel's Stuff" then "MelMods", then "Mel's
            Mounting Methods" & there's a photo of a spinning leash system.

            It's shown on a "line rlease" shackle (Wichard 2673) but also works
            with any "trigger" shackle (like a Tylaska T-8).

            If you don't want to pay $40 for a bungied SlingShot leash (or make
            your own) the plain black leash line shown simply droops down a
            little below the bar, & doesn't get in the way of a harness line
            (just feed the leash through the harness line's loop, if you use one).

            If you already have a shackle which doesn't have the "extra" fixed
            opening (like the Wichard or Tylaska) then you can just attach a $12
            plain swivel from West Marine to the spreader, and attach the leash &
            shackle to the other side of the swivel. IF your shackle has a
            welded release ring, some riders attach the leash to it (or replace
            it with a loop of stainless sailboat rigging cable, before attaching
            the leash).

            Mel
          • peter_frank_dk
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
              Thats right - be sure to have some safety release on the safety leash
              (am I drunk ? - it sounds funny - try to say it fast...)
              A simple snap shackle into a ring in a normal safety release system
              on your trapeze (I think all brands are making them now).
              Easy and effective !

              :-) Peter

            • kiteboard2000
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "cfglazier" <cglazier@c...> wrote:

                > I have tried some spinning leash systems from this forum but I
                found
                > situations when the leash became dangerously wrapped up after a
                > spin.

                So wrapped that it wouldn't release? Have you tested it when
                wrapped? I was a bit surprised at the perfect function of my wrapped
                lines, when releasing to the leash after watching my "bow-tied" arc
                do about 6 spins (it took me that long to realize I'd have to
                release). If it really won't release after a few spins, you could
                maintain safety by just adding a small, plain snap shackle to the
                leash itself (so you can release from everything in the unlikely
                event of depower-system failure).

                > Removing the leash is safer.

                Maybe safer for YOU, but what about that poor sap (possibly me!)
                riding downwind of you when somebody else runs into YOU, or you have
                a MAJOR wipeout or line failure (requiring you to release your kite
                into mine).

                Mel
              • callum_downie
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Hi Steve,
                  Alot of the more experienced crew around here now are ditching their
                  leashes if they're using a shackle to connect to the kite. (the guy
                  riding the 18.9 RRD that day I was at dolls point is an example).

                  For a few reasons, the surf is one, spinning and twists is another -
                  when i spin at the moment my leash becomes dangerous untill I reach
                  down and rotate my supposed swivelling snap shackle.
                  Often at the moment if we ditch a kite in the surf we disconnect from
                  it totally anyway, getting rid of the leash. Because if you have
                  tension on any one line and a wave breaks or rolls into your kite the
                  kite will more than likely blow out, if the kite is free then it
                  tumbles and goes with the wave easier. And also beacuse the kite will
                  pull you under the water when it's being hit by waves as well - as
                  you seam to have found out!!

                  I am going to change my setup so I can use the leash whilst on the
                  beach and take it off once I get in the water. You know my story
                  about getting multiple lines wrapped around myself in surf - one less
                  line as got to be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

                  Obviously there are many arguments for and against using a leash.
                  I think if the rider is experience enough and has been given
                  enough "lessons" by the kite to know his/her limits. And the
                  conditions are reasonable then I don't think it is to much of a
                  problem.

                  It's a real each to their own at the moment!

                  Catch ya,
                  Callum

                  > Sorry to dredge this up, but in talking to the riders with balls
                  big enough
                  > to go out at Fingal Bay at Easter, I discovered virtually all of
                  them
                  > removed or disabled their leashes.
                  > I wanted to hear from people who do go out in big surf (+10 foot
                  faces) what
                  > they feel about leashes in big surf, and at comps.
                  > I have been caught in 1.5M surf and crashed the kite to find myself
                  being
                  > towed underwater, released the bar and was still being dragged but
                  I was
                  > mostly able to keep my head above the water, towards the end of my
                  200M
                  > dragging, I had to release the kite altogether as it was dragging
                  so much I
                  > could not keep my head above the water, and I was wearing an
                  > impact/flotation vest. It is not something I want to repeat very
                  often!

                  > Cya and
                  > Goodwinds
                  > Steve McCormack
                  > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                  > mailto:sydney@k...
                  > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                  > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                  > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                  > mailto:geelong@k...
                • kitermatt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                    Hi Steve,
                    I ride with a board and kite leash in flat water and small
                    waves all the time. I am a big advocate of leashes. However, as soon
                    as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em both.
                    In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when you eat it.
                    Plus, your board will wash in and you can body drag to it. Similarly,
                    if you let go of your kite in the surf you usually mean to to do that.
                    That is, if you have dropped it and are getting dragged you. I can
                    then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any damage I
                    hope. There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound. The
                    leash is more to tangle in as well. That's dangerous.
                    Matt

                    > Sorry to dredge this up, but in talking to the riders with balls big
                    enough
                    > to go out at Fingal Bay at Easter, I discovered virtually all of
                    them
                    > removed or disabled their leashes.
                    > I wanted to hear from people who do go out in big surf (+10 foot
                    faces) what
                    > they feel about leashes in big surf, and at comps.
                    > I have been caught in 1.5M surf and crashed the kite to find myself
                    being
                    > towed underwater, released the bar and was still being dragged but I
                    was
                    > mostly able to keep my head above the water, towards the end of my
                    200M
                    > dragging, I had to release the kite altogether as it was dragging so
                    much I
                    > could not keep my head above the water, and I was wearing an
                    > impact/flotation vest. It is not something I want to repeat very
                    often!

                    > Cya and
                    > Goodwinds
                    > Steve McCormack
                    > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    > mailto:sydney@k...
                    > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                    > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                    > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                    > mailto:geelong@k...
                  • Andre Myburgh
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 3, 2002
                      This sounds a bit self centered to me:

                      > However, as soon
                      > as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em both.
                      > In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when
                      > you eat it.

                      And neither does anybody swimming / surfing close to you.

                      > I can
                      > then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any damage I
                      > hope.

                      To whom, the kite or the poor doos who got in the way of it.

                      > There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound.

                      Lucky you. If not, would it not go blowing down the beach taking out others?

                      Not trying to be sarcastic here, just thinking we sometimes worry a lot
                      about ourselves and our gear - and make changes or ditch our 'safety' gear
                      to gain freedom and personal safety with disregard to others. Sure, if you
                      ride at an empty beach, that's fine. I would say ditch the board leash on
                      flat water (easy to bodydrag back to it, etc.) and keep it on in surf - if
                      you're afraid of being hit/tangled, then maybe you shouldn't be out. A
                      leashless kite: I don't know, sounds dangerous to everybody but yourself.

                      My thoughts, flame away...

                      André
                    • kiteboard2000
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                        --- In kitesurf@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:

                        > This sounds a bit self centered to me...
                        > ...sounds dangerous to everybody but yourself.
                        >
                        > My thoughts, flame away...

                        No flame from me. I couldn't agree more (unless there's never
                        anybody but alert, experienced kiteboarders in the path of the
                        released kite).

                        Mel
                      • Kitepower

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                            Hi Andre,
                            My comments inline below:

                            --- In kitesurf@y..., Andre Myburgh <andrem@c...> wrote:
                            > This sounds a bit self centered to me:
                            >
                            > > However, as soon
                            > > as the surf gets to about 6-8 foot faces and bigger I toss 'em
                            both.
                            > > In bigger waves, you don't want to be near your board when
                            > > you eat it.
                            >
                            > And neither does anybody swimming / surfing close to you.

                            Uh, when it's blowing over 15 knots there is no one surfing. Also, the
                            water is 48-52 degrees F so no one is swimming. The beach where I go
                            when it's big is in Northern California and it's not a place where
                            people just go to hang out on a windy day. The only people in the
                            water are other kiters, and only a few of them at that. It's not like
                            it's some town beach where people are hanging out. Also, it's a
                            well-defined point break, so the only people in the waves are riding,
                            while everyone kiting back out is in the channel downwind. Kites don't
                            wash in through the channel. They wash in on the point where no one is
                            kiting out.

                            > > I can
                            > > then just pop my shackle and the kite washes in, without any
                            damage I
                            > > hope.
                            >
                            > To whom, the kite or the poor doos who got in the way of it.
                            >
                            > > There's usually someone there to grab it in the shorepound.
                            >
                            > Lucky you. If not, would it not go blowing down the beach taking out
                            others?

                            Nope. I have seen kites wash in many times, and they just get worked
                            and wrapped up in the shorepound for minutes on end. We have a rip
                            current that even takes them back out sometimes. Also, the wind is
                            dead sideshore so kites don't blow onto the beach. We have a
                            tight-knit crew here so we are all looking out for each other,
                            grabbing kites. This kind of environment makes it easier to use kites
                            with a leashless system. Don't you think I would have thought about
                            the kind of environment where I kite before using a leashless system -
                            empty beach, sideshore wind, other kiter friends on the beach, in big
                            waves only. This works here, but may not apply where you kite.

                            Additionally, when your kite goes down in surf and gets dragged by a
                            wave, this will almost always break your kite leash. So the situation
                            is the same, whether you use a kite leash or not. Dropping your kite
                            in big surf = swimming in after it. If this did not happen I would use
                            a kite leash.

                            > Not trying to be sarcastic here, just thinking we sometimes worry a
                            lot
                            > about ourselves and our gear - and make changes or ditch our
                            'safety' gear
                            > to gain freedom and personal safety with disregard to others. Sure,
                            if you
                            > ride at an empty beach, that's fine. I would say ditch the board
                            leash on
                            > flat water (easy to bodydrag back to it, etc.) and keep it on in
                            surf - if
                            > you're afraid of being hit/tangled, then maybe you shouldn't be out.

                            Uh, not really. In our so-called "flat" water, using a board leash,
                            at least around here, is desirable, because there is always windswell
                            and you can't see your board many times after you eat it. I choose to
                            use a board leash, and some others don't when the surf is small. It
                            works either way.
                            However, in surf, the board leash is a liability. I have had it wrap
                            around me and go through my kite lines, as well as having the board
                            wash over me in waves. I have surfed for many years, on waves bigger
                            than you have even thought about getting into, and I use a surfboard
                            leash to surf. But on a kite, the board leash is not helpful in bigger
                            surf.

                            > leashless kite: I don't know, sounds dangerous to everybody but
                            yourself.

                            When your kite leash breaks in big surf when you drop your kite,
                            you're leashless anyway.

                            > My thoughts, flame away...

                            No flames. I just think you need to try kiting in big waves yourself
                            before making posts like this. From your post, I can tell that you
                            haven't done it. Also, your local beach and people conditions factor
                            into the leash decisions.

                            Shred on,
                            Matt

                            > André
                          • Andre Myburgh
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                              > No flames. I just think you need to try kiting in big waves yourself
                              > before making posts like this. From your post, I can tell that you
                              > haven't done it.

                              That's true - biggest kitesurfing was 4ft max, but I have surfed 8ft, and
                              can imagine you don't want to be attached to anything when wiping in that.

                              > Also, your local beach and people conditions factor
                              > into the leash decisions.

                              So we agree then, > "Sure, if you ride at an empty beach, that's fine"

                              PS. What kites do you use that survives "6-8 foot" waves?

                              Cheers

                              André

                              > Shred on,
                              > Matt
                              >

                              > > André
                              >

                              > <<<to unsubscribe send a message to
                              > kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                              >
                              > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • kitermatt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                                Hi Andre,
                                Yes, we definitely agree. Not using kite leashes are ONLY ok at an
                                empty beach, preferably while using a snap shackle. As far as what I
                                ride that survives overhead surf, believe it or not I use Air Blasts.
                                I have broken the leash and ripped out the pigtails on one side. The
                                real key is to not drop your kite :-). One reason the no-leash thing
                                is ok at our beach is that no one really drops their kites in the surf
                                that often, so it hasn't been an issue. Maybe once every few weeks
                                someone will drop a kite and have to swim in after it. I've dropped
                                mine 2 times in the surf in the last year and had to swim in. But
                                yeah, keep the kite dry and all is good.
                                We had double-triple overhead waves here 3 weeks ago in powered up
                                11.5 wind. That's huge waves for a kite, but our local crew did well.
                                I saw Peter Schiebel, owner of Caution Kites, on like a 20 ft. face.
                                Wave of the day. Nuts!
                                Take care mon,
                                Matt

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                                  I was hoping not to start a flame/opinion war, oh well! :-)))
                                  I wanted to hear from people who actually ride in big surf frequently, or
                                  who have found themselves having to compete in large surf, when not used to
                                  these conditions.
                                  The opinions of people who have never faced these conditions is not wanted
                                  in this thread (please), and these people will be of lower skill anyway so
                                  they should always be wearing leashes and other safety gear which we all
                                  know.

                                  I think it is valuable to all of us to hear from these experienced big
                                  wave/wind riders, there are VERY REAL SAFETY issues involved with wearing
                                  leashes (board or kite) in big surf.

                                  All the arguments for wearing a leash in these conditions one are flawed and
                                  dangerous.

                                  No other water/wind sports enthusiasts were able to enjoy the conditions we
                                  had at Fingal Bay, and anyway are you guys saying wavesailors should wear
                                  board leashes too??
                                  There is some very limited thinking happening around this leash issue, and
                                  it is very important to approach it with an open mind IMO.

                                  This sport is not about sacrificing your own safety for the imagined fears
                                  of others. There is no reason to not ride 15' or bigger waves if you have
                                  the necessary skills and gear to do it, and after my experience in 6' surf
                                  there is no way I would wear or advise anyone to wear a leash in the really
                                  big conditions.

                                  Some of the imaginary scenarios from the wear leashes no matter what brigade
                                  are either extremely unlikely to ever occur or just simply do not occur, in
                                  my experience.

                                  Cya and
                                  Goodwinds
                                  Steve McCormack
                                  http://www.kitepower.com.au
                                  mailto:sydney@...
                                  Open 7 days
                                  126 Beach St, Coogee, Sydney, Australia 2034
                                  Phone +61293157894

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 4, 2002
                                    The person who suggested wearing a board leash in sizable surf has
                                    got to be kidding. I'm sorry but that is close to the worst piece of
                                    adivse I think I have sceen on this group.

                                    A few weeks ago now I had the unfortunate pleasure? of having a
                                    fellow rider ask for me to look at the top of his head and advise him
                                    of how bad the gash in his head was. Lets just say I almost threw
                                    up. He got hit by his board beacause he came off in the surf line
                                    and his kite dragged him downwind toward the beach when he came off -
                                    as kites do. This has put his board right between him and the next
                                    set wave and of course when the wave hit it has thrown the board
                                    right at him. This was in a nasty 6-8ft swell, nasty because it was
                                    heaving up of a shallow sand bank producing a nasty dumping wave.

                                    And then there is the danger of the board leash wrapping around you
                                    if you are in getting tossed around in the breaking wave. I have had
                                    this experience, as i have written here before, I had the leaders of
                                    my kite around my legs and the board leash nicely got wrapped around
                                    my neck. I was this '' close to giving up kiting after that little
                                    episode (obviously glad I didn't!).

                                    Look at these two incidents, imagine being part of them either in the
                                    first person or not. NOW advise me that I should put a leash back on
                                    my board.
                                    And before you say what if in the first incident he hadn't had a
                                    leash and the board had hit another water user. For one, the board is
                                    unlikly to do that because it's not likely to end up directly between
                                    someone and a wave the reason it ends up there for a rider is beacuse
                                    the leash effectivly pulls the board into that position.
                                    And very unlikely in those conditions, there was 4 kites out and
                                    about 6 surfers on another break a little way away, I didn't see
                                    another person in the water.

                                    There is no question what so ever that the board leash is a bad idea
                                    in sizable surf.
                                    The only question is, what about the kite leash...

                                    Callum