Re: Swim-in or not?

  • wahlum
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      I fly F-ones in 3 line mode, and have never had to swim in due to not
      being able to re-launch on the water (and I do put them in the drink
      every once in a while!)

      The only time I had to swim in was when a flying line broke out in the
      middle of the bay. I paddled/dragged behind partial kite sail for a
      ways and then a fellow kiter towed me most of the way back to shore.

      Check them lines! :^)

    • peter_frank_dk
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        I had a very close encounter once - an "almost" swim-in !

        Was out with a 22.3 m2 kite in the summer, in 8-9 knots, alone.
        During a jump far out, the kite went down.
        At the same time, the wind dropped to 5-7 knots.
        I sat on my (rather small) board, and was about to reverse relaunch.
        This is no problem, even in too light wind to kitesurf - you can
        reverse launch every kitesize in a few knots of wind in fact.
        BUT - my first attempt did not succed (I was not that experienced in
        reversing at that time - and not aware of what NOT to do). The kite
        backed up fine, but when I turned the kite around, I forgot to pull
        the frontlines enough - and the kite sat down on its trailing edge !!

        In this low wind, a huge high AR kite sitting with the T.E. down is
        simply PARKED for good.
        The wind was so low, that I drifted slowly. So I tied the bar to my
        board, and swimmed to the kite, and turned it around front tube down.
        Waited for the board/bar to drift to me - and then relaunched
        reverse "normally" again - and I could sinus my way back in.

        That was a close one !

        In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
        sideshore winds.
        I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
        So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
        the boards has no volume at all !
        And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar in
        the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
        further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
        long beach-run, to get it back !

        In another instance, I got a frontline wrapped around the kite - and
        could not "shake" it right, like you usually can.

        Then one of the buddies kited down to the kite, and tried pulling
        here and there, till it was free - thanks a lot !

        In another instance, my kite flew away (winter wind gusts) - and I
        was not leashed at that moment.
        One guy kited to my kite and held on to it, another kited to me, and
        pulled me downwind to my bar again (a loooong way).
        Again - thanks a lot for having friends !
        It saved me a lot of walking, and "off" the water time, which is
        never pleasant, but sometimes very educating in "things NOT to do"
        (like not having a kiteleash, in winter gusty wind).

        Once, when I had a Mosquito foil, it got so soaked because I was too
        slow at relaunching, that it was like an anchor. I was far out, just
        at the "jibing" point (how come you always drop the kite here, and
        not in shallow water ?)
        A windsurfer helped pulling me ashore, taking ½ or 1 hour - otherwise
        I think I might have had to let the kite go, and pick it up somewhere
        else - IF possible at all.
        Here I was out at a very large (you can not see land on the other
        side) fjord (almost closed bay), wind was sideshore, and I was
        drifting towards the very current-filled inlet/outlet of the fjord,
        where there are boat traffic, and fishing nets, and there can be sooo
        dangerous currents out to the sea, at low tide at this place.
        I was just lucky that he helped me. Because it was a fjord, I did not
        mind that the wind was sideshore (but I should have !)

        We never go out in sideshore wind - always slightly onshore at least,
        so IF the worst happens, you'll just drift ashore. It might take
        long, if you are far out - but you will get ashore.
        Especially when out in big waves - the wind is almost perfectly
        sideshore of course (best for jumping, riding) - but we still want it
        to be just a few degrees onshore, so we don't have to rely on the
        waves to "flush" us ashore.

        We have not had any accidents in big waves yet - but I think this is
        because of the lessons you learn by your and others mistakes/bad luck.

        At a kite contest early last year, I flew under my kite during a
        difficult trick attempt - it luffed, the main line got wrapped around
        the trailing edge - and teared the kite in two (almost - it stopped
        at the front tube of course) when it got powered again going down.
        Had to swim (or drift) ashore - but I was not far out because of the
        running heat. It was very easy to get a sailmaker to repair the kite -
        but when it happens, it is so violent to watch !

        These are my swim-ins, and near-swim-ins.

        Things can happen, and will happen - always prepare for the worst to
        happen before going out, but don't think too much (being scared - no
        good) while out there; just be careful when approaching others.

        :-) Peter

      • wipika_ab
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          I had two swim-in so far and both in Texas!

          Once, on my AR5 9.5 the wind dropped to near nothing (damm Gusty
          Texas winds!!!) and I had to swim back to shore. Lucky me I was just
          200 meters from the beach, but it's always frustrating.

          Another time I was on my ARX 19.5 WITHOUT reverse lauching and the
          kite dropped from the sky in a big lull. Well... everybody with a
          kite this size and without reverse bridle, knows what happend
          next!! :))

          Good winds
          Carlos

        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite
            > >
            > > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened
            > cell
            > > foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it
            comes
            > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just
            > watch out
            > > for very cold water)...
            > >
            > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are
            > probably
            > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
            > out in
            > > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle
            > > tangle)
            > >
            > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due
            > the
            > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
              > In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
              > sideshore winds.
              > I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
              > So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
              > the boards has no volume at all !
              > And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar
              in
              > the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
              > further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
              > long beach-run, to get it back !

              If you also count swim-ins associated with accidents then I had one of
              these early Naish safety leash too and got it ripped the AR5 5.5 right
              out of my hands during a violent gust at Costamba, DR. I had to swim
              in without the kite and the kite still have a few patches for me to
              remember the incident.

              Hung.