Re: Aerodynamic kite LE tube

  • drsurfau
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2002
      Inflatable battens would not be stiff enough and would be way too bulky
      to be effective in a sailboard sail.

      Also don't be too carried away by believing that certain modifications
      would be great for kites. Already we have seen kites with lower aspect
      ratios being excellent performers. High aspect ratio kites may be
      efficient but it doesn't mean they are the best. Remember that a more
      efficient kite may be so fast that it may be too twitchy to be
      comfortable. If you haven't tried 2002 kites yet you may be surprised
      how good they are already with current designs.

      Not that kite technology can't be improved. But there is no good having
      a super capable kite with an incompetent kitesurfer dangling off the
      end of it.

      Less talk more kiting, get on the water!

      Have fun, Dave (Dr Surf Australia) COM

      PS. Be aware, a design frenzy may be a marketing frenzy in disguise
      whose sole purpose is to extract more $$$ from YOU!

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "ariraptis" <ariraptis@y...> wrote:

      > Why don't windsurfer sails use the inflatable bladder idea ?
      >
      > Do away with the battens,and create camber on the leading edge(with a
      > double surface )
      >
      > Could be the dawn of a new design frenzy !!
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@y..., "kitermatt" <kiter@w...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > I agree, camber inducers have no place in kites, but that is not
      > what
      > > I was talking about. I was saying that double surface leading edges
      > do
      > > have a place in kites. The reason that they have fallen out of
      > favor
      > > in windsurf sails for most windsurfers is that they make the sails
      > > hard to handle and heavy. The extra performance has too great a
      > > tradeoff vs. handling and fun. Now, they are mostly used in top end
      > > worldcup-style course-slalom and speed sails anymore, manifested as
      > > larger luff sleeves. However, in kites a double surface leading
      > edge
      > > is much more practical, since the only problems you will have to
      > deal
      > > with are water drainage. That problem has already been solved in
      > > full foil kites. The kite will be no harder to handle than before
      > but
      > > would be more efficient. This improves the fun/performance ratio
      > > greatly in their favor. Price might be the only downside. The
      > > resulting kite would be kind of a foil-inflatable hybrid, of course
      > > still leaning heavily toward its inflatable heritage. I also agree
      > > that a smaller diameter leading edge would also help in making the
      > > kites more efficient as well.
      > > The above concepts have already been executed in foil kites. I
      > think
      > > that making the inflatable leading edge more foil-like is going to
      > > happen in the industry.
      > > Matt
      > >
      > > --- In kitesurf@y..., "hernanhome" <HernanDeheza@f...> wrote:
      > > > Camber inducers and double surfaces in windsurfing sails has
      > > > a long story. Now a good non cambered sail is almost as good
      > > > as a cambered one for the average windsurfer. The only benefit
      > > > of cambers is make the profile more rigid, more stable, so more
      > > > efficient in high speed at high angle of attack. (good for RACE)
      > > > This is produced more by the mechanic propierties of the
      > > > inducer than the double surface of the leading edge.
      > > >
      > > > I think that we are not going to see any big player in the
      > industrie
      > > > doing this type of development.
      > > >
      > > > You could have a better airflow with a smaller radius and if
      > > > possible, more rigid LE.
      > > >
      > > > just my opinion
      > > > Hernan
    • dtraub1second
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 31, 2002
        I believe the more aerodynamic a kite is, the more likely it is to
        overfly you. If the leading edge was more aerodymic, other aspects
        of the kite would have to be changed to keep the kite from over
        flying. Foils are very aerodynamic but I doubt if they go up wind
        much better than a high AR sled because they are designed to prevent
        overflying. For example, the bridal lines could be set a little
        lower than would be optimal for upwind performance.

        Also, it is easy to design a cylindrical bladder that will hold its
        shape. I think an oval bladder would need internal structures to
        keep that shape. That would add undesireable weight.

        This is off topic but I wonder if taping viles of nitroglycerine to
        my board with be added incentive to avoid hard landings?

        Doug
      • loco4viento
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 31, 2002
          --- In kitesurf@y..., "dtraub1second" <dougtraub@m...> wrote:
          > This is off topic but I wonder if taping viles of nitroglycerine to
          > my board with be added incentive to avoid hard landings?
          > Doug

          Hey Doug,

          Some of the older kitesurfers keep a little vial of nitroglycerin
          tablets taped to their harnesses...a little one under your tongue now
          and then prevents heart attacks from just thinking about those hard
          landings.

          Hope the wind and water are treating you well,

          John
        • willempuk
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 8, 2002
            Hi to Dr Surf (and to others that might have info),

            Somewhere on the forum I read that you wrote that you have less kites
            due to the wide windrange of the Mach1. I was wondering if I could
            fly a set comfortably consisting of 9.1, 12.1 and 18.1. I would buy
            the 18.1 instead of the 15.1. Is it nice to do or a mistake? I'm
            afraid that the 15.1 will get me going later than the 11.8 (16m2)
            airblast in 2001. And with the airblast I already need some knots
            more than with a Rhino 16. I know the airblast 16.4 (22.4m2) is not
            as nice to fly as an 11.8. Perhaps it's the samen for the 18.1 Mach1?

            Other tips + info concerning Fone is of course welcome! (read about
            the left turning and the mylar/polyfuse discussion)

            Last saturday I tried a Mach1 9.1 and 12.1. Awesome kites!

            Regards,
            Puk!

          • cfglazier
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 8, 2002
              > I'm
              > afraid that the 15.1 will get me going later than the 11.8 (16m2)
              > airblast in 2001. > Last saturday I tried a Mach1 9.1 and 12.1.
              Awesome kites!

              Puk
              I have been flying my new F-One 15.1 with my friend who has a 2001
              Airblast 11.8. We are the same size, same skill, and similar boards.
              My F-One definitely has significantly more light wind power.

              I am not sure about he high wind limit because the most wind so far
              was 16-17 knots. I was very comfortable on the F-One. I am thinking
              that I can skip a size and get a 9.1 for my next smaller kite. Hope
              this helps.

              Chris G
            • drsurfau
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 9, 2002
                Hi Puk!

                My experience mainly deals with the 12.1 Mach 1 but based on this I
                recommend the kites highly. As I mentioned I replaced a 9.3m and a 12m
                kite with the Mach 1 12.1m and am happy not to have to decide much any
                more about which size kite to rig. I'm just over 60kg so a kite with a
                wide wind range is great.

                Others may be able to give their opinions on the comparative ranges of
                other sizes in the Mach 1's but if they are similar to my experience
                they should be good. Your first question needs to be what strength of
                wind will you be using the kite in and first get the size that suits
                the majority of your conditions. After using this kite you may have a
                different idea of what other sizes you need and will be able to buy
                accordingly.

                My F-One has no turning issues and even though I use it the most it
                shows no sign of wear. The PolyFuse bladder casings I was a bit
                sceptical about at first but they are strongly sewn and even though I
                pump them up drum tight they show absolutely no signs of weakness. The
                rest of the kite seems well made right to the bar and for a high aspect
                kite it relaunches easily on the rare times it hits the water.

                Buy one, you'll enjoy it for a long time.

                --- In kitesurf@y..., "willempuk" <willempuk@y...> wrote:
                > Hi to Dr Surf (and to others that might have info),
                >
                > Somewhere on the forum I read that you wrote that you have less kites
                > due to the wide windrange of the Mach1. I was wondering if I could
                > fly a set comfortably consisting of 9.1, 12.1 and 18.1. I would buy
                > the 18.1 instead of the 15.1. Is it nice to do or a mistake? I'm
                > afraid that the 15.1 will get me going later than the 11.8 (16m2)
                > airblast in 2001. And with the airblast I already need some knots
                > more than with a Rhino 16. I know the airblast 16.4 (22.4m2) is not
                > as nice to fly as an 11.8. Perhaps it's the samen for the 18.1 Mach1?
                >
                > Other tips + info concerning Fone is of course welcome! (read about
                > the left turning and the mylar/polyfuse discussion)
                >
                > Last saturday I tried a Mach1 9.1 and 12.1. Awesome kites!
                >
                > Regards,
                > Puk!

              • Bruce Bruce
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 9, 2002
                  Guys if your sick of trying to teach you girlfriend
                  then TRAQUA is running a KITEGIRL - girls only 4 day
                  intensive clinic in Sunny Cairns in May.
                  It's being run by Bec Nicholson Australain womens
                  champ and instructor. Bec has run a couple of these
                  around the the country and is getting a hugr response
                  from girls who want to get into kiting.
                  Cost is $490 and accom is available right on the
                  beach. Only 2 places left.
                  Contact me for more details.
                  bruce@...

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • Kitepower
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 10, 2002
                    I agree with Dave 100%
                    Still prefer my Norths though.
                    I have a new team rider on F-Ones though, and he weighs approx 65kg, rides
                    an Underground FD 1.38 mainly.
                    His range on the 18.1 is approx 6 - 13/14 knots comfortably.
                    On the 15.1 yesterday he never looked overcooked, whereas I was at times on
                    my North 16.0, and I am only slightly heavier at 72kg and on the similar
                    surface area Wave Tray 1.47.
                    Winds were 13 -17 knots.
                    He gets going on the 15.1 from approx 12 knots, so you can see there is not
                    much overlap.
                    I would recommend you go 18.1, 15.1, 9.1, and see if you need the 12.1
                    later.

                    Cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    http://www.kitepower.com.au
                    mailto:sydney@...
                    126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                    Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                    Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                    *
[...]
                    * >
[...]
                    * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                    *
                    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    *
                    *
                  • Kitepower
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 10, 2002
                      Bruse I want to book in my inflatable doll, I really want her to experience
                      kiteboarding, and she is not a trouble maker like me.
                      But I have to come too, she needs my support.
                      Ok?
                      Sorry
                      ;-))

                      Cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      http://www.kitepower.com.au
                      mailto:sydney@...
                      126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                      Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                      Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic
                      * Guys if your sick of trying to teach you girlfriend
                      * then TRAQUA is running a KITEGIRL - girls only 4 day
                      * intensive clinic in Sunny Cairns in May.
                      * It's being run by Bec Nicholson Australain womens
                      * champ and instructor. Bec has run a couple of these
                      * around the the country and is getting a hugr response
                      * from girls who want to get into kiting.
                      * Cost is $490 and accom is available right on the
                      * beach. Only 2 places left.
                      * Contact me for more details.
                      * bruce@...
                      *
                      * __________________________________________________
                      * Do You Yahoo!?
                      * Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
                      * http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                      *
                      * <<<to unsubscribe send a message to kitesurf-unsubscribe@egroups.com>>>
                      *
                      * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      *
                      *
                    • fabinhoj
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 10, 2002
                        I was thinking about a quiver with :
                        mach1 18.1 / north 12 / north 7
                        what do you think ? there´s a gap?overlap?
                        the winds here are average 6-8 to 15-20
                        cheers
                        Fabio

                      • rafael02es
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 10, 2002
                          Fabio,
                          No need for 3 kites if you want to cover 8-20 knots.
                          airblast 8.4 and 11.8 cover more windrange...
                          Sorry I know nothing about north and fone!

                          --- In kitesurf@y..., "fabinhoj" <fabinhoj@h...> wrote:

                          > I was thinking about a quiver with :
                          > mach1 18.1 / north 12 / north 7
                          > what do you think ? there´s a gap?overlap?
                          > the winds here are average 6-8 to 15-20
                          > cheers
                          > Fabio
                          >
                          > --- In kitesurf@y..., "Kitepower" <kitepower@b...> wrote:
                          > > I agree with Dave 100%
                          > > Still prefer my Norths though.
                          > > I have a new team rider on F-Ones though, and he weighs approx
                          > 65kg, rides
                          > > an Underground FD 1.38 mainly.
                          > > His range on the 18.1 is approx 6 - 13/14 knots comfortably.
                          > > On the 15.1 yesterday he never looked overcooked, whereas I was
                          at
                          > times on
                          > > my North 16.0, and I am only slightly heavier at 72kg and on the
                          > similar
                          > > surface area Wave Tray 1.47.
                          > > Winds were 13 -17 knots.
                          > > He gets going on the 15.1 from approx 12 knots, so you can see
                          > there is not
                          > > much overlap.
                          > > I would recommend you go 18.1, 15.1, 9.1, and see if you need the
                          > 12.1
                          > > later.
                          > >
                          > > Cya and
                          > > Goodwinds
                          > > Steve McCormack
                          > > http://www.kitepower.com.au
                          > > mailto:sydney@k...
                          > > 126 Beach St, Coogee, NSW, Australia 2034
                          > > Open 7 Days 9.30 - 5.30
                          > > Also at 386 Latrobe Terrace Geelong Vic

                        • windysite.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 10, 2002
                            I find it a luxury quiver!

                            18.1 from 6 to 14, Rhino 12 from 12 to 20, Rhino 7.5 from 18 to..... :-)

                            Cheers,

                            andoni