wedged ARC

  • arcsrule
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
      I know I could post this question to the ARc page, but there may be
      more and varried answers on this one. Yesterday after donating blood
      and drinking a couple of "SouthPaw Lights", i decided it was time to
      sew the wedge in my 1120. i marked it carefully and sewed it up.
      Not the best job. Just hope it works. I am not going to try to
      wedge my 840 until i see how this one flys. My question is-How will
      an unwedged 840 and a wedged 1120 fly when stacked? think the stack
      lines should be equal in length vs 3 inch longer on rears like I used
      before? Also, i have put a leech line in the 1120. I just snugged
      it a little and I can see a difference in the way the stack flys.
      But the 1120 on 120' lines still turns slow. What is the maximum
      amount the leach should be taken in? If taken in too much, what
      would be the reaction or effect.
      Thanks, Phil
    • monkeyair
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
        --- In kitesurf@y..., "arcsrule" <knowneed2@h...> wrote:
        > I know I could post this question to the ARc page, but there may be
        > more and varried answers on this one. Yesterday after donating
        blood
        > and drinking a couple of "SouthPaw Lights", i decided it was time to
        > sew the wedge in my 1120. i marked it carefully and sewed it up.
        > Not the best job. Just hope it works. I am not going to try to
        > wedge my 840 until i see how this one flys. My question is-How will
        > an unwedged 840 and a wedged 1120 fly when stacked? think the stack
        > lines should be equal in length vs 3 inch longer on rears like I
        used
        > before? Also, i have put a leech line in the 1120. I just snugged
        > it a little and I can see a difference in the way the stack flys.
        > But the 1120 on 120' lines still turns slow. What is the maximum
        > amount the leach should be taken in? If taken in too much, what
        > would be the reaction or effect.
        > Thanks, Phil
        Hi Phil. Did you add the leach line on the 1120 between the Peter
        Lynn insignia pannels or all the way along the trailing edge of the
        kite? The middle leach is a much better option. Way to much pulled in
        will cause a stally kite it gusty stuff and in heavy winds could
        actually flip the kite over. This is in ridiculously high wind with
        way too much leach pulled on. Yep, I did it once. It was blowing
        around 35 top on my 840 and I didn't bother adjusting my leach knot.
        OOOPS. You can easily start with 5 cm of leach and slowly advance
        from there. you will see the deformation in the trailing edge and
        over wedging becomes fairly obvious. Be careful when backing the kite
        down with to much leach as the kite will fly down rapidly. As far as
        flying kites wedged and unwedged in a stack, one of my instructors was
        flying his 630 unwedged with 840 wedged together on the same stack
        line set he had used prior to wedging the 840. He is a light guy and
        never needed to get a larger kite. Plywood John is the most stuck on
        stack arc articulator in the US to my knowledge. The Paperboard Cowboy
        should come out from under the ex ping pong table, green and white
        plywood tt shavings soon to respond to your post. My wedged 1120 on
        30 meters with flares and leach is a very quick turner. The forward
        attachment points afforded by the flares helps as well. Are you using
        the forward mounts on the sticks. The 1120 rocks in the surf if tuned
        correctly. Lots of chicken loop length. Appropriatly long brake
        extensions. Have fun! Traig, MonkeyAir kitesurfing.
      • arcsrule
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
          > Hi Phil. Did you add the leach line on the 1120 between the
          Peter
          > Lynn insignia pannels or all the way along the trailing edge of the
          > kite?
          Yes. Not difficult at all. Just sewed it to the triling edge trim.

          Be careful when backing the kite

          No kidding! Flys down fast!

          Lots of chicken loop length.
          I'm using about 6" longer than my reaching ability.

          Appropriatly long brake
          > extensions.
          My center is on a rollercleat so i can adjust as needed. So far i
          seem to kneed only two adjustment positions. One for extremely light
          air and one for wind. I haven't tried a lot of wind yet!

          Have fun! Traig, MonkeyAir kitesurfing. Thanks Traig, i am !
        • kiteboard2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
            The question is still unanswered: does your leech line extend from
            tip-to-tip, or just between the grey cells?

            Mel