Heel straps or not?

  • Hung Vu
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25 11:59 PM
      I perfer using heel straps with a bidirectional board.

      Some uses only foot strap with a bidirectional board. Is it only for
      the "one-or-no-foot-in-strap-trick" or for any other reasons?

      P.S., Full binding is overkill in kitesurfing/kitesnowboarding (I
      normally tighten up my binding snowboarding but have it VERY LOOSE
      kitesnowboarding).

      Hung.
    • peter_frank_dk
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26 12:44 AM
        Well, the trick part is only a matter for some kiters.

        But you have a lot more freedom when you start in shallow water, or
        jump off your board in shallow water (or landing on the beach).
        And my experiences are, that no matter what you do, you will be able
        to hold a twintip on your feet almost all the time (and get rid of it
        too, if necessary).
        Even if you land straight on your back, while over or underrotating a
        jump - you don't loose your board. Just bend your legs, and keep the
        board above water. Very easy, if used to doing so.

        Even if you pull the board straight down under the water and forward
        to a water start, it will not slide off (just like wakeboarders do).

        If you are about to make a difficult relaunch of your kite, you sit
        on your board (whatever small size it might have), and when
        waterstarting again - just step in and GO.
        Having the board on your feet when relaunching is such a menage, that
        I kick it off, unless the kite is ready for a quick launch of course.

        The point is, that when you don't need the heelstraps, it will limit
        your freedom a lot.

        I know that many heel straps simply pops up themeselves - but then
        you still need to step into the straps more from above (thats not
        what you want, when IN the water), and it is very difficult, or
        rather impossible, to kick the board off.

        Of course you will occasionally lose your board, but it happens soooo
        rare - maybe a full days radical trick and high jump session can work
        without losing the board at all, eventhough you will crash often -
        that I would not "miss" the freedom footstraps gives you (and you
        have the trick possibility too)
        This is also why I dumped the leash long ago (Going non-board-upwind
        is fast).

        On other bidirectionals than true Twintips, like wakeboards or the
        new thick-wake-bidiretionals, I need the heelstraps.
        These boards will not stay "put" in the same way as round twintips,
        in the landings.

        Of course the level of the kiter means a lot.
        As a medium skilled kiter one would not be able to hold the board on
        ones feet all the time, even when medium kiters often only
        performs "easy" tricks/jumps...

        Just my observations.

        :-) Peter Frank

        --- In kitesurf@y..., Hung Vu <hungvu@n...> wrote:
        > I perfer using heel straps with a bidirectional board.
        >
        > Some uses only foot strap with a bidirectional board. Is it only
        for
        > the "one-or-no-foot-in-strap-trick" or for any other reasons?
        >
        > P.S., Full binding is overkill in kitesurfing/kitesnowboarding (I
        > normally tighten up my binding snowboarding but have it VERY LOOSE
        > kitesnowboarding).
        >
        > Hung.
      • vide72au
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26 1:51 AM
          I think with good footpads with arch support, and Adam Koch /
          NSI Style straps - heel straps are now redundant.

          These new style straps hold your feet in so tight, but you can still
          get your feet out for Judo airs or when you need to bail.

          I always thought heel straps were pretty dangerous - becasue if
          one foot comes loose the chances or breaking your ankle are
          pretty high.

          I never come out of my koch straps unless I want to - and they
          give you heaps of support for edging hard or boosting big.

          DT
        • hungvuatnetcomdotca
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26 7:26 AM
            --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
            > On other bidirectionals than true Twintips, like wakeboards or the
            > new thick-wake-bidiretionals, I need the heelstraps.
            > These boards will not stay "put" in the same way as round twintips,
            > in the landings.

            So what makes the difference?

            --- In kitesurf@y..., "vide72au" <vide72au@y...> wrote:
            > I think with good footpads with arch support, and Adam Koch /
            > NSI Style straps - heel straps are now redundant.

            Does arch-support footpad work with water-shoe? Bare footing is not
            an option in Canada in Spring and Fall.

            Hung.
          • peter_frank_dk
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26 3:13 PM
              --- In kitesurf@y..., "hungvuatnetcomdotca" <hungvu@n...> wrote:
              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "peter_frank_dk" <pf@4...> wrote:
              > > On other bidirectionals than true Twintips, like wakeboards or
              the
              > > new thick-wake-bidiretionals, I need the heelstraps.
              > > These boards will not stay "put" in the same way as round
              twintips,
              > > in the landings.
              >
              > So what makes the difference?

              A wakeboard or combo board (sharp straight edged) does not have the
              same dynamic absorbtion when landing, and will definitively create
              more torque force in some occasions, meaning you will slip easier.
              That is - if the TT and wake is about the same length and weight.

              > --- In kitesurf@y..., "vide72au" <vide72au@y...> wrote:
              > > I think with good footpads with arch support, and Adam Koch /
              > > NSI Style straps - heel straps are now redundant.
              >
              > Does arch-support footpad work with water-shoe? Bare footing is
              not
              > an option in Canada in Spring and Fall.

              Yes - no difference whether you have shoes or not.
              Why do you wear shoes in the fall ? Is your water cold ?
              Here, the water is very cold in the spring of course - but all fall
              the water is extremely warm, regardless of freezing air temperatures.
              The specific heat of water is quite tremendous - meaning it wont cool
              down till far into the winter. Great ! Lots of wind, and warm water
              in the fall.
              But some geographic locations are influenced solely by changing
              currents - and can get sudden cold water. Is that in Canada ?

              We are praised with warm water in the fall, and in the spring - the
              current changes to warmer water suddenly, so we don't need to wait
              for the sun to heat up the water (takes soooo long). And the current
              does not change back till after the fall. Yahooo !

              Here, some people are wearing shoes/booties in the fall, simply
              because they "think" the water is cold, when the weather is.
              This is one of the biggest misconceptions of all times !

              :-) Peter Frank