Knots, please. Re: Airush - sizing - another ?

  • peter_frank_dk
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
      Knots - yes !

      It is the standard in all sailing regulations and rules, all over the
      world.

      Here in Denmark, in the media, and technically, we use meter per
      second (m/s), as in most of Europe today.

      In daily talk amongst sailors - knots OR m/s are used.

      m/s is becoming the standard today, because its the metrical system.
      But the conversion factor is very close to 2 (3600/1852), so it does
      not matter for us whether it is knots or m/s...

      It is funny though - when there is a storm with exceptional
      windspeeds, then the media changes to km/h - I guess in order to tell
      the non-sailor what speed the wind has.
      But it is really confusing, no-one uses km/h for windspeed !
      We have to convert to knots or m/s to understand...
      I think the mph (outside Europe) is used more - but isn't it almost
      an "ancient" unit for wind speed ???

      In all sailing/surfing schools - the beaufort scale is taught too.
      But it is to no use - maybe for fishermen, but thats it.

      If you buy an European wind measuring unit (anemometer), it will
      usually have three units to choose: knots, m/s, and km/h.
      The latter I still assume is for the non-sailor, or kid.

      Knots is the single unit that we know all over the world, and on
      (almost) all anemometers !

      :-) Peter

      --- In kitesurf@y..., "kitesicko" <deejay@z...> wrote:
      > G'Day Rainer,
      >
      > Nautically speaking, and as we are all part of the ocean sports
      > world, we should all be speaking in knots, however most Americans
      > talk in that old fashioned MPH stuff.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Darren
      >
      > --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Stefano. wrote:
      > > > I am annoyed at trying to explain to people what size kite they
      > should get.
      > >
      > > Easy solution. Stick with recommendations of brands that use
      > > non-obfuscated sizing schemes.
      > > R!
      > >
      > > P.S.: For wind speeds do you guys talk mph, knots, m/s, bft? At
      > least we
      > > have straight forward conversions for the first three 8)
    • hungvuatnetcomdotca
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        I think Rainer bring up a good point here. The issue (my concern is
        more about SAFETY of the beginners) with different kite size schemes
        used by different manufacturers is becasue they don't indicate any
        explicit UNIT for their size measurement (as oppose to the
        explicit units used in wind measurement: km/h, mph, m/s, ft/m or
        knots)

        It's best if all vendors use the same unit (the flat size standard is
        currently proposed as the implicit unit).

        For those vendors who are unwilling to use the flat size standard
        now for what ever reasons, please AT LEAST explicitly indicate the
        kite size units (on your kites, web site, brochures and user manuals).

        For example:

        11.5 (Nothing is needed for the standard flat area unit -
        also "flat" can be used for clarity)
        11.5 cal (Calculated area, Wipika style)
        11.5 sail (Windsurfing sail comparison, Naish style)
        11.5 prj (projected area)
        11.5 h (Hung's area, flat area divided by Pi or 3.14...)
        etc... (Other exotic formulas)

        P.S., AS you can see a 11.5 and a 11.5 prj are two DIFFERENT kites...
        And don't dare to use a 11.5 h kite if you want to be alive...

        P.P.S., There is also this standard "m2" unit in kite size that is
        currently implicit (therefore not mentioned).

        Hung.

        --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:

        > On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Stefano. wrote:
        > > I am annoyed at trying to explain to people what size kite they
        should get.

        > Easy solution. Stick with recommendations of brands that use
        > non-obfuscated sizing schemes.
        > R!
        >
        > P.S.: For wind speeds do you guys talk mph, knots, m/s, bft? At
        least we
        > have straight forward conversions for the first three 8)
      • Stefano.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
          > On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Stefano. wrote:
          > > I am annoyed at trying to explain to people what size kite they should get.
          >
          > Easy solution. Stick with recommendations of brands that use
          > non-obfuscated sizing schemes.

          In brazil the 2 most common brands are wipika and naish. so when i say a 9km kite
          it can be a 9 m naish or an 8.4 airblast... real easy to explain.

          > P.S.: For wind speeds do you guys talk mph, knots, m/s, bft? At least we
          > have straight forward conversions for the first three 8)

          sailors and windsurfers genereally use knots. sometimes here people use km/h..
          forecasts use m/s