KITER INCIDENT REPORT

  • James Forster
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hello all
      Whilst this report isn't nearly as serious as most given here, I feel it is newsworthy.
      Today, off Pinnaroo Point here in Perth W.A., at around 12.30 pm on an inward run, I was aware of a 22 ft cabin cruiser in the distance moving at about 15 knots, heading south between myself and the beach. By the time I was crossing the path he had travelled,(about 300 to 400 metres offshore) I wasn't thinking about him, suddenly, I was aware of something rising up my leading leg. I thought I had just snagged some lost heavy fishing line and brought the kite overhead to stop and sort it out. I was horrified when I realised that although I had stopped, the line was still moving through my hands. I tried to pass it under me but it somehow snagged on the board leash ankle band,( you all know what I'm thinking now, yeah !, where's the hook) I had no option but to release the velcro band and watch the board disappear .I watched and I waved to those on the boat as they pulled in their catch, I knew they could see me. Their behaviour seemed to be hesitant and it appeared to me that they couldn't decide what to do - in the end they took off with the board leaving me to body drag in.

      I packed up my gear on the beach and headed off to Hillarys Marina where I thought the boat would head, in time to meet the two occupants at the ramp. "Hi" I said, "you wouldn't happen to have my kite-board would you?".
      "What the f***'s a kite-board?" came the reply. I made my way past the first guy who was tying up the boat to have a look on the deck and saw the tail of my board sticking out the cabin. The second guy on the boat handed back the board when he knew that I had seen it.

      What have I learned from this?

      I would place a knife at the top of my kite-surfing accessory list, even more important than a helmet.

      Until recently, I had always carried a knife that I bought in Morro Bay C.A. of all places while on holiday there a couple of years ago - I only stopped taking it with me because the rivets on the sheath were badly rusted and I thought I may lose it.

      This boat, you understand, was trawling this line in a designated water-ski/sports area!

      Regards,

      James

    • kitetrade
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        James,

        This is horrifying and I have had hooks and lines wrapped around my
        board and myself a few times.. once a guy flicked a lure into my arm
        as I was going past and it dug into my arm .. scary - no apology
        nothing - like it was my fault.. problem is with kiting quite often
        the smooth and glassy spots have fishermen to windward.. it would be
        interesting to learn who has "right of way" in such circumstances.

        Adam Yared

        KiteTrade.Com )

        www.kitetrade.com
        info@...

        Int + 617 5445 1902
        Sydney Fax + 612 9475 0308

        --- In kitesurf@y..., "James Forster" <jamesforster@b...> wrote:
        > Hello all
        > Whilst this report isn't nearly as serious as most
        given here, I feel it is newsworthy.
        > Today, off Pinnaroo Point here in Perth W.A., at around 12.30 pm
        on an inward run, I was aware of a 22 ft cabin cruiser in the
        distance moving at about 15 knots, heading south between myself and
        the beach. By the time I was crossing the path he had travelled,
        (about 300 to 400 metres offshore) I wasn't thinking about him,
        suddenly, I was aware of something rising up my leading leg. I
        thought I had just snagged some lost heavy fishing line and brought
        the kite overhead to stop and sort it out. I was horrified when I
        realised that although I had stopped, the line was still moving
        through my hands. I tried to pass it under me but it somehow snagged
        on the board leash ankle band,( you all know what I'm thinking now,
        yeah !, where's the hook) I had no option but to release the velcro
        band and watch the board disappear .I watched and I waved to those
        on the boat as they pulled in their catch, I knew they could see me.
        Their behaviour seemed to be hesitant and it appeared to me that
        they couldn't decide what to do - in the end they took off with the
        board leaving me to body drag in.

        > I packed up my gear on the beach and headed off to Hillarys Marina
        where I thought the boat would head, in time to meet the two
        occupants at the ramp. "Hi" I said, "you wouldn't happen to have my
        kite-board would you?".
        > "What the f***'s a kite-board?" came the reply. I made my way past
        the first guy who was tying up the boat to have a look on the deck
        and saw the tail of my board sticking out the cabin. The second guy
        on the boat handed back the board when he knew that I had seen it.

        > What have I learned from this?
        >
        > I would place a knife at the top of my kite-surfing accessory
        list, even more important than a helmet.

        > Until recently, I had always carried a knife that I bought in
        Morro Bay C.A. of all places while on holiday there a couple of
        years ago - I only stopped taking it with me because the rivets on
        the sheath were badly rusted and I thought I may lose it.

        > This boat, you understand, was trawling this line in a designated
        water-ski/sports area!

        > Regards,
        >
        > James

      • throb_list
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
          James,

          Totally off topic, but a sor ot revenge story.

          Back in South Africa we used to dive (SCUBA) on a really nice wreck
          quiet far out to sea. This wreck is also routinely inhabited by
          fisherman who like to catch the large bait fish swimming around the
          wreck.

          Anyway when we arrive we often find that the fishermen have managed
          to anchor a bouy to the wreck to mark its position while they fish.
          Apparently it is illegal in SA to do this. Also when we dive it is
          illegal for them to remian with a certain range of the divers.

          Neadless to say there is always a argument when we arrive and they
          have been there all morning.

          Anyway to make a long story short we once simply went down on the
          wreck (about 35m down) and cut their line - result: when we came up
          there was a lot of arguments happening Apparently they knew the line
          was cut as soon as their bouy started floating away while ours
          remained stationary!!

          Second solution was to go down, grab their rope and tie it nice and
          solidly to the wreck!! Result: we are well and gone y the time they
          decide to retrieve their bouy and they loose a fairly expensive
          anchor every time!!!

          Later dude

          Anthony