Swim-in or not?

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
      People frequently ask me how many times I had to swim in with my kites
      (due to not being able to relaunch them). Here are some "approximated"
      statistics:

      Wipika Classic 3.5: None
      Wipika Classic 5.0: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      being inexperienced)
      Wipika Classic 8.5: 1 or 2 times (wind dropped, bridle tangled and
      being inexperienced)
      All of my opened cell foils (EX's 6.0, XXXL and EX's 12.5): 50% each
      time I crashed the kite (less with handles and more with bars)
      New Wave 4.9 (a closed cell foil): None
      AR5 5.5: None
      AR5 11.5: Twice. The first time was in very cold water when I could not
      swim fast enough to flip the kite over. The second time was when I had
      2 center leader lines instead of 1.

      Some other kites that I used either briefly or for 1 or 2 days:

      ARC 630: Once (we were trying to figure out how to relaunch the Arc; we
      waited too long and the water got in the kite)
      Jojo Rage 4.0, 6.0 (closed cell foils): None
      C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite

      For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened cell
      foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it comes to
      water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just watch out
      for very cold water)...

      P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are probably
      due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going out in
      lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle to
      tangle)

      P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due to the
      fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for kitesurfing.

      Hung.
    • wahlum
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
        I fly F-ones in 3 line mode, and have never had to swim in due to not
        being able to re-launch on the water (and I do put them in the drink
        every once in a while!)

        The only time I had to swim in was when a flying line broke out in the
        middle of the bay. I paddled/dragged behind partial kite sail for a
        ways and then a fellow kiter towed me most of the way back to shore.

        Check them lines! :^)

      • peter_frank_dk
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
          I had a very close encounter once - an "almost" swim-in !

          Was out with a 22.3 m2 kite in the summer, in 8-9 knots, alone.
          During a jump far out, the kite went down.
          At the same time, the wind dropped to 5-7 knots.
          I sat on my (rather small) board, and was about to reverse relaunch.
          This is no problem, even in too light wind to kitesurf - you can
          reverse launch every kitesize in a few knots of wind in fact.
          BUT - my first attempt did not succed (I was not that experienced in
          reversing at that time - and not aware of what NOT to do). The kite
          backed up fine, but when I turned the kite around, I forgot to pull
          the frontlines enough - and the kite sat down on its trailing edge !!

          In this low wind, a huge high AR kite sitting with the T.E. down is
          simply PARKED for good.
          The wind was so low, that I drifted slowly. So I tied the bar to my
          board, and swimmed to the kite, and turned it around front tube down.
          Waited for the board/bar to drift to me - and then relaunched
          reverse "normally" again - and I could sinus my way back in.

          That was a close one !

          In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
          sideshore winds.
          I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
          So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
          the boards has no volume at all !
          And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar in
          the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
          further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
          long beach-run, to get it back !

          In another instance, I got a frontline wrapped around the kite - and
          could not "shake" it right, like you usually can.

          Then one of the buddies kited down to the kite, and tried pulling
          here and there, till it was free - thanks a lot !

          In another instance, my kite flew away (winter wind gusts) - and I
          was not leashed at that moment.
          One guy kited to my kite and held on to it, another kited to me, and
          pulled me downwind to my bar again (a loooong way).
          Again - thanks a lot for having friends !
          It saved me a lot of walking, and "off" the water time, which is
          never pleasant, but sometimes very educating in "things NOT to do"
          (like not having a kiteleash, in winter gusty wind).

          Once, when I had a Mosquito foil, it got so soaked because I was too
          slow at relaunching, that it was like an anchor. I was far out, just
          at the "jibing" point (how come you always drop the kite here, and
          not in shallow water ?)
          A windsurfer helped pulling me ashore, taking ½ or 1 hour - otherwise
          I think I might have had to let the kite go, and pick it up somewhere
          else - IF possible at all.
          Here I was out at a very large (you can not see land on the other
          side) fjord (almost closed bay), wind was sideshore, and I was
          drifting towards the very current-filled inlet/outlet of the fjord,
          where there are boat traffic, and fishing nets, and there can be sooo
          dangerous currents out to the sea, at low tide at this place.
          I was just lucky that he helped me. Because it was a fjord, I did not
          mind that the wind was sideshore (but I should have !)

          We never go out in sideshore wind - always slightly onshore at least,
          so IF the worst happens, you'll just drift ashore. It might take
          long, if you are far out - but you will get ashore.
          Especially when out in big waves - the wind is almost perfectly
          sideshore of course (best for jumping, riding) - but we still want it
          to be just a few degrees onshore, so we don't have to rely on the
          waves to "flush" us ashore.

          We have not had any accidents in big waves yet - but I think this is
          because of the lessons you learn by your and others mistakes/bad luck.

          At a kite contest early last year, I flew under my kite during a
          difficult trick attempt - it luffed, the main line got wrapped around
          the trailing edge - and teared the kite in two (almost - it stopped
          at the front tube of course) when it got powered again going down.
          Had to swim (or drift) ashore - but I was not far out because of the
          running heat. It was very easy to get a sailmaker to repair the kite -
          but when it happens, it is so violent to watch !

          These are my swim-ins, and near-swim-ins.

          Things can happen, and will happen - always prepare for the worst to
          happen before going out, but don't think too much (being scared - no
          good) while out there; just be careful when approaching others.

          :-) Peter

        • wipika_ab
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
            I had two swim-in so far and both in Texas!

            Once, on my AR5 9.5 the wind dropped to near nothing (damm Gusty
            Texas winds!!!) and I had to swim back to shore. Lucky me I was just
            200 meters from the beach, but it's always frustrating.

            Another time I was on my ARX 19.5 WITHOUT reverse lauching and the
            kite dropped from the sky in a big lull. Well... everybody with a
            kite this size and without reverse bridle, knows what happend
            next!! :))

            Good winds
            Carlos

          • hungvuatnetcomdotca
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > C-Quads: Almost 100% of each time I crashed the kite
              > >
              > > For all practical purposes, except for the C-Quads and the opened
              > cell
              > > foils, all other kites should be fine for kitesurfing when it
              comes
              > > water relaunching (a few swims in hot weather are great - just
              > watch out
              > > for very cold water)...
              > >
              > > P.S., The higher numbers for Wipika Classics 5.0 and 8.5 are
              > probably
              > > due mainly to my inexperience in the early days (therefore going
              > out in
              > > lighter winds and taking too long to relaunch causing the bridle
              > > tangle)
              > >
              > > P.P.S., The lower numbers for closed cell foils are probably due
              > the
              > > fact that I don't use them as frequent as inflatables for

            • hungvuatnetcomdotca
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2002
                --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
                > In the early days, I was out with a Naish AR5 5.5m2 in gusty
                > sideshore winds.
                > I let go of the kite in a gust, and the arm-leash got ripped off.
                > So I had to swim ashore on my board. This takes a long time, since
                > the boards has no volume at all !
                > And the kite flew away soooo long down the coast - in fact the bar
                in
                > the water held the kite flying for a long time, and it went slightly
                > further out this way (I could only watch...) - giving me a really
                > long beach-run, to get it back !

                If you also count swim-ins associated with accidents then I had one of
                these early Naish safety leash too and got it ripped the AR5 5.5 right
                out of my hands during a violent gust at Costamba, DR. I had to swim
                in without the kite and the kite still have a few patches for me to
                remember the incident.

                Hung.